NE NoDak Game and Fish Meeting

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
www.qdma.com
Does anyone know if there is such a group active in north dakota
Shelter belts were utilized in many areas where soil has a tendency to blow away from the type of equipment used to get the fields ready for spring crops. With the introduction of the no till approach shelter belts are not needed. Unless farmers can work with thier local congress to get back federal funding to bring back crp. Well the truth is neither of these two policies are ever coming back the way they were 20 years ago.
Hemp will be grown in north dakota like it has been growing in the north for 20+ years. 41fada8a229c61e850be1598b775feb3--the-planets-hemp.jpg
It will give outdoors man, farmers as wellbas dnrs or NDGF another alternative solution to protect the young mothers and thier off spring from predators. Not just deer but all wild game that need shelter from predators, worm shelter belts collect snow so one side will be full of snow which(like a orange snow fence) while the other side of the shelter belts will have significantly less snow. These areas protect herds of deer from the cold winds punishment when deer don't have to walk through deep snow drifts to get to a feeding area less predators can take on big healthy pregnant deer.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I think what guywhoisntgunnabuildaskatepark is saying is that farmers don't need to be so damn greedy and plow everything up. I personally know "farmers" north of Williston, who are millionaires many times over due to oil, who were ripping out tree rows and burning sloughs this past spring that I hunted as a kid. Very sad sight. They don't need the money for sure, and they are the biggest welfare recipients in the county if you go by all the farm subsidies they receive, and I'm talking subsidies in the millions. They didn't invent oil, nor did they invent the technique to extract it, but boy do they ever reap the rewards. Which is fine, their grandpa homesteaded and got it all for free, and handed it down. Pretty easy to inherit a bunch of land from we the people with Saudi Arabia 10000 ft below and make it. Just have a heart and leave a few tree rows and sloughs for the wildlife. I know, that's asking a lot............

I know what guy is saying. What other business has he "said" should change their business model so it benefits his recreational opportunities?

I personally don;t like to see these changes anymore than anyone else here probably, but whining about it on the internet does what exactly?

Is guy (and others) just content with his own little personal habitat or has he approached any of these farmers and suggested possibly coming ot a mutually beneficial arrangement to save some of this "habitat"?

How many dollars and hours of work has he/or others put into creating habitat where there was none to benefit wildlife?

Whining on an internet site about those greedy farmers is easy.....what does it actually accomplish?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many dollars and hours of work has he/or others put into creating habitat where there was none to benefit wildlife?

Whining on an internet site about those greedy farmers is easy.....what does it actually accomplish?

Whoa up a bit gst. There are several threads on here about food plots, tree plantings, and other similar actions from many NDA'ers that you can look at and see there are numerous folks spending money and time working to improve wildlife habitat from all over ND. You might want to keep that in mind before painting farmers as the only ones giving something up and trying to keep the wildlife going. Carry On.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lunk, I think in certain areas it would work well , The problem is the $ 2500 permit.

Yes maybe it would be a big chance for some to take but it's a small investment in a bigger picture of a wildlife sanctuary.
That's why I brought up qdma which could work with donations to plant hemp shelters that can be a renewable approach each season. It's all hypothetical approach to a big problem which is habitat

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this permit a one time thing or an annual thing Lunk. Just asking cuz I'm lazy tonight and don't want to look it up myself. Thanks!!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this permit a one time thing or an annual thing Lunk. Just asking cuz I'm lazy tonight and don't want to look it up myself. Thanks!!

I am not sure about the permit ,Davey was the one who brought it up.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Lunk. Like I said, feeling lazy tonight. Guess I'll be doing some net surfing if Mr. Crockett doesn't chime in.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know what guy is saying. What other business has he "said" should change their business model so it benefits his recreational opportunities?

I personally don;t like to see these changes anymore than anyone else here probably, but whining about it on the internet does what exactly?

Is guy (and others) just content with his own little personal habitat or has he approached any of these farmers and suggested possibly coming ot a mutually beneficial arrangement to save some of this "habitat"?

do you ever provide solutions? (not just general ideas either)

God knows your willing to put in a fair bit of time behind the keyboard. type out a road map wont ya?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's every growing season unless it's been changed for 2018 , I looked a while back for 18 and it just said fees. I'm pretty sure 2017 was $ 2500. Not sure how the study went up North for livestock feed but it's high protein they were going to try the meal as hog feed after the oil was cold pressed if they could get it approved. I used to see a hog farmer from up there that comes down for hockey games but haven't seen him this year .

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to hunt a 20 acre slough ringed by cattails. Put some floaters in the water, shells on the stubble and sit in the middle in the cattails. Killer set up. The cattails were full of Canada Thistle etc. and I couldn't help but think, "what a reservoir of bad weeds seeding down the fields."

Whenever we had a dry fall and the water receded, that farmer would burn and till the whole thing. So....out of plywood we built a blind much like a muskrat mound covering it with mud and sticks. Could have caught waterfowl with a butterfly net.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think what guywhoisntgunnabuildaskatepark is saying is that farmers don't need to be so damn greedy and plow everything up. I personally know "farmers" north of Williston, who are millionaires many times over due to oil, who were ripping out tree rows and burning sloughs this past spring that I hunted as a kid. Very sad sight. They don't need the money for sure, and they are the biggest welfare recipients in the county if you go by all the farm subsidies they receive, and I'm talking subsidies in the millions. They didn't invent oil, nor did they invent the technique to extract it, but boy do they ever reap the rewards. Which is fine, their grandpa homesteaded and got it all for free, and handed it down. Pretty easy to inherit a bunch of land from we the people with Saudi Arabia 10000 ft below and make it. Just have a heart and leave a few tree rows and sloughs for the wildlife. I know, that's asking a lot............

Sounds like you should be pissed at your grandpa for not having the foresight to get in on that free land and all that easy living

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Whoa up a bit gst. There are several threads on here about food plots, tree plantings, and other similar actions from many NDA'ers that you can look at and see there are numerous folks spending money and time working to improve wildlife habitat from all over ND. You might want to keep that in mind before painting farmers as the only ones giving something up and trying to keep the wildlife going. Carry On.

KDM are they the ones whining about shit on here? Not painting anyone as the habitat kings, just tire of seeing these threads whining about tree rows being removed as a business decision by those that own or farm the lands a few times every year.

When guy gets his skate board park built along side his business I'll give him credit for doing what he expects of others.

- - - Updated - - -

do you ever provide solutions? (not just general ideas either)

God knows your willing to put in a fair bit of time behind the keyboard. type out a road map wont ya?

Well I have spent a few thousand dollars out of my own pocket creating "solutions" on our lands. Last winter we had over 600 deer wintering on what we have created. I would imagine more than a few sportsmen have benefited from our "solutions".

What is your "solution" or are you still busy giving out bad rep signing other peoples names to it?

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
nice road map ;:;banghead

I ask the genius for solutions, for a road map, and he, somehow, replies with a question...

I think his brain is broken or something?

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
State program similar to wrp. Use a % of license fees and plots $. Maybe some of the outdoor fund thingy.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
State program similar to wrp. Use a % of license fees and plots $. Maybe some of the outdoor fund thingy.

no, but what have YOU done.......oh nevermind, I can't even joke about that joker with a clear conscience

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most I do is not burn my sloughs.

- - - Updated - - -

Or cut my trees. But, I only have 25 acres. So, it don't mean much.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11