New pet — small dog

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
The wife and kids have really been pouring it on lately with getting a small dog. When I say small dog I mean like a 5-10# max size.

Any other her out there that were reluctanct to get a pet but finally caved in.

Im planning to hold strong but I can see the writing all over the wall.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you hunt? Why not just get a medium-small dog like a small female English Cocker?

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a 90lb Lab and an 11lb pure Toy Aussie. Cant wait to have a home free of dog hair. The Aussie is smart and easy to care for. The Lab is.....well, a Lab.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I grew up with a female schnoodle (poodle x s[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]chnauzer) and she was a pretty good dog. Only about 8 pounds or so if I can remember correctly. The only downside to small dogs that I have found is that they tend to bark a lot more. Just make sure that you train them as you would a larger breed, it is annoying when people think just because their dog is small, it can do whatever it wants. No one would want my german shepherd jumping on them and barking, but for some reason think its fine for their little mutt to do it to people. [/FONT]:;:huh

On the plus side... The smaller dog, the less poop you have to pick up.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
got a teddy bear which i call a mut but he is a cross between a shitzu and maltese. no shedding and he is a tough little bastard that likes playing out side with the lab. he likes to just stand in the wind. I got to name him so i picked diesel

diesel wind.jpg

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have two Aussie's, one toy and one full size, and they are as smart a dog as you'll train them to be. Within six months I had their two basic commands trained to be hand signals, just been too lazy to take it any further. Very loyal, and excellent home invasion alarms. The only alibi I have in regards to small dog poop is you don't always see or find it until it's too late.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I was in the market for a small dog I'd get a chihuahua , They are feisty and ballsy .

<font size="2" style=""><font color="#545454" style=""><font face="arial narrow">

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I inherited a shitzu bichon mix when I started dating my wife. She's not very smart or well trained but the dog sure is nice lol (kidding). The dog doesn't do much but she is pretty great.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I was forced to a super small dog I'd opt for a Jack Russell Terrier(smart and can still have a hunting instinct). If a 30lb dog is ok, the Field Bred English Cocker will give you a hunting dog and a pet.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. If kids are really small Jack Russells may not be the best.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got talked into a small dog 6 years ago. She's awesome. Would change it a bit. I trained her right and she is no where near one of the little bastard, noise making, ankle biters that people associate with small dogs.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got talked into a small dog 6 years ago. She's awesome. Would change it a bit. I trained her right and she is no where near one of the little bastard, noise making, ankle biters that people associate with small dogs.

Ooohhhh, Isn't that cute!

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a Jack Russell years ago, it was very good with the kids when they just new borns and when they were growing up, and that dog had a thing about cats, he would chase them right up a tree, then I would have to get a ladder to get him down, got a Chihuahua now, hell of a guard dog, she even attacks Box Elder Bugs

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dogs are only as smart as the people who train them.

IDK my neighbor had two little mutt Rez dogs that were psycho. Looked part bulldog, real aggressive, dumber than shitt.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^so is it the dogs or the neighbor that's aggressive and dumber than shit??? :;:huh

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 56