Skunks....

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah the no freezing part is a huge plus from last time or was it the time before..... either way, never had a skunk problem living along a river now been in my new place 9 months and 4 skunk encounters. .. have only caught 1 pass and 1 raccoon.

Chayse ran though our little cattle pond this weekend a couple times and through the prairie grass and picked 30+ ticks and a swampum stench. So I bathed him last night and picked off all the ticks and he turns around and gets sprayed. I'm kicking myself because I have all the ship for an underground fence, just haven't found the time to put it in. Should have done it this weekend, but tranplanted/planted 40ish evergreens... maybe next weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and FYI, just got done with the treatment, huge difference in stench. Can't tell if it's the garage or him now. He will be sleeping out there for a couple nights either way.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Used to trap dozens with connibears and live traps! Watch out with connibears that you don’t kill dogs or wanted pet cats! Feral cats, great.
id rig the live traps with two ropes. One to drag the skunk and trap way out In a field, the other to pull to open the trap to let mr skunk exit, then blow him away!
There are traps animal control make out of pvc pipe where the skunk goes on, cant get out and can’t raise his tail to spray. Supposedly they can’t spray if they can’t raise their tail. Then go out of town, let him go and blast him, or go to the river and drown them. Animal control used to do this before some humaniac caught them, and yelled! I drowned lots in live traps and never had one spray. Pull the trap into the water with a long rope.
I use el cheapo cat food from the dollar stores, 2 or 3 cans for a buck for bait, though old minnows, fish guts, carp work.
you can catch them in paw traps but then you have a live stinky fully locked and loaded skunk to deal with, and no safe way to move em!
i NEVER drive by a live skunk! Even behind a no hunting sign! Hate em!

- - - Updated - - -

I’m going to experiment with skunk aversion dog training, using the same technique as an Arizona biologist uses for rattler aversion. Except using a skunk skin, a drop of trappers skunk smell lure, and a monofilament fish line for movement. Should work as long as the dog to be trained isn’t collar shy.
I have all the stuff ready to try, but haven’t found the time yet. I’ll report back if I try it and it works. The only way to test if it works would be to find a live skunk, keep the hopefully trained dog on leash, walk downwind and watch the pups reaction. No guarantees.....

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Dad has gotten pretty efficient at trapping skunks and racoons. A live trap wrapped in an old canvas from a swather to seal it up outside of the enterance door, the afore mentioned wet cat food and a length of hose from the pickup exhaust to the trap. No smell no fuss.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to trap dozens with connibears and live traps! Watch out with connibears that you don’t kill dogs or wanted pet cats! Feral cats, great.
id rig the live traps with two ropes. One to drag the skunk and trap way out In a field, the other to pull to open the trap to let mr skunk exit, then blow him away!
There are traps animal control make out of pvc pipe where the skunk goes on, cant get out and can’t raise his tail to spray. Supposedly they can’t spray if they can’t raise their tail. Then go out of town, let him go and blast him, or go to the river and drown them. Animal control used to do this before some humaniac caught them, and yelled! I drowned lots in live traps and never had one spray. Pull the trap into the water with a long rope.
I use el cheapo cat food from the dollar stores, 2 or 3 cans for a buck for bait, though old minnows, fish guts, carp work.
you can catch them in paw traps but then you have a live stinky fully locked and loaded skunk to deal with, and no safe way to move em!
i NEVER drive by a live skunk! Even behind a no hunting sign! Hate em!

- - - Updated - - -

I’m going to experiment with skunk aversion dog training, using the same technique as an Arizona biologist uses for rattler aversion. Except using a skunk skin, a drop of trappers skunk smell lure, and a monofilament fish line for movement. Should work as long as the dog to be trained isn’t collar shy.
I have all the stuff ready to try, but haven’t found the time yet. I’ll report back if I try it and it works. The only way to test if it works would be to find a live skunk, keep the hopefully trained dog on leash, walk downwind and watch the pups reaction. No guarantees.....

