Solar Eclipse

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recall grade school, making a box with a hole in it to watch it happen on a piece of paper on the other side of the box, super lame. Also recall some asshole tattling on someone that looked out the window at it, got that student moved out of the way for better view of the box. Sad

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a kid we just stared at the sun. It stops hurting after a while, you pussies.

Later that night we felt like we had sand in our eyes.

My night vision sucks now BTW. We weren't the sharpest pencils in the drawer.

Welder flash will do that too , surprising how little exposure it takes.

Back in the 70s there was a college kid in town that was strung out on drugs of some kind, I saw him walking around town without a jacket one cold winter day and he was looking up staring at the sun. I was just driving around so we watched the dude for a good 1/2 hour. I often wonder what ever happened to him, if he ended up in the hospital or blind ?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Welder flash will do that too , surprising how little exposure it takes.

Back in the 70s there was a college kid in town that was strung out on drugs of some kind, I saw him walking around town without a jacket one cold winter day and he was looking up staring at the sun. I was just driving around so we watched the dude for a good 1/2 hour. I often wonder what ever happened to him, if he ended up in the hospital or blind ?
I was a welder’s helper in western nd a couple years

got flashed a couple times - talk about sheer misery

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recall grade school, making a box with a hole in it to watch it happen on a piece of paper on the other side of the box, super lame. Also recall some asshole tattling on someone that looked out the window at it, got that student moved out of the way for better view of the box. Sad
The funny thing about this is you could do this anytime. Just cut out a circle and slowly pass it over the hole of the box. Plus you could do it fast so it only takes a minute instead of an hour.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A wire welder in a building with white walls and ceiling will give a good burn in the eyes, trust I know

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do, stood in the parking lot of Magic City Campus (graduated 80) and watched it.

Seen the other day that hotels in the total eclipse zone that usually charge $90 for a night are charging over $900.

...lame...
This is one of my biggest pet peeves in life. The only business that jacks their prices up when things are going on in town. I am usually against government regulations, but this is one thing that should never happen.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw on YouTube where a hotel broke a contract with a travel agency that sold trips. What some MFers to blatantly brake a contract because a few months ago you weren't smart enough to know what today was. I'm sure they will sue them. Hopefully they recoup their losses after having to reschedule in more exspensive rooms.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is one of my biggest pet peeves in life. The only business that jacks their prices up when things are going on in town. I am usually against government regulations, but this is one thing that should never happen.
Where do you draw the line?

I know I can get a hotel room at Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, the old fancy one downtown, any of the Marriot properties, Holiday Inn Express, etc. in Rapid City anytime in the next 6wks for <$100/night. Mid-May, they'll be $150-$250 until Aug, then they'll be $250-$750, and back down to $150sih by Mid-Sept and under $100 again by Dec. Rapid and the 'Hills in general NEED the capacity in the summer, and they also NEED to be able to pay the bills year 'round.

Should Bismarck hotels be able to charge more during McQuades? Minot during state basketball? How about busy wedding weekends?

Slippery slope.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0138.jpeg

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where do you draw the line?

I know I can get a hotel room at Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, the old fancy one downtown, any of the Marriot properties, Holiday Inn Express, etc. in Rapid City anytime in the next 6wks for <$100/night. Mid-May, they'll be $150-$250 until Aug, then they'll be $250-$750, and back down to $150sih by Mid-Sept and under $100 again by Dec. Rapid and the 'Hills in general NEED the capacity in the summer, and they also NEED to be able to pay the bills year 'round.

Should Bismarck hotels be able to charge more during McQuades? Minot during state basketball? How about busy wedding weekends?

Slippery slope.
No to all the above. No need to jack your prices to 2 times the amount just because there is stuff going on in any town. I am sure they would be able to pay the bills no matter what, especially the big name hotels. Now could I see a motel in some little town in the middle nowhere that is owned by Jim who lives in town raising his prices a little when a wedding is in town? Sure. But guess what? Jim the local motel owner doesn't do that. I know because I've rented rooms in small towns for weddings and sporting events.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you ever been at an auction ?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I remember the eclipse in 79 or 80. Neat to see but not something that I have a desire to travel very far to see again. Would recommend if close to a full eclipse. Today with the TV coverage you get a pretty view on TV. Don'texperience the full affect of going dark during the day for a few minutes and then getting light again. A different dark than midnight and the sun going down in the evening is much slower than darkness from the eclipse.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 208
  • This month: 182
  • This month: 165
  • This month: 140
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 90