Lakemaster v5 vs. v6

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can anyone speak to the benefit of upgrading to Lakemaster Dakotas/Nebraska v6?

I know v5 only had Sak out to 41 feet, did they get that upgraded? Any other lakes they improved?

Is it worth the money?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

I know v5 only had Sak out to 41 feet, did they get that upgraded? Any other lakes they improved?

Is it worth the money?
I’d like to know this as well. I thought they rescanned Sak last year, but I haven’t noticed if that has been released or not.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
V- I looked at the lake list for v6 and they took the 41 foot scan notation off, but I'd like to know from someone who has it as well.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
V- I looked at the lake list for v6 and they took the 41 foot scan notation off, but I'd like to know from someone who has it as well.
I have Sak on their mobile app, and assume the update will happen there automatically, but have not noticed a change for Sak, yet.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a V6 chip because I needed one for the front of the boat unit. I have only fished Audubon so far. if I get time in next day of so will try and look on chip and see what it looks like. If you are in Bismarck and going up this during the week you could use it to try it and see if anything is gained, or you could cone get it and explore it on your unit while not on the water let me know.

Last edited:

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a V6 chip because I needed one for the front of the boat unit. I have only fished Audubon so far. if I get time in next day of so will try and look on chip and see what it looks like. If you are in Bismarck and going up this during the week you could use it to try it and see if anything is gained, or you could cone get it and explore it on your unit while not on the water let me know.
Yeah, if you get a chance, see if the contours on Sak go out past 41 feet, and how deep they go, that would be great. Thanks for the help!

I'd take you up on the offer to borrow but I'm out of town until the middle of next week. ND

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made a few calls and found out that the v6 update includes contours on Sakakawea out to 81 feet now as well as an HD scan of Devils Lake.

Not a large amount of change, but since I'm headed to DL next weekend and Scheels has them on sale for $100, I bought it and put the v5 chip in my bow unit.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I made a few calls and found out that the v6 update includes contours on Sakakawea out to 81 feet now as well as an HD scan of Devils Lake.

Not a large amount of change, but since I'm headed to DL next weekend and Scheels has them on sale for $100, I bought it and put the v5 chip in my bow unit.
Looking forward to seeing if you notice a difference. Especially in the 20+ fow range.

Caleface

Is it worth the money?
V6 has no o improvement on sak. However, lake master was out last summer or the one previous when the lake was low and re scanned. We've been trying to pry info from them on their Facebook posts but they don't know when it will come out or be added. The fact that it's no ot an update and you have to buy new cards says alot about humminbird and lake master. They've become the Apple of marine electronics. Don't forget to pick up a dongle on your way out. Thanks.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
V6 has no o improvement on sak. However, lake master was out last summer or the one previous when the lake was low and re scanned. We've been trying to pry info from them on their Facebook posts but they don't know when it will come out or be added. The fact that it's no ot an update and you have to buy new cards says alot about humminbird and lake master. They've become the Apple of marine electronics. Don't forget to pick up a dongle on your way out. Thanks.
Thanks for the info. Pretty infuriating to say the least.

I just switched to Humminbird this summer. Had quite a struggle even getting a Dakota chip from a popular outdoor store's website, then when it was resolved, they sent me a V2 chip. I had no idea until now that it was a V2 and wonder just how ripped off I got for buying what I thought was a new chip only to find it was potentially 4 years old? I've been using it all summer, but now I feel like I got hoodwinked after reading there was a V5 and probably all the versions after that, too.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where the hell were you last week?!!! If Scheels screws me on this deal I'm going to be pissed off. Was told contours to go 81 feet on v6 for sak by the fishing manager.

What is this dongle you speak of?

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just switched to Humminbird this summer. Had quite a struggle even getting a Dakota chip from a popular outdoor store's website, then when it was resolved, they sent me a V2 chip. I had no idea until now that it was a V2 and wonder just how ripped off I got for buying what I thought was a new chip only to find it was potentially 4 years old? I've been using it all summer, but now I feel like I got hoodwinked after reading there was a V5 and probably all the versions after that, too.
Probably older than that. I'm thinking we are waiting for v7 for the data they collected recently.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lakemaster produces 3 chips, if you have a Lakemaster Plus V2.0, you have the current chip with added satellite imagery for non water areas. If you have a standard Lakemaster V6.0, that is also the current version but without the satellite imagery features. There is also a SmartStrike version, but I am unsure of the current version on that.

I am impatiently(ha) waiting to hear someone has good luck with the 6.0 as it shows as an updated lake on the Lakemaster Lakes list on the website. But I too am afraid the 3.0/7.0 versions are what we need.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.humminbird.com/learn/ma...IgFWjLMQu5Z7Iq0QaGRAbr84rw9Bg23kenPh03rMyi9mw

When did these Premium chips with VX get released? I would like having that 5 layers of depth shading.
Just at the beginning of the month, I've been waiting patiently for them to hit the store shelves, but its sure taking a minute. Story also is that the 1.0 version does include the new mapping of Sak, I know someone who had to go re-map a few areas for Lakemaster and he will get a new 2.0 for free when it comes out (might be awhile).

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84