Prime rib ?

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not a butcher block fanboy BUT I've had their prime rib roughly 6 times and dans supermarket 3 times. Butcher block gets better meat. The dans stuff lacked flavor (fat) in the heart of the roast (my favorite part). Tasted bland and watery even though it was cooked properly every time.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really have had good luck with Butcher Block. Dan is awesome and helped me with a dry aging project that deserves its own thread.

If you haven't tried BB you are missing the meat boat.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wind is blowing 40 so might as well do one of these. Next choice I want to open my mind to some shipping whiskey looking at the bulliet rye mash ?

IMG_20160521_105611039.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I think I remeber guywhoknowshisbooze recommending an old fashioned I am going to attempt mixing that up and sipping whilst prime is cooking

TheWalleye

Honored Member
I'm not a butcher block fanboy BUT I've had their prime rib roughly 6 times and dans supermarket 3 times. Butcher block gets better meat. The dans stuff lacked flavor (fat) in the heart of the roast (my favorite part). Tasted bland and watery even though it was cooked properly every time.

Nothing wrong with being a Butcher Block fanboy (or any butcher shop for that matter) - grocery store meat is sub-par to what the butcher shops are getting. Anyone who disagrees should probably get their taste buds evaluated.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did one in the smoker yesterday. Seasoned with salt and pepper on Thursday. Took it out of fridge at 8 am. Internal temp of 60 when it went on the smoker at 1:30 pm. 210 ish for 5 hours with about 2 hours of smoke. Got it to about 135. Turned smoker off. It rose to about 140 and hovered there for another hour or so. When it started going back down, I pulled it and served it. It was the best I've ever had by leaps and bounds. I very much regret not taking pictures.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I put mine in internal temp was 50 pulled it at 127 it was excellent. I had the meat sweets after supper. I don't know if I made the old fashioned drink right but it tasted good to.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did one in the smoker yesterday. Seasoned with salt and pepper on Thursday. Took it out of fridge at 8 am. Internal temp of 60 when it went on the smoker at 1:30 pm. 210 ish for 5 hours with about 2 hours of smoke. Got it to about 135. Turned smoker off. It rose to about 140 and hovered there for another hour or so. When it started going back down, I pulled it and served it. It was the best I've ever had by leaps and bounds. I very much regret not taking pictures.

THAT'S what I'm talking about!! Salt and pepper period

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We get all our beef from relatives that raise and finish them and it is considerably better than anything you can buy in the store. Most things in butcher shops sit in cooler and exposed to air too long for my tastes. One of the most important things with quality of beef is how it fed, carcass aging, and proper cutting in that order. The discussion on the Butcher Block vs grocery stores quality of meat is somewhat of a myth as chances are that they get it from the same supplier. There are four major boxed beef suppliers in the US which include Tyson, Cargill, JBS, and National.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a slaughter and custom butcher shop in Ohio that while they could not buy direct and sell that meat; they could buy killed and inspected carcasses and butcher and sell that. None of the beef, pork or lamb he sold ever came out of a box or came into his shop frozen. Good stuff

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Time to resurrect this bad boy.....Got a 12lb'er ordered for Christmas. My mouth is already watering.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
My next smoke will be a 7 bone prime rib..... I don't get home till the 29th so I'm living vicariously through you fellers.

post pictures

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely won't knock Dans since you just need to pay attention to what your buying check out the marbling since none of this is truly prime rib. I generally stock up now and vacuum seal them down then one by one thaw them out over the year and slice them into individual ribeye steaks for a hell of allot better price. This is yesterday's haul from ironically enough dans....can't argue with $7.88 a pound.

IMG_20161215_121751627.jpg

Last edited:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not prime rib, but I did make some flank steak for the first time a while ago. I was pleasantly surprised with the tenderness. Flavor was awesome. I quit doing prime rib for Christmas because all my wife's family likes it cooked so much more than we do at our house. Just the standard turkey and ham now.....saving the prime rib for New Years for the wife and kids.

IMG_8064.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reverse sear. Re-heated theses 2 slowly the following evening and they still didn't suck a day later:

IMG_1066_zpsnukrtodt.jpg

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was going to give it a whirl this weekend. I've always done bone-in prime rib using the "no-peek" method. Was going to give a boneless prime rib a whirl this time on the traeger. Was going to try out the slow method. Figured a 6#, set it on 180-200 and let it warm up ever so slowly! Do you guys put them in a cake pan or anything when doing this method? Do they ever get dry?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31