Parents beware

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I look up to the Amish for doing what they do but it's not a lifestyle for everybody. I spent 5 days in Amish country with a guy that was friends with them and he couldn't drive past an Amish farm without stopping to visit for an hour, Not a worry in the world and nothing but time. It was a business trip and I was in a hurry , The first couple of days I could have slugged the guy but by the end I was in my comfort zone enjoying the time with them and no longer in a hurry. Good people , Once you get to know them they really open up and like to visit. I have lots of fond memories .

Did you help them milk the bull?

BF91346A-4B84-410B-AD15-E5E2EDD5A984.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea by the looks of that article they sure do. Hard workers and they don't spend money so they most likely have a pile of cash . It was like going back in time walking into their work areas , A furniture maker had a lister motor turning a jack shaft that was the length of his shop and some very old belt driven power tools. He was building the nicest furniture I have ever laid eyes on and with all primitive tools. I didn't see any bulls but lots of nice horses and they are trained better than any I have been around . One guy unhooked a horse from a buggy a ways away from the barn and the horse headed for the barn and stood there waiting for a boy to take the harness off then he walked over and found his stall.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My kid snorts whenever he wants to watch peppa pig. I’ve seen more episodes than I care to admit. I haven’t ran across any videos.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
If somebody could post an example that would help. Otherwise I’m going with hoax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQsvmY6EbQ0

That is the link to one of the fucked up peppa pig videos I was able to find today. It looks like about a year and a half ago Youtube went and deleted a bunch of videos (something like 150,000 of them) and accounts that were pushing this shit. Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol were two of the cartoons that people were editing to have the fucked up messages in them.

I'm not saying this MOMO bullshit isn't a hoax. What I'm saying is that there are PLENTY of fucked up people out there putting shit out there to try and fuck with kids... The other shit may not have the publicity of the MOMO bullshit, but it's still there and it's still fucked up.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQsvmY6EbQ0

That is the link to one of the fucked up peppa pig videos I was able to find today. It looks like about a year and a half ago Youtube went and deleted a bunch of videos (something like 150,000 of them) and accounts that were pushing this shit. Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol were two of the cartoons that people were editing to have the fucked up messages in them.

I'm not saying this MOMO bullshit isn't a hoax. What I'm saying is that there are PLENTY of fucked up people out there putting shit out there to try and fuck with kids... The other shit may not have the publicity of the MOMO bullshit, but it's still there and it's still fucked up.

I did ask the kids and they did say they saw the image at one point. I may have to look into more video censoring even though I have not overheard much for negative.

- - - Updated - - -

That Peppa Pig vid is disheartening and makes a guy angry.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is erosion. Of society.

I'm not saying that it's not overblown. The "news" does that routinely. Nothing like terrible news, to make the ratings go up.

However, the very thought of this, even if it happens once, is the erosion of our humankind. I mean, what society thinks that kids killing themselves is okay? Or routine? In what modern society, is this just "meh"?

Jeez. "Sickening" is not a strong enough word.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This is erosion. Of society.

I'm not saying that it's not overblown. The "news" does that routinely. Nothing like terrible news, to make the ratings go up.

However, the very thought of this, even if it happens once, is the erosion of our humankind. I mean, what society thinks that kids killing themselves is okay? Or routine? In what modern society, is this just "meh"?

Jeez. "Sickening" is not a strong enough word.

Since you were born yesterday, there has always been and always will be evil in this world. They have better or different ways of promoting that evil now because of social media access and we as a society are more exposed to it. I’m not saying it’s not a problem, but if you’re a good parent and your kids aren’t nincompoops and know right from wrong I wouldn’t lose much sleep. Old fuddy duddy’s have complained about the erosion of society since the beginning of time.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you guys think we are better or worse off than 100 years ago?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's been a few years but I still remember how easy it was to "fool" my parents when I was a kid. It's not that my parents were dumb or I was smarter , It was a trust issue that was easy to abuse. It was one thing when I could take the screws out of my old man's writing desk and peek at an old antique deck of poker playing cards with ladies on them but now days kids can get online and see everything available on the web and there is some scary crap online. My boys keep a tight leash on their kids and the only cartoon they are allowed to watch is shaun the sheep , Ages from 1 to 6 watch and they are so glued to that cartoon when it's on that I think the house could burn down around them and they wouldn't notice. Not telling anyone what to let their kids watch or not watch but if any parents are wondering what might be a decent cartoon for kids I trust my Boy's judgement on this one being decent. Even Grandpa gets a chuckle out of the barnyard shenanigans.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member

Better! Now instead of having to raise kids, we can cram a tablet in their face so they'll let us hang out on a website in peace and quiet. Surely there's no long term negative behavioral or physiological effects.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Better! Now instead of having to raise kids, we can cram a tablet in their face so they'll let us hang out on a website in peace and quiet. Surely there's no long term negative behavioral or physiological effects.

big whoop, wanna fight about it?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since you were born yesterday, there has always been and always will be evil in this world. They have better or different ways of promoting that evil now because of social media access and we as a society are more exposed to it. I’m not saying it’s not a problem, but if you’re a good parent and your kids aren’t nincompoops and know right from wrong I wouldn’t lose much sleep. Old fuddy duddy’s have complained about the erosion of society since the beginning of time.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course we have it better now, than we did 100 years ago. The improvements are too numerous to list. I have conversations with older people all the time, about the "good old days" and how they really weren't that great.

And yes, evil has been in the world since (depending upon your beliefs) Eve took a bite of the apple, or we first became self-aware enough to feel jealousy or greed. Nothing new under the sun, right?

However, and this is huge, it's never been this easy for evil to get into my living room.

Then again, to be fair, I wasn't a parent before the internet.

However, don't generalize. I think some people assume that all the guys alarmed by this BS, are absent parents. We stick a tablet in our kids' hands, then go off to have cocktails. Nothing could be further from the truth - but you couldn't know that about me, I guess.

But you tell me how you would handle it, if your 8 year old is watching a video, maybe even sitting on your lap, and one of these vids comes on. You have to somehow explain that they should be wary. That there are sick people out there, who are doing these things, and these things are real. You tell me how you explain to a little girl, how evil the world can be. It's not new, granted - but it's nearly inexplicable.

I know that there's really no getting around it. That this is the way the world is, and unless I want to go live on a mountain top, I have to deal with this. But this thread is meant as a warning to parents. To watch for this stuff. What's wrong with giving other parents a heads-up?

The internet is a great tool. I am fully aware. But I don't feel that I'm being some dusty old fart, by saying that this is erosion.

Actually, more to the point, when I say this is erosion, and I'm told to "pipe down grampa", my thoughts are reinforced.

But I only have three kids. What do I know?

Well, I have some whittling to do.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 198
  • This month: 168
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59