Pollinators Wanted

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is the problem, our cucumbers start to develop a cucumber and they get to about 1 to 1.5 inches long and then dry up and die. In our search for what is wrong, we think the female flowers are not being pollinated because of lack insects. I do not use any pesticides on the garden. The suggestion is to take a little paint brush and pollinate the flowers manually. Anyone one of you horny people want to come and help pollinate our cucumbers???(by using a paint brush) ;:;rofl Or does anyone have any other suggestions. :;:huh

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dang, I was disappointed after reading the thread. I was fooled by the title and thought the Hutterite or Mennonite colonies were looking to bring in some new lines of blood again lol......................#$%^&>

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will be full of shame and regret after this process is all said and done, ive seen it a thousand times.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tried this on my slicing cucumbers this afternoon, ripped the petals off the male flowers, made sure their malehood was covered in pollen and unceramonesly shoved it down the female flowers throat. Might be wrong but we will see what happens. Way more male flowers than female so we had a three-some a couple times. Marked the flowers with little flags so will get a head count if this works. Cannot keep from giggling as I type this.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha, I did the same thing LB. Don't know if I should feel ashamed or excited. I kept looking over my shoulder to see if the neighbors were watching. ;:;rofl

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guys, just grab a little brush. No need to be brutally mutilating the males and raping the females.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have seen ONE Bumbly Bee and no honey bee this summer. I even plant bright flowers around my garden to attract them but see very little as far as bees go.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
How does one tell the difference between male and female flowers? I have a lot of flowers on my plants and may need to do this. I don't want to go full on queer and male to male it?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Female flower is on the end of a little cucumber, the male flower is just a flower on the vine. One would think it would be the other way around.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very few pollinators here too, All sorts of flowers to attract them. The hummingbird feeders used to be swarming with them this time of the year, Not a one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 16