New ice rod case

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Time for a new ice rod case, looking for a hard sided model with plenty of rod and tackle storage. What's everyone using, pros, cons?

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought the new case Scheels has. Holds 6 rods and all my tackle. So far I have nothing bad to say about it

Mgx2400

Honored Member
That's the one I'd get. The next size smaller is hard to close without my rod handles folded up

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that the outfitters ultimate case for $130?

Yep. Got it for 100 bucks at the Fargo ice show a few weeks back. Can get 6 rods in without folding any handles. I have 3 straight line reels and 3 spinning reels

And I believe that it holds 5 Plano 3500 boxes and one larger box.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.thereelshot.com/products/eagle-claw-hard-ice-rod-case

This is a nice case for half the price of the innovation case. Guywholikestoshare was the first person that posted he had the innovation case. It's a nice case but it's quite large and takes up lots of space. 20180420-220236.jpg20180420-220205.jpg
It's a beast of a case that is for sure but it holds everything I need when I'm out on the ice. My case with everything in it weighs around 30 pounds so it's not a real mobile case
https://mycasebuilder.com/cases-by-brand/custom-foam-flambeau-cases/fz-7-custom-foam-case/
here is a link to the innovation case where you can customize your own foam to fit your needs

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.thereelshot.com/products/eagle-claw-hard-ice-rod-case

This is a nice case for half the price of the innovation case. Guywholikestoshare was the first person that posted he had the innovation case. It's a nice case but it's quite large and takes up lots of space. 78632194_832051160566608_4692099561533997056_n.jpgDF8B0A9C-1A44-4A6B-ABB5-06BB0106B0AC.jpg
It's a beast of a case that is for sure but it holds everything I need when I'm out on the ice. My case with everything in it weighs around 60 pounds so it's not a real mobile case
https://mycasebuilder.com/cases-by-brand/custom-foam-flambeau-cases/fz-7-custom-foam-case/
here is a link to the innovation case where you can customize your own foam to fit your needs
I've been looking at that Eagle Claw one online. Seems to be a nice case for the money.:;:thumbsup

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been looking at that Eagle Claw one online. Seems to be a nice case for the money.:;:thumbsup
yes for amount of money you could buy 2 of the innovation cases. I build my own custom ice rods so I wanted the best case on the market. Good luck with whatever you choose beats using buckets and tarp straps

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Time for a new ice rod case, looking for a hard sided model with plenty of rod and tackle storage. What's everyone using, pros, cons?

I got one of the Plano hat cases. Not one of the cheap ones but one of the imitation pelican cases. Prob paid $50 and way more sturdy than the cases mad just for ice rods.

Jm1986

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up the new Stryker case at the Fargo ice show for $90. I will be keeping this case for a very long time. The backpack style straps it has for hauling around is a nice feature. The storage is unbelievable. Can store my tackle bag, vexilar and pretty much everything else you would pull around in a sled minus the auger and bucket

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am on my second year with the Eagle Claw case and am pretty happy with it. It is a little light duty but I can get 4-6 rods depending how I stagier them and it holds my tackle, though I don't have that much for big stuff. I do have to turn down my handles when I cram 6 in, 2 are easy push button so no big deal, but if I am just grabbing 4 rods with one being an inline reel I don't have to.
I checked out the Plano at the ice show and really liked it but got a feeling I would run into the same situation after knowing how my Eagle Claw lays out now.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought a Plano square bow case and added foam to it. I can get a solid 10 rod and reel combos in it. Foam on bottom 5 rods foam in between and another foam on top. Makes for a nice tight fit.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lakewood makes a nice ice case as well. Their specialty is musky fishing cases.

A couple of my buddies have a case that fits on the Otter ATV Monster Box. They added some chains so when it opens the bottom stops horizontal. Pretty slick as well.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lakewood makes a nice ice case as well. Their specialty is musky fishing cases.

A couple of my buddies have a case that fits on the Otter ATV Monster Box. They added some chains so when it opens the bottom stops horizontal. Pretty slick as well.

I did the same, super easy and very handy modification. I do wish the Otter case was a bit deeper because you do have to fully fold down the reel handles. The case is bombproof though.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the layout of the Eagle Claw box, however the latches seem like they'd break in cold weather. I want to be wrong.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

defiant1

Honored Member
Sportsman’s Guide has the eagle claw cases for $40.

I am on my second year with the Eagle Claw case and am pretty happy with it. It is a little light duty but I can get 4-6 rods depending how I stagier them and it holds my tackle, though I don't have that much for big stuff. I do have to turn down my handles when I cram 6 in, 2 are easy push button so no big deal, but if I am just grabbing 4 rods with one being an inline reel I don't have to.
I checked out the Plano at the ice show and really liked it but got a feeling I would run into the same situation after knowing how my Eagle Claw lays out now.

I have the Eagle Claw case. I was looking at the other cases, but as others have indicated, they are large and heavy. So I modified the Eagle Claw to fit my needs. I can fit all my tackle and 5 rods without having to turn down reel handles on my spinning rods.

Attachments

1217181913.jpg 1217181914.jpg
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34