Newbie on Missouri Bismarck

Dominator175

I may try fishing out of my boat in Bismarck next week for the first time. I usually fish the Hazelton area. I was wondering if there are any major concerns for rocky sandbars to watch out for and which location may be the friendliest ramp for launching a boat and navigating for the first time? Thanks!

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may try fishing out of my boat in Bismarck next week for the first time. I usually fish the Hazelton area. I was wondering if there are any major concerns for rocky sandbars to watch out for and which location may be the friendliest ramp for launching a boat and navigating for the first time? Thanks!
Travel up river for the first trip out of the year. Much easier to get boat off the sandbar

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it's all sand, I've never heard of any rocky islands, but I could be wrong. Sunken old tree and logs would be a concern also.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rocks are far and few between. Dead heads are the devil. But yes the river will be muddy for a while.

NodakBob

Honored Member
Steer well clear of rock jetties along the shore, some can extend quite a ways under the surface. Avoid turbulent areas with trees in the water. As said, bring waders and go upstream first couple times out. Go slower until you can learn to read the moving water. And watch for floating logs/debris. After 40 years fishing the river I still think over 30 mph is unnecessary and reckless…

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
as already stated,, go upstream the first time out and take it slow

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Typically see a couple boats a day pretty well beached on sandbars. Came upon an older guy in about an 18' aluminum full windshield boat a couple years ago up by heskett that was a good 30-40' up on a sandbar that was maybe 6" deep. Luckily it was around memorial day and water wasn't too cold and so I jumped out and helped him. The two of us couldn't budge it but luckily a couple others showed up and we got him going. Long story short, be careful til you get a good trail and you'll be fine. Hazleton area is usually easier but have seen plenty get beached, especially heading north of there.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
There’s a rock pile not very far south of the fox island boat ramp. Stay off the shoreline a good 50 yards and you should be ok.

We were drifting down stream after launching getting things prepped. Put the throttle down and we must have been right on top of it. Bust up the people and skag.

This was about 7 years ago when water was low.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't drop anchor in a community hole.

Slowing down and coming off plane next to another boat throws a much bigger wake at them than just staying on plane and continuing past.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your best bet is to get in behind someone that looks like they know where they are going . Follow there trail

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like others have said, always upstream first slowly, mark any rocks or dead head logs. I just fish my way up stream. Get your route upstream on GPS.... So you can get back downstream using your track. Don't be afraid to follow another boat, but don't follow to close in case they find trouble.

If the water is muddy there won't be many guys out and fishing will be tough....good time to go get your routes locked in and practice loading in the current, etc.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your best bet is to get in behind someone that looks like they know where they are going . Follow there trail
This 100%.
There is no shortage of boats in the area. Just be patient and pull in behind one that is flying down the river and save the trail for next time.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where is River Fibber when you need him?
1681333432190.png

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The best advice on here is going slow and working upstream. If you are going slow and watching your depth finder it will allow you to stop and back off if you see the depth getting shallower. Then try another approach by looking at the water and seeing where the flow is. You may need to move over 20 ft or 200ft it just depends on the water. Try to learn the currents and watch how the water flows around things in the water. Jumping behind somebody will get you from place to place but in my opinion isn’t a good way to actually learn the river. A lot of catching fish in the river also has to do with currents and current breaks so I personally would try to learn vs following someone but to each their own on how they learn as well. Jumping behind somebody you may understand why they went that route????…maybe?

A lot of guys…not all but a lot of them in the spring that are flying up and down the river have learned how to read the river and plotted it out on their graphs. Personally I would rather know how to get around without the help of others….cause some just fly around and hope for the best…I don’t want to follow that guy.

There are rock piles about half mile south of fox island depending on the depth of water..it is closer to shore. Also up north depending how deep the water is and closer to shore there is a good amount of rocks by a house with a big Z on the front of it. Other than that like someone already posted be careful for the jetties that shoot out. Dead heads usually you can see by a break in the surface water.

To add Ramps around Bis: Meriwethers is for the most part out of the current and so is Misty ramp. Fox island is also not to bad. I would start with no current and work your way up. Some ramps in the bays can be used if you pay to use them. I would just stick to the first two and then after you get the hang of it try fox island.

Last edited:

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
took the big boat on the river once and I’m never doing that ever again lol I went through an area and when I was on my way back through about an hour later a big sand bar was right on my gps trail. Putted back the ramp after that and took off for home 5 hours away. Only fished for a couple hours. Never going back with any of my boats

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
took the big boat on the river once and I’m never doing that ever again lol I went through an area and when I was on my way back through about an hour later a big sand bar was right on my gps trail. Putted back the ramp after that and took off for home 5 hours away. Only fished for a couple hours. Never going back with any of my boats
That’s the way we like it 😜

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93