Parents beware

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
At wrestling tonight there was a group of parents talking about kids youtube channels (chuggington, dinosaur train, ect) having been hacked or being posted with "special" content. Apparently someone is putting info and scare tactics into these channels egging/promoting kids to kill themselves. Was even told that there is information within these videos on how to do it. Apparently now there are older kids in school showing younger kids these damn videos at recess.

We are talking to our kids and not letting them watch these without us watching with them.

https://www.iflscience.com/editors-...e-is-actually-more-disturbing-than-you-think/

Mgx2400

Honored Member
My wife and my solution was to delete YouTube kids. Now it's pbs kids all the way on my 3 year olds ipad. Pretty messed up people who would create the whole momo thing. They deserve to be shot. And that's putting it lightly.

Last edited:

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
44985.jpg

I asked the wife what this was all about and I guess she knew about what was goin on and I asked her to fill me in and all I can say is im disgusted. The picture I posted is one the wife sent me and she said this is the person that pops up and tells the viewers of the videos to do the deed.... ask your kids if they have seen this person pop up while watching a video and have a chat with them if they have.... my kids said they haven't seen this person before so I'm glad they haven't

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I how does this momo thing work. Does it just pop up in random videos and tell kids to do stuff? Cause I have also heard that kids are texting back and forth with it. Just curious cause I have an eleven year old son.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm still working on getting all the details but apparently it popped up on a computer my son was using at school today. I think that's why BPS sent out all the emails.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just randomly pops up in videos and tells kids how to kill themselves... kids videos like pepa pig and other videos like fort nite video game videos I guess.....

- - - Updated - - -

Just looking at that picture is sickening

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I talked with my kids a few days ago about this. They are 11 and 13, and while they hadn't run across it personally, they have heard of it through friends, etc. While I sure as heck don't need an excuse to talk to my kids about not being stupid, this was another good opportunity for me to become comfortable with their ability to handle this extremely dumb shit on the internet.

Remember, there were two young (sub teen??) girls that stabbed a friend to death a couple years ago because they wanted to please the Slenderman (some internet mythological figure). Don't let your kids be dumb and they'll be fine.

Nonetheless, the ex put some lockdown on the kids' internet experience. I'm torn by that and wouldn't have gone there if it were my decision alone, first and foremost...I need to trust my kids to make good decisions in my absence because I can't always be there looking over their shoulder. And lastly, life is to be experienced. If you protect them from everything, you will have to protect them forever. Actually, that's pretty much the same as the first reason...must be how important I think it is.

Now if my kids start believing dumb shit on the interweb, like there's been a new State record bluegill, then I'll clamp down on their access a little more.

And if I find my kids spreading that BS? I'll make them smash their own frigging phone!

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I how does this momo thing work. Does it just pop up in random videos and tell kids to do stuff? Cause I have also heard that kids are texting back and forth with it. Just curious cause I have an eleven year old son.

I'd like to get into a text discussion with these worthless pieces of shit and tell them that I have a group of badass mother effers called the Nodak community if they want to meet up n see what the outcome is! I'm sure between all on here we could find places to bury a piece of them here and there throughout the state. Call it fertilizer! ;:;rant over!

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't there a way the web could shut them down somehow? Might be a dumb question, but I'm not that techy! Just curious.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
machines are not (shouldn't be) babysitters... not to be a richard, but if they are, please ask yourself when, why, and how...

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
This has been debunked several times. Any “video example” was created specifically to perpetuate this very not real crisis.

[FONT=&quot]To any concerned parents reading this: Do not worry. The “Momo challenge” is a recurring [/FONT]viral hoax[FONT=&quot] that has been perpetuated by local news stations and scared parents [/FONT]around the world[FONT=&quot]. This entire cycle of shock, terror, and outrage about Momo previously took place [/FONT]less than a year ago[FONT=&quot]: Last summer, local news outlets across the country reported that the Momo challenge was [/FONT]spreading among teens via WhatsApp[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone I know with kids has deleted you-tube. They are going to take a huge hit over this so hopefully this brings pro-active change to this situation. I would think you-tube would want to get to the bottom of this because it is likely to cost them millions. Young kids minds are so impressionable so this is a pretty scary deal. Talked the wife into buying a super nintnedo so we can play good ol fashioned mario instead.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This has been debunked several times. Any “video example” was created specifically to perpetuate this very not real crisis.

To any concerned parents reading this: Do not worry. The “Momo challenge” is a recurring viral hoax that has been perpetuated by local news stations and scared parents around the world. This entire cycle of shock, terror, and outrage about Momo previously took place less than a year ago: Last summer, local news outlets across the country reported that the Momo challenge was spreading among teens via WhatsApp.

I asked my wife about this being former cps she is pretty up on it. Said same thing it was out a year plus ago there was always a report of a girl killing her self did not know if it was ever confirmed. She had already talked to our 13 year old he had never seen or heard it. I hope as a parent I have more influence on my kid vs some creepy video. I am not going to be with him all the time so I need him to make the right decisions.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
My kids dont really get tablet time unless they are sick or earn it. Honestly they never really ask for it. They might spend 15-30 minutes a month on the thing. Last week we had a sick 6 year old and we let her veg on the tablet to pass the time. As kids do she somehow found the youtube app. After we found out about this momo crap we asked if she saw anything that was different. She described this but said she covered her ears and turned it off.....she said it scared her. Never thought I would have issues like this since they dont do much technology but here we are. Stay vigilant all the time!

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
It might be a hoax, but after talking to my 1st grader, they are talking about this stuff in school. Apparently they had a class discussion yesterday.

So hoax/fake or not, there is something going on that I don't like. I can control the stuff my kids watch at home, but I can't control what other kids are talking about and showing them.

To any concerned parents reading this: Do not worry. The “Momo challenge” is a recurring viral hoax that has been perpetuated by local news stations and scared parents around the world. This entire cycle of shock, terror, and outrage about Momo previously took place less than a year ago: Last summer, local news outlets across the country reported that the Momo challenge was spreading among teens via WhatsApp.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's actually not a hoax. I have seen the videos first hand.

Your kid could be watching an innocent program, educational, cartoon, doesn't matter. Then out of nowhere this thing will pop up and tell your kids to kill themselves, hand themselves, slit there wrist, etc. It says as long as the kids kill themselves "Momo" won't show up and hurt there parents. It's pretty disgusting.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got home from a work trip in a fairly remote and unplugged area. Wife told me about it and our 7yr old daughter had mentioned it to her and that it was talked about at school. She showed me the video and those that say it is a hoax please explain how, that thing is F'ed up. ANYTHING telling kids to slit wrists and legs in massive blood areas and threatens if they don't it will come after them and their parents is not a hoax (it is a threat and scare tactic), it is pure twisted sadistic version of murder by a gutless puke that I would love to meet face to face (as I think many would). Yes we allow our kids to watch and use electronics in certain amounts but we don't have them hooked to internet full time and usually can monitor that way as well as simply downloading specific content for their use.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33