Property Tax Petition

Are you in favor of eliminating property taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 19.5%

• Total voters

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Judging by the thread not certain it’s the landslide eyexer thought

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
One has to remember, that getting rid of the property taxes is allowing property owners to fully own their property without the risk of losing it to taxes or failing to pay said property taxes. One will still be taxed by another means.
So those saying, you won't be saving any money as you will be taxed anyway, will be better explained by answering, yes, I know that, but I will truly own my land/house/both and I know I will still be paying taxes but not property taxes.
Raise sales taxes or something like that to make up for it. Also that way, out of staters help pay for those said taxes. Why do you think the towns put on a city sales tax? Outsiders help pay for their needs and improvements.
Pretty simple solution.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm fine with paying for services I use like the roads, fire departments, etc. But when 75% of my property taxes are going to the school system when I have no kids and get no services for those tax dollars somethings broken! Get the school funding out of the property tax system and you'd hear a lot less bitching about property taxes! Until that happens I'll vote to eliminate property taxes whenever I get the chance! Send me a bill for the roads which is supposed to be paid with gas taxes. Send me a bill for the fire department. Send me the bill for the sheriff's office. STOP SENDING ME THE BILL FOR YOUR FUCKING KIDS!!!!

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One has to remember, that getting rid of the property taxes is allowing property owners to fully own their property without the risk of losing it to taxes or failing to pay said property taxes. One will still be taxed by another means.
So those saying, you won't be saving any money as you will be taxed anyway, will be better explained by answering, yes, I know that, but I will truly own my land/house/both and I know I will still be paying taxes but not property taxes.
Raise sales taxes or something like that to make up for it. Also that way, out of staters help pay for those said taxes. Why do you think the towns put on a city sales tax? Outsiders help pay for their needs and improvements.
Pretty simple solution.
I think part of the problem that I am reading is people are very self centered in their wants. In reality what I am suggesting really would only benefit me beyond retirement age. In fact I may pay a little more (I like to spend money). I may never benefit from this change especially if I don’t retire in ND with paid off house. What I do see it doing is protecting the older generation in a round about way and shifting more focus on taxes every single time you purchase something. To me it would hold some of these politicians more accountable then looking at a property tax bill one time a year and bitching about it for a month. Not really sure what the answer is but if you really can’t own your property what’s the point?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm fine with paying for services I use like the roads, fire departments, etc. But when 75% of my property taxes are going to the school system when I have no kids and get no services for those tax dollars somethings broken! Get the school funding out of the property tax system and you'd hear a lot less bitching about property taxes! Until that happens I'll vote to eliminate property taxes whenever I get the chance! Send me a bill for the roads which is supposed to be paid with gas taxes. Send me a bill for the fire department. Send me the bill for the sheriff's office. STOP SENDING ME THE BILL FOR YOUR FUCKING KIDS!!!!
So you never went to school? Don’t you feel some obligation to pay for schools since you have utilized them in the past. However what they are doing with these schools is getting out of hand.

Last edited:

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
SD has a unique initiated measure system where citizens can bring to the ballot a single subject law change. The single subject makes things interesting as you can only change the law, but then must rely on the legislature to set all the rules within the law. Our legislature meets every year and they still can’t sort thru some of these changes. Medical marijuana is still a mess, they couldn’t agree. If you think that your legislature will be able to totally rewrite a tax code after eliminating property taxes I think you’re crazy. If you think the system will improve I think you’re incredibly optimistic, and crazy lol. We pay sales, excise, and property taxes here. They tried to eliminate just the food tax this year and couldn’t come up with a way to replace the income. Easier said than done, particularly with the idiots we have in the legislature. Good luck!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you never went to school? Don’t you feel some obligation to pay for schools since you have utilized them in the past. However what they are doing with these schools is getting out of hand.
I've paid my fair share already and no I don't feel obligated when I'm not using something. If I had kids I'd be more then willing to pay for their schooling I don't see why someone else should pay for your kids schooling.

