Property Tax Petition

Are you in favor of eliminating property taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 19.5%

• Total voters

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Accountability and realistic property assessments would go a long way. School wants a new gym and your house suddenly jumps in value? Get bent. And don’t get me started on “specials”. What is the Alaskan system they have with their oil fund? Isn’t it something like residents of x amount of years get a check?

Like johnr said, they’re probably a necessary evil for the things we take for granted. Owning property free and clear of any higher authority in the USA is kind of a pipe dream. There’s always going to be a township, county, state, federal rule and/or payment. Unless you figure out how to secede.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rick is onto something, there has to be a better way.
I think almost everyone feels that way but when you eliminate something and the only alternative given is ‘we’ll do it a better way’ with no specifics I think people , including myself, hesitate at that.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
School construction costs have gotten way out of hand. Architects are usually paid a percentage of the total project costs so it's a no brainer why our schools are overdesigned and over priced . Engineers usually get paid by the hour and so should architects.

I'm not much for creating more government but the state should have a professional on the payroll (and sew his pockets shut) to oversee taxpayer funded construction projects and have cost effective policies and rules in place to keep architects from snowballing board of directors into the most expensive building they can design.

Hopefully we have been through enough oil booms and busts for our leaders to agree that maybe the oil drilling permits should be capped at what our infrastructure will handle instead of massive short term overcrowding and the need for more and bigger facilities that will probably be operating at 1/2 capacity within a couple years.

NDDOC and rehab is another place that makes me sick to think about, The grass is so lush and green in there that it's no wonder a lot of people would rather hang out in jail/prison with free everything including health and dental benifits rather than get a job and struggle like the rest of us do.
Accountability and realistic property assessments would go a long way. School wants a new gym and your house suddenly jumps in value? Get bent. And don’t get me started on “specials”. What is the Alaskan system they have with their oil fund? Isn’t it something like residents of x amount of years get a check?

Like johnr said, they’re probably a necessary evil for the things we take for granted. Owning property free and clear of any higher authority in the USA is kind of a pipe dream. There’s always going to be a township, county, state, federal rule and/or payment. Unless you figure out how to secede.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is one if not two states that do not have a property tax. Exactly who I can’t remember off the top of my head
1687566157555.png

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ND Homestead act is overrated and over advertised to make us tax payers feel good. It's not designed for people who work for a living, I was looking foreward to tax relief they kept bragging about all those years only to find out our SS alone puts us over the income limit . They might as well call it a welfare program and tell it like it is rather than lead a guy on. The farm dwelling was no good either because you have to earn more than 50% of your income from the farm.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I believe there are 2 ways people are looking at the removal of property tax. One is if we remove property tax a persons tax liability is gone. The other is just shifting the tax liability away from property. I am under no illusion that if property taxes are abolished that there will no longer be some form of financial amount due. To me this needs to be separate. If people want lowered taxes for parks, schools, infrastructure etc they need to become more involved in the politics of it and try and be part of the solution. I personally don't think anything will change in this regard especially when people running the show want there kids to have thousands of new shiny parks(Bismarck) and schools that are beyond what is needed to teach. With that said I still think taxes should be removed from the property.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe there are 2 ways people are looking at the removal of property tax. One is if we remove property tax a persons tax liability is gone. The other is just shifting the tax liability away from property. I am under no illusion that if property taxes are abolished that there will no longer be some form of financial amount due. To me this needs to be separate. If people want lowered taxes for parks, schools, infrastructure etc they need to become more involved in the politics of it and try and be part of the solution. I personally don't think anything will change in this regard especially when people running the show want there kids to have thousands of new shiny parks(Bismarck) and schools that are beyond what is needed to teach. With that said I still think taxes should be removed from the property.
The people that want all that shiny new shit for their kids can pay for it then

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are zero states that have no property tax.
I thought during the previous vote on eliminating property taxes it was pointed out there was at least one state without property taxes. Maybe that changed I don’t know.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
School construction costs have gotten way out of hand. Architects are usually paid a percentage of the total project costs so it's a no brainer why our schools are overdesigned and over priced . Engineers usually get paid by the hour and so should architects.

I'm not much for creating more government but the state should have a professional on the payroll (and sew his pockets shut) to oversee taxpayer funded construction projects and have cost effective policies and rules in place to keep architects from snowballing board of directors into the most expensive building they can design.

Hopefully we have been through enough oil booms and busts for our leaders to agree that maybe the oil drilling permits should be capped at what our infrastructure will handle instead of massive short term overcrowding and the need for more and bigger facilities that will probably be operating at 1/2 capacity within a couple years.

NDDOC and rehab is another place that makes me sick to think about, The grass is so lush and green in there that it's no wonder a lot of people would rather hang out in jail/prison with free everything including health and dental benifits rather than get a job and struggle like the rest of us do.
Being in construction you hit the mail on the head. Between architects and engineers they make stuff cost way way more than if common sense was used.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I would vote for this till there is a plan on how it would work.

Are the billions of dollars that the state is sitting on ever going to benefit the average person?

I would like to see these local sales taxes capped. Sucking money out of surrounding areas by cities who have a large sales tax base just seems wrong.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I thought during the precious vote on eliminating property taxes it was pointed out there was at least one state without property taxes. Maybe that changed I don’t know.
If we stop treating our government officials like Kings and stop giving them so much money(power), maybe North Dakota can be on the list that doesn't pay rent on our own property to the government.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being in construction you hit the mail on the head. Between architects and engineers they make stuff cost way way more than if common sense was used.
I’ve been saying this exact thing. No way in hell should public funded buildings be allowed to pay a percentage of the job to architects etc. There is zero incentive to reduce costs.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been saying this exact thing. No way in hell should public funded buildings be allowed to pay a percentage of the job to architects etc. There is zero incentive to reduce costs.

Other than you won't get the bid. Remember, govt contracts most often go to the lowest bidder.

When they were building the Lincoln school sometime back, I think I heard there are only a handful of companies in the country that now build schools. The thing was pre-cast concrete and all the local general contractor had to do was assemble the legos and wire the place.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33