Pickup Shopping

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Throw all the parts in a shop and let me build my own from what I think is the best from each. I would call it T REX.

Feildhunter701

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ypu should. Be able to find a tundra for under 40k. 114k on mine no issues.timing belt I guess. Plenty of power. Not the greatest gas mpg. But what the different between 20mpg and 16mpg.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ypu should. Be able to find a tundra for under 40k. 114k on mine no issues.timing belt I guess. Plenty of power. Not the greatest gas mpg. But what the different between 20mpg and 16mpg.

20%

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
First time for me really being in the market for a newer vehicle - do you usually find the best financing right through the dealer? through your bank? shop around?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
First time for me really being in the market for a newer vehicle - do you usually find the best financing right through the dealer? through your bank? shop around?

It's usually best through the dealer with 0% or the like. You usually give up a cash back option though, so you have to figure that into the equation as well.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
The powertrain and all that jazz are probably great. But I see newer dodges with rust on the quarter panels. I don't get it.

I have seen several Fords and GM pickups that are 2-3 year old at most around Bismarck Mandan that are beyond having rust on the quarter panels but they are completely rusted through already,The GM pickup I saw last week I really had to double take on as it looked really new and the box was totally shot already have not seen any Dodge with that sort of rust since the 94-02 Body designs that were near 10 years old in Minnesota. The way this state and local cities are pouring the salt and theat Fck#^^%$ acid beat juice on the roads every vehicle around here will look just like they do in Minnesota very shortly no matter the brand.

::closerlook:::

- - - Updated - - -

Throw all the parts in a shop and let me build my own from what I think is the best from each. I would call it T REX.

Them Dodge boyz beat you to it already lol.
Dodge-T_Rex_mp19_pic_37756.jpg

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
That gas mileage difference came to about $7,500 over the life of the truck when i figured it out for myself, when i was looking last year.

ifish4iz

Founding Member
Founding Member
GM for 25 years, made the switch to a Tundra in 2014 and have been pleased.unlike my last 3 GMC's, absolutely zero issues in 42k miles. Admittedly, I had no major engine or powertrain problems with the GMC's, but many little quirky issues, mostly electrical-related. Tundra has been free of any issues. I have the HD version that Cedric Theel does on their own (lifted about 1 1/2 inches, stiffer shocks, 10 ply tires and some other minor differences I'm forgetting). The 4.3 gears really improve torque when towing, but the mileage really suffers, though the HD doesn't help I'm sure. I see 15-16 if I don't have too heavy of a foot.
FWIW, I also have a 10 4Runner that I use as my daily driver as I put on 25-30 miles per day buzzing around town for work, kids to daycare, school, activities, etc. Much easier getting around in town than in the Tundra. Zero issues with the runner as well. My wife is looking for a Toyota/Lexus SUV when it's time to move on from her Denali XL.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of gear ratio's. Make sure you factor in tire size, especially if you're putting huge diameter tires on.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would like to have that green machine for a weekend. That's about all I could afford.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dirty,the 6.0lit engine is only availble on the HD trucks,not the 1500's,step back and consult folks with the f150 eco boost,milage in the shitter when towing,also fords recommends 92oct when under load to avoid engine pinging,then google eco twin turbo issues,aluminum body? keep in mind aluminum does'nt have memory like steel body panels,consult your ins man and compare alum body vs std steel body truck premiums.

Further,the GM 2017 1500's come with a 8spd tranny/5.3lit,excellent mpgs running with lite loads and plenty of torq with the v-8 under load.

Just a few thoughts~

Further,if you need extra Hp outof a 1500 pickup,engine upgrade available in 6.2lit HO engine.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh,and GM has bonus cash on select 1500 crew cabs,plus rebates and 0% up to 60 months,find the right right dealer/truck you can get up to $10k off sticker plus 0% on 2017 models.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plus GM gave the American public a tremendous FU as well as giving the bond holders a multi-cavity screw job. What's not to love???

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
got this last fall wife was tired of ford edge and traded it had 40000 miles paid 31000 for it at aberdeen ford. With the winter we have had she has loved it. I like how i does not sit so low up front that you tear shit off when going over a bump like other half tons. 13 mpg average in town.

yota.jpg

dewey89

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought my 2010 double cab Tundra for $29,500 brand new from Theel. I went the double cab base model with the front split bench for hunting reasons ( if I wanted a stupid center console I would get a SUV), still had the 5.7 and power everything except the passenger seat. I test drove every half ton on the market when I was shopping for my truck and the Tundra was the right fit. The 5.3 and ecoboost are fine engines but don't seem to be able to keep up towing a load at highway speeds, the 4.30 axle ratio was nice for the boat ramp as well. Toyota's hold their value better than the fords or GM products too.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plus GM gave the American public a tremendous FU as well as giving the bond holders a multi-cavity screw job. What's not to love???

Agreed.

Not to turn political, but its a bunch of sour grapes for me too

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I could get a full size crew cab tundra, with a 6.5 foot box. THATS the truck. But alas, like others have mentioned. Its tough to find the perfect truck. Usually have to give up something but I have a 2008 chev crew cab right now and man does that box piss me off for the last 6 years. Not a ton of leg room either even though its a crew cab.

I wish there was still a heavy half ton option (the tundra is pretty much built like a heavy half), but I really really really prefer a 6.5 foot box and its not there. I"m stuck between stretching a half ton too thin, but not really needing a 3/4 ton gasser.

Decisions, decisions....

I do pull triples a few times a year. But don't want a diesel. Thats why the half ai'nt cutting it. But the tundra could, in my opinion.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
My issue with Toyota is lack of configurations. Bench seat...Nope, higher gear ratio...Nope, 6.5 bed crew cab....Nope, Decent gas mileage....Nope, Pay extra...Yep

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much lower gear ratio than 4:30 do you want? That's the only one offered for any Tundra.

I agree with Longshot, a Crewmax w/6.5' box would have me looking pretty hard.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34