You're overthinking it. Skunks are really easy to calm down. The PVC keeps them from spraying because it is dark, a blanket over a live trap will do the same thing. This can be done after you catch the skunk, just walk up too it calmly and set the blanket over the trap. Then carry it to wherever you want to dispatch it. Either by drowning, make sure the water is deep enough to completely submerge the trap, or like GST said use exhaust. Yoby if you want to know the best way to dispatch a skunk send me a PM.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I use a live trap to catch skunks, and then I give them a ride into town to make up for all the cats the city slickers bring out to my place. :;:muahaha

This is the best suggestion yet! :;:smokin

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddy's dog got hit by a skunk last year and I had a bottle of the Skunk Off. We put on gloves and washed the dog and applied the shampoo until the bottle was gone. Worked extremely well and didn't stink up the truck; ended up throwing a few towels away and took the dog to Shaggys afterwards as an extra precaution. Highly recommended.

This is the real deal bar none,shampoo if you tried the above method as doing so seals the stink into the pups coat,otherwise catch him early after getting sprayed I also have a spray bottle of skunk off that works on contact for him and my cloths. My vet carries this stuff as well,swears by it.

Thornell

Skunk-Off Pet Shampoo, 8-Ounce

Size: 8-Ounce

• Eliminate skunk odor with safe and effective Skunk Off Shampoo
  • Neutralizes odors without irritating skin or drying out coats
  • Ideal for removing skunk spray from pets, people, clothes, and even fabrics
  • Shampoo is safe for puppies and kittens over 8 weeks old
  • Available in 8-ounce size bottle

4.0 out of 5 stars 192 customer reviews

| 7 answered questions

Was:$9.16
You Save:

[/COLOR]

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Dad has gotten pretty efficient at trapping skunks and racoons. A live trap wrapped in an old canvas from a swather to seal it up outside of the enterance door, the afore mentioned wet cat food and a length of hose from the pickup exhaust to the trap. No smell no fuss.

Have to use an old enough vehicle that doesn't have a catalaytic converter, otherwise not enough CO to kill em.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or stick it in your neighbors mailbox! Just kidding. Did that with a wild cat once. Priceless.
My dad's cousin was our rural mailman. I stuck my pet coon in the mailbox. He freaked out for about two seconds then started screaming my name. He never forgot until the day he passed on.
When studying grazing and burning affecting waterfowl production we also had to access predator impact. We had to catch and release so as not to have an outside influence on production. We used live traps with sardines. We run six traps in 30 fields for a week in June. Skunks are like people and highly variable, but most will calm down as you talk and move slowly. I used two six foot sticks. One with a notched end and one notched back about one inch. We rolled the trap on it's back slowly, then with the notched end pushed the locking door inward and everything fell downward leaving the door completely open. I still use that capture method in my yard, but then slide them into my UTV trailer for a one way trip to Mr. Skunk cemetery.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Have to use an old enough vehicle that doesn't have a catalaytic converter, otherwise not enough CO to kill em.

Dad uses a 2004 chevy pickup haven;t had one not die yet. over 20 up[ thru last summer.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member

Dad uses a 2004 chevy pickup haven;t had one not die yet. over 20 up[ thru last summer.

When we lived in Texas in 1980/81 I had to get rid of gophers in my yard in town. I used a riding lawnmower and a length of radiator hose. Stuck it down the hole and packed dirt around the hose and left it run for an hour. Filled in all the gopher holes I could find and viola - no more gopher problems! I'm sure you could use a 4 wheeler also.

campchef

Honored Member
Campcook on here used to sell a shampoo that worked really well and was pretty cheap. May want to PM him. Not sure if he still sells it or not.
The "CAMPCOOK" is now the "CAMPCHEF" The product was a FISHERMAN'S HAND SOAP but like breakfast cereal the packaging and distribution cost more than the product. My buddies shorthair loved skunks and nothing worked better. Sorry, I don't sell it anymore and the guy who blended it for me was sent to jail for tax evasion.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
BTW, if you use the usual store bought live trap and have somewhere to dispose of the dead skunk pull it out there with the trap upright, then tip it over and within a minute or two,the skunk will figure out how tp exit the trap’s door and get out of the trap. Flipping it sideways unlocks the door. Then gently insert anything like a .17, a load of BBB’s, a .243, 300 mag or a 458 LOTT bullet up it butt! Can you tell what I feel about skunks!?!? A .600 Nitro Express would probably work, too.

Ive eaten pretty well every wild animal in ND, but NEVER a skunk. Anyone ever eaten one?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88