Military Question

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
Im active duty, Ive not got paid twice in 20 years. Both times was during a shut down

I call bullshit on this.

Military personnel were paid during the 2013 shutdown. Legislation was signed the night before the shutdown ensuring it would happen.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a friend tell me that there is currently a Government Shutdown of sorts, and that when this happens the military guys DON'T GET THEIR PAYCHECKS?? Possibly for days or weeks even?

Is this common?

From the 2013 shutdown:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/09/news/economy/shutdown-federal-workers-pay/index.html

I am not sure what this administration has done to protect the military pay schedule.

Last edited:

HomeSlice

Founding Member
Founding Member
827uf5qiscb01.jpg

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member

You do know majority can’t vote an appropriations bill through right?

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t want to make it look like I’m defending the Republicans though. Congress is 90% snakes imho. I’m actually not really heartbroken when government isn’t working. It’s when they get things done that they are stealing from us most efficiently.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The boys I served with liked to get paid so they could "Have a good time", but would keep walking the walk so to speak even if the paychecks stopped for a month or two. Everyone has bills, but they sure wouldn't walk off the line if the paycheck didn't show up. Hope these perpetual political popnozzles unf$%k this shrite right quick!!!

k9guy82

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes active duty wont get paid unless congress passes a bill saying that military personnel will get paid during shutdown. I'm at work and read memos sent from high brass stating we wont get paid. ("While military members will not be subject to furlough, they will not receive pay for
work performed after 19 Jan 2018 until an appropriation or CR is passed. This could create financial hardships for our military personnel.")

Some banks, like USAA, are still gonna pay their military customers. So you say BS that we wont get paid...im reading the memo as we speak. WE WONT GET PAID!:mad:

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
Yes active duty wont get paid unless congress passes a bill saying that military personnel will get paid during shutdown. I'm at work and read memos sent from high brass stating we wont get paid. ("While military members will not be subject to furlough, they will not receive pay for
work performed after 19 Jan 2018 until an appropriation or CR is passed. This could create financial hardships for our military personnel.")

Some banks, like USAA, are still gonna pay their military customers. So you say BS that we wont get paid...im reading the memo as we speak. WE WONT GET PAID!:mad:

Doug Jones tried to exempt military pay from the shutdown but Mitch McConnell instantly blocked it. Military pay has been exempt through every shutdown since 1980. Lets hope it does not change in 2018.

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Perhaps moot point...I believe the Senate has passed another CR extension which will keep the Government open until 8 Feb. Then we may go thru all of this again...so us civilians were furloughed for 1 day...this go round. I'm heading to the lake!

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about Nat'l Guard? Will it function as normal? Of course assuming this becomes a drawn out affair.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^Not sure Tail...is the Guard funded by the state in which they serve? For reservists and guard members thought whoever funded the position determined whether they are effected by a federal gov't shutdown?

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not true, active duty still gets paid every two weeks even during these pansy ass shutdowns.

Your statement is false. I'm active duty and when this is happening we DO NOT receive a pay check. Generally there will be something that comes down to allow the military to get paid however without that we do not receive a check. Once the shutdown is over we will receive whatever check we missed within a couple of days.

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
Your statement is false. I'm active duty and when this is happening we DO NOT receive a pay check. Generally there will be something that comes down to allow the military to get paid however without that we do not receive a check. Once the shutdown is over we will receive whatever check we missed within a couple of days.

How long have you been in?

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member

So you went through one shut down. It lasted 16 days. The "Pay Our Military" act was passed before that shutdown, ensuring the military would be paid as if there was no shutdown at all.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The military and varieties of pay status' can't all be lumped together. Title 10 Active duty military does get paid. Most Title 32 active duty military get paid as well. Title 32 Federal Technicians, who wear the uniform every day, do not get paid during a shutdown unless they are exempt and deemed necessary. 99% of the federal technicians in my building were furloughed yesterday after shutdown procedures were briefed.

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you went through one shut down. It lasted 16 days. The "Pay Our Military" act was passed before that shutdown, ensuring the military would be paid as if there was no shutdown at all.

Yes I did however up until the point of them passing the pay the military part we weren't going to be getting paid on the 1st. This is the same way...yes I expect to get paid on the first however during a shutdown you DO NOT get paid until congress passes an act stating that military will get paid or the shutdown ends.

Last edited:

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
Yes I did however up until the point of them passing the pay the military part we weren't going to be getting paid on the 1st. This is the same way...yes I expect to get paid on the first however during a shutdown you DO NOT get paid until congress passes an act stating that military will get paid or the shutdown ends.

I guess USMCDI is not making false statements. You got paid on time. I think this time will be the same. It sucks but the sky is not falling......yet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31