Question on jigs

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
WTH you all use to get the paint out of the eye loops.....driving me nuts...I know I know...dumb question but Im bored tonight.....

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought myself one of the jig head paint removers from Walmart for a couple bucks. Works good.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually another jig or squeeze the eye with a pliers or worse comes to worst my teeth. Haha

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Z

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually use the hook on an old dull big jig. Got to be a better way-wind poking myself in thumb half the time.

Correction---thats what I have BEEN doing, thats what I DON"T WANNA do with my luck...I always poke myself with the hook ;:;rofl

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your refering to something to do at home I use a small drill bit and drill them out. This is with jigs that I make with powder paint and cook in the oven. Regular store bought jigs you can use what was mentioned above but over baked powder paint is as hard as a rock. A small drill bit works great and it is pretty quick.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually the jig eye buster if I remember to bring the dang box it is in; otherwise, another jig or a squeeze with pliers perpendicular to eye then finish with hook. Drill bit sounds decent

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The eye buster is the way to go. If you use other metal objects, you run the risk of creating a sharp edge on the wire of the hook eye which can chaff the line and weaken it significantly.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if a guy had a block of molding clay or bees wax and drug the eye across it and filled the hole before painting ? I've never painted a jig in my life but every time I removed the paint I think there has to be a better way.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't bake my jigs after I paint them. I seem to lose the jig before the unbaked paint comes off and baking makes getting the eye cleaned up a real PAIN as compared to the unbaked paint which chips out of the eye quite easily with an eye buster.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I use push pins, like you use on bulletin boards. cleans the paint out real good with out leaving any sharp edge. I put a few in my tackle boxes incase I missed any jig-heads.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't bake jigs either but I still clean the eye out right after I dip them. Either a piece of mechanics wire or a tooth pick seem to work best. Now, when I epoxy, it takes the split ring pliers to clear out the eye.

Mocha

Founding Member
Founding Member
On jigs that I paint my self I clean the paint out of the eye right after it is applied and works well. If it has hardened I use a dremel tool. In the boat I use the eye buster.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cant believe there is 17 responses to the most basic question about the most basic way to fish. ;:;banghead

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, sub at least I got you to respond.....thats good ....right?!! lol

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Throw the one with the painted eye back in the tackle box and grab a different one. When your buddy needs to borrow a jig, toss him the box with the painted eyes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57