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
Somebody paid the bill so you could go to school.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also don’t get your hopes. The last time this was on the ballot the genius’s of ND voted it down. The funny thing is the very people that were benefiting from your property taxes were putting out adds advising to vote it down. Of course we all fell for it. The ole argument “Oh my, where are they gonna get the money from?”. Really??? How the hell can we be this dumb. Almost as dumb as the people on here that used to beg for higher hunting licensing fees.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeh, sure seems like a great idea to let let our legislators and politicians in Bismarck decide how to make it work, keep drinking the cool-aid ...boozer...! That seems like a terrible idea idea with the competency level thats in our state legislator, especially now that we have a continuous round of greenhorns down there with the term limits that got voted in. Just remember that the people that are in Bismarck playing politics aren't necessarily the best or brightest representing our state, but instead those that can go play in Bismarck for 4 months every two years. That eliminates most of the best or brightest people that should be down there because those individuals cann't go play that game.........

I'd rather leave it to local control where atleast my next door neighbor, local business guy, or local person that has a stake in the game has a chance to do whats best for my local community, schools, and county. Theres a bunch of bright individuals in our state can make time to be in local offices and boards (many choose not to) but generally cann't set aside 4 months of there lives to hang out in Bismarck. If you want little Minneapolis, the Ag community, and commission on aging (aka the retired) to control funding for the whole state, just keep this one moving forward as it is...................Make no mistake, you won't be paying less taxes at the end of the year. I don't love property taxes anymore than anyone else, but I understand the reasoning, basis, and having at-least a chance for local control and local accountability of my tax dollars.

I'm not anyway saying the system is fair, because there's no way I or anyone else should pay more just because we choose, or can afford to own and keep up a nicer property. Doesn't matter if my property is worth a million dollars and the neighbors is work 100k, we get the same school, county, township, and emergency services. The current system is more based on your ability to pay, not based on the services you receive. So, although it may seem like I'm against the abolishment of property taxes, that's not necessarily the case. I just don't want it left up to the politicians in Bismarck to decide the funding formula. Bottom line, if the backers of this bill want it to be taken serious, have a proposal of how property taxes will be replaced, don't leave it up to our Bismarck politicians.
🤦🏻‍♂️

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
So tell me again how this is going to save us money when every city, fire department, township, park board, and everyone else has to head to Bismarck to kiss the control freaks for their blessing and funding? And I’m sure the 80 days they’re allowed now will in no way be enough which of course will mean they’ll have to meet longer and longer and longer. So how much will this save us again? And do you really want every single level of your local government to be at the hands of the Legislature? That is the reality of what will happen.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
use up the legacy fund ---I think any type of savings account of taxes if bullshit. That will suffice it for what one year ---- plus the amounts going into that fund isnt going to replace the property taxes.

The whole problem is today --- -is that americans do not look at the taxes they pay as whole. If the state made property taxes something that gets paid every two weeks auto out of a checking acccount nobody would bitch about property taxes. Specials that is a whole other matter and that should of never been created.

withholding, sales, gas nobody looks at it anymore. They just bend over.

What needs to happen BUDGET CUTS !!! Federal, State, Local all need to be reviewed and decreased. That will never happen as they just find out another way to make people bend over.

When i intially read this thread i though great --- like johnr said use fees -- -in other words each student would pay a tution --- yearly tuition would be about 15k per child. Now if you want to talk user lets talk user. I am all over that.

You wont get change ---- some consultant at a gazzzillion dollars would be hired to figure out how to make the same revenue up. He would increase income taxes and everthing else and we would resemble Minnesota when it all got done Bismarck and Fargo ruling every damn dime of taxes and spending it all for its blue agenda.
One year? For quite a few years

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please explain how the purchase of goods and services should help support the services you receive by owning a house.

Instead, if you really want fair, any given resident receives the exact same services technically so why not just flat tax every person for public services and we all pay the same amount? Wouldn’t that be the fairest?
Well property taxes based on square footage would have been fair too. Meaning everybody in the state pays the same price per square foot of living space regardless where the house is located. And start taxing farm homes like everybody else

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did I say landslide? I don’t recall lol
You didn’t say the word landslide no, but you said a lot of no’s are going to switch to yes’s. Don’t count your chickens before they hatch is all I’m saying

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've paid my fair share already and no I don't feel obligated when I'm not using something. If I had kids I'd be more then willing to pay for their schooling I don't see why someone else should pay for your kids schooling.
Your share according to you….doubtful it has paid for your full education.

I remember reading an article about the cost of educating a kid from kindergarten through 12 and I can’t find it. I believe they said something to the effect obviously depending on where you live but was betweeen 75k and 100k.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 41