Rainy River - First Trip

BJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heading to the Rainy River the 3rd week of October. Fishing out of Baudette and was wondering if anyone has any tips for a first timer fishing for walleye on the river. Any must have lures besides the gold jig with emerald shiners? Thanks for any help.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
All I've ever used up there were different color jigs with shiners. Always seem to pick up some nice fish.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
As the saying goes on Lake of the Woods "If it isn't gold or pink leave it home". ;:;rofl

Jiggernaut

Founding Member
Founding Member
I go the 3rd week of Oct every year. Heading out on the 17th and we stay at Sportsman Lodge. Pink and gold are the go to colors, but have also caught them with silver jigs. We use 3/4 - 1 oz jigs in the river. Use emerald shiners ONLY, that's what they're feeding on. Live shiners are best so don't waste your money on the frozen ones they try to sell you.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bring a snow shovel to make paths in your boat! I hope this weather turns around --- blame it on Kurt -- he bitched all summer long that he wanted it cold.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hard to make ice when the water temp on sakakawea was 59 deg yesterday.....I think ther will be an up swing in temps the end of this month..... hopefully lol

Sak don’t flow to LOW.

TRF has snow today.........

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bring a snow shovel to make paths in your boat! I hope this weather turns around --- blame it on Kurt -- he bitched all summer long that he wanted it cold.

wet I wanted wet not cold 25 to 40 with light winds to medium steady wind a few inches of snow then melting is ok

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28