Security camera system

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have this land that has power, but no WiFi. I’ve looked into a few options but only know what I’ve read off of a few google searches. I don’t really want a reconyx type camera because I don’t want it sending it to my phone. I’d like a system that will record to a hard drive or something I can go out to every couple weeks or whatnot and just download the footage. Anybody have anything like this or recommendations?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two outdated system that store on a computer hard drive but both are unreliable and complex so I switched over to Trail cams. They work so much better that I gave up on security systems.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I'm not mistaken, spypoint makes "trail cams" that actually connect wirelessly to a remote hard drive and store to it. not very cheap, but it looked neat

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I had to do something like this, I would give Trinspin a call. If you need some electronic magic, the owner is the man.

https://www.trinspin.com/

Depending on your level of want, hiring a contractor to figure out things for you may be too costly, but if you want dependability and ease of use, they could probably customize something pretty nice for you.

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
we have ours through NewVision. cameras are good quality but the hard drive can only store for 1 week. went through a lot of different options before we had this installed and it was the best route to go as far as having something that's constantly running

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some security cameras will have a built in micro sd card slot that it can record video to. Lots of them to pick from just depends on how many you want and how much you want to spend.

Mine have the sd slot but I have a central server set up to record to. In order to access the card I would have to open up the camera each time without network access to them. I’m guessing that would be the case for any security camera that is outdoor/vandal rated.

recording 24//7 will need a good size card.

if these cameras are being attached to trees and not buildings, I would probably stick with trail cameras of some kind rather than security cameras

Don Shuler

There are lost of system that can do this, A small camera system with a NVR can be put up and you can pull the video off to a flash drive. Most of the systems can store up to a 30 days of video. There are lost of other way to do this. If you would like to talk about it you can call me at 701-390-4551 and I would be happy to help..

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the info folks. Still not quite sure what to do, but have some good insight now, and I appreciate it.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a system I purchased online from Foscam. They are also available on Amazon. I have 4 cameras recording to a 3TB hard drive. I can get about 4 weeks of straight recording out of it before it overwrites any data.
- They have both indoor and outdoor cameras
- Wired and Wireless
- Relatively simple to set up
- Downfall is you need to have some sort of weather proof enclosure within 1 foot of the camera for the power cables to be enclosed in. As well as power at the camera location.

I put my system together myself rather than buying a "kit" so I could mix and match cameras.
Let me know if you have any questions!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31