New Golden Retriever Puppy, (puppy food recommendations)

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to feed Purina. Older dog had constant ear infections. Switched to Nutri-Source and really brought the number of infections down. He maybe gets them twice a year now, versus darn near every month with Purina.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fish oil tabs for my English Lab twice a week makes her coat shine like a new penny and no dry skin. Beneful Original beef is all I have ever used for all my Labs and other dogs. Live long and healthy, no problems.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use Pro Plan large breed (chocolate lab). Occasional ear infections, but that was probably more on his owner than the food (failed to clean as often has I should). Tried Science Diet as a puppy. He ate it, but would gain weight like crazy and had other various minor medical issues. Realized corn was the main ingredient. Switched to try Nutro and dog ended up vomiting bile quite often (found out dogs can be allergic to beat pulp as an ingredient and it stopped once I changed food). Changed to Pro Plan and he lost weight and was pretty darn healthy the past 9+ years. I will switch from large breed to performance during the hunting season. Whatever you do, pick a food with a protein (ie: chicken) as the main ingredient on the bag and don't be afraid to spend a bit more. Even though the food costs more, you won't need to feed them as much and the more natural ingredients, the less waste dogs will produce.

HuntFish4life

Hunt,also with goldens try to brush his fur out daily in the spring as they loose winter coat(puppy coat now) and in the fall when they loose they're fine summer coat,its healthy for them and keeps the hair balls at bay in the house.

Don't know his name but by the looks on his face I suspect he thinks his name is "NO" for a couple months anyway...;)

Just remember when you change food brands to cycle in the new brand in small doses so his body can take w/o issues for a few days before you go 100%.

My 1st golden was brought up on purina,lived 15+ years,his last hunt was@ 13yrs(pheasants in small willow patches) today look at the ingredients,make sure nothing comes from china!

Lol. He probable does think it is no.

Last edited:

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out dogfoodadvisor.com. they rate all the different foods and list all the ingredients and highlight that bad stuff in each one. When looking through the ingredients list the bad stuff is listed in red. Find one with 5 stars and as few red items as possible. I feed my wirehair merrick grain free. We just recently put her on it and within a few days there was a noticeable difference in her coat and she wait scratching so much.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34