Military Question

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I had a friend tell me that there is currently a Government Shutdown of sorts, and that when this happens the military guys DON'T GET THEIR PAYCHECKS?? Possibly for days or weeks even?

Is this common?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe in the past their checks have been delayed but get everything they are owed when funding is approved. If I not mistaken non essential government employees are sent home but also get paid ( even the days they didn't work ) when funding is approved.

Just my luck the government gets shut down just when my suppressor trust gets to the top after 13 months, another fkn delay, I received a call with a couple questions on Thursday

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only ones that should loose their pay are the asshats that can't make a decision on how to run\fund this country. :mad:

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Depends on their status. Some Soldiers will be able to stay on orders and will eventually get back paid, while others, such as me, had their orders terminated effective 1159PM last night and will not be getting paid until the government approves a budget and we can have a new set of orders created... meaning, I lost my job temporarily and I will not be back paid for it. Oh, that includes benefits such as health insurance. Pretty shitty deal, but hard to stress about it when we don't control the outcome. Anyone serving overseas will keep doing their job and be back paid, which is most important.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
V...the military continue to serve and receive their pay/allowances/entitlements. Federal civilian employees deemed non-essential (me), will report in to work on Monday, receive a briefing, then sign our furlough acknowledgement. There are no guarantees we will receive back pay for the days furloughed once a spending bill is passed. We were furloughed in 2013 for 2 weeks...in that case we did receive pay for our furloughed days. What people tend to forget tho is that in 2013 leading up to the furlough, they cut our hours to 32 hours a week/64 hours per 80 hour pay period. That began in July and ran thru the shutdown on 1 October...we did not receive back pay for those lost hours. Hopefully a spending bill is passed later next week...I'll probably be out fishing Monday I guess!

Siouxeet

Founding Member
Founding Member
So our military isn’t being paid until a deal is reached to let illegals stay. Democrats continue to prove how anti American they are.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think all welfare payments should be suspended first and no back pay when it's resolved. Then all of Congress the Senate and other senior Govt employees should lose all pay and benefits with no back pay before the military is touched.

AND all support, either monetary or goods to any and all foreign interests stopped.

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
how many millions of dollars is this going to cost us? frikken ridicules

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite was the last time this happened, the infamous sequester that Obama constantly whined about, everyone realized no one missed the government that went away. Later on his administration claimed they were responsible for a decline in the deficit. All of which was because of the people who were laid off. In the end though, especially military speaking, the bureaucrats will keep getting paid and will probably get a raise by the time this is over. Any time and every time some congressional clown runs his mouth about our poor underfunded servicemen and women in order to get the constituents all riled up he never really means the same servicemen and women that the public thinks of when we hear those words. Instead the bureaucrats and contractors as well as throwing a snuck-in congressional raise soak up all the new "defense spending" leaving the "boots" right where they were before while the political football goes sailing overhead.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
The very people you are talking about are still getting paid.;:;banghead The asshats that let this happen.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a friend tell me that there is currently a Government Shutdown of sorts, and that when this happens the military guys DON'T GET THEIR PAYCHECKS?? Possibly for days or weeks even?

Is this common?

Not true, active duty still gets paid every two weeks even during these pansy ass shutdowns.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
And the question continues, why do we keep electing the same people who create these problems? Because the asshats we are talking about are from other states that ours are working so diligently for us. LOL

To be honest, the last time we had a shutdown I didn't even notice it. Had I wanted to go visit a national park or something like that I might have noticed. My SS check was probably late but I'm fortunate that SS is not my sole source of income. I suppose I have some friends or acquaintances who were furloughed but they never complained to me as they probably had a few extra days to fish.

There are a hundred ways the government could continue operating that would not affect the military, the government employees and other personnel that work for the good of the country, but instead they shut down things that affect the citizens of this country first. Make it miserable for the common man but make sure non-citizens and countries that continue to hate us get their share.

Pisses a guy off doesn't it. Hell we might all be better off if the government did shut down for a few days or longer. If they're not in Washington the can do no harm.

PS I wonder if I can still fish on Lake Alice tomorrow since it's a National Wildlife Refuge?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Exempt" federal employees have to show up for work or risk being placed on AWOL (absent without leave) status. Arguably, they get even the shortest end of the stick. Not only are they required to show up for work, if they get sick they are then stuck in limbo (either AWOL, or furloughed) as opposed to being able to take enough time off for their illness or doctor's appointment.

Congress gets a big FU from me for their lack of give a damn about the people who they screw over.

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not true, active duty still gets paid every two weeks even during these pansy ass shutdowns.

Not quite...we still got paid in 2013 because they passed a bill to continue paying the military. They are trying to pass one now but haven't as of yet, if this lasts past 01 Feb, we won't get paid either. I love being a pawn in these asshats game.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
PS I wonder if I can still fish on Lake Alice tomorrow since it's a National Wildlife Refuge?

I am pretty sure the answer to that is no. But I also don't work for USFWS. National Parks, Historical Sites, and govt offices are to be closed and I am reasonably sure that the last time around this included Lake Darling. Perhaps someone can refresh our memory if Darling was closed.

- - - Updated - - -

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." Mark Twain, speaking on Congress.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most federal agencies have contracts with local Sheriff's departments to provide patrolling during the year.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever recommend anyone to TRESPASS on federal property.

I'd check the USFWS' website for rules and regs before I went.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trespass on federal lands is sort of a hobby of mine. I am thinking armed takeover of a headquarters is in my near future.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most federal agencies have contracts with local Sheriff's departments to provide patrolling during the year.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever recommend anyone to TRESPASS on federal property.

I'd check the USFWS' website for rules and regs before I went.

Claim you're protesting, toss some garbage on the ground, you'll be fine.

Not counting the military, considering they are one of the very few responsibilities the constitution assigns the federal government, the amount of employees the federal government pays is mindblowing. No time for a vacation boys, we have wallets to fill.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31