Smallmouth Bass

ZMan

How is the smallmouth fishing this time of year on Sakakawea ? average size, preferred baits ? appreciate any help.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
just pretend to be fishing for walleye on the east end and u will be golden ;)

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
There were 3 out of state bass boats this weekend near Indian Hills. Not sure if they were catching anything, but i was kind of hoping to see how those boats performed in 4' rollers.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
There were 3 out of state bass boats this weekend near Indian Hills. Not sure if they were catching anything, but i was kind of hoping to see how those boats performed in 4' rollers.

I think one would be shocked how well they actually do. Yes the wind was complained about at the elite series -- but it wasnt the wind it was the in-consistency of the fishery and the time of year that took them down vs. the wind. Plus wind oahe vs sak --I will take sak any day. From what i am told them guys ran 50-70 miles in 4 footers. Take a good look at the work involved with bass fishing and boating em for that matter in big waves no net. I have been in buddys bass boats in MN - in the small stuff -never any 4footers. I never owned one always wanted one, wouldnt own one now. We used to run tourneys in MN. It would be the bass boats vs the little guys and then some guy would show up with a what he thought was a fast walleye boat... The bass boats would blast out like rockets, the walleye boat would be at the tail lookin at rooster tails and the rest of us in the small stuff (tillers and more) would be at the end. We allowed live bait -- some live baiter would always win the damn thing.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
There has to be some pigs in sak. I've caught a couple ~18" while out deep for walleyes.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
why dont bass fisherman use nets?

Good question! And they get all dramatic and lay down while reaching and getting their feet all tangled up in spare rods and stuff. Sheesh!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
they do it for the excitement and more skill to land the fish. Take Fritts for example -- over age 60-- he actually looks in better shape then he did when he was young - he is standing all day pitchin and then rolling around on the floor in 4 footers trying to get a smally in after it leaps out of the water more than a few time.s Whats more fun - watching that or some NWT pro sit on his ass waiting for a bite and then hauling in lead core with an almost swam to death walleye on the end of a crank bait and a long net or the Frittz Blitz

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
neither it is boring as fuck to watch some one else fish regardless of what kind of fish it is. Kind like golf and watching paint dry or grass grow or people sitting in a tree stand hunting deer

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can watch MLF all day. Love that format but it does promote many small ones vs a few biggies. That part needs to have a max# of little fish per angler per period.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
I really like when the hydroplane the fish across the water!

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always caught more SM on the east end of Sak. I used to crush nice SM in Skoria bay but have not fished it in several years. 10ft and under use crank baits, rattle jigs or top water. For deeper use tubes or split shot rigs. Concentrate on trees in the water, rocky reefs, the garrison dam and 83 embankment.

ZMan

I have always caught more SM on the east end of Sak. I used to crush nice SM in Skoria bay but have not fished it in several years. 10ft and under use crank baits, rattle jigs or top water. For deeper use tubes or split shot rigs. Concentrate on trees in the water, rocky reefs, the garrison dam and 83 embankment.

Thank you Riggen&Jiggen

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guys at Indian hills were from nebraska that I saw. It was a hoot watching try to load up! They def need a little more practice!

ZMan

Is there main forage Cisco Herring ?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Is there main forage Cisco Herring ?
Everything eats smelt in Sak. Off the rocks you would think there would be more gold eye, crawdads, small perch. East end is loaded with small perch.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 155
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 53