The Problem Facing ND Waterfowl Hunting

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
you think its that bad i live in the heart of pheasant country and can go as much as i want and have never been told no to hunt waterfowl.
Mobridge is not the hart you and i both know that. Get down in the triangle around Chamberlain and its not quite so easy to get on. But in that area down by 90 like yours getting waterfowl access is sometimes easier since many dont guide for them and they dont like them eating the pheasants waste grain.

- - - Updated - - -

North dakota will never go full TX with our current set up since good areas move around to much year to year and ponds good one year are a corn field the next and a walleye lake five years on. Places in the state with stable setups will get baught up and are. This is especially true if you can get multiple seasons like fall and spring waterfowl along with upland and summer and winter fishing. Because of this places like DL are already well established already and operations along the river in the Washburn area are quickly becoming so as well.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think everyone ought to take a deep breath and hear what I have to say: Wait it out.

I firmly believe attention is shifting north. Thirty years ago, North Dakota was the untapped waterfowl mecca. Today, darn near every duck and goose hunters has had a sip. Some who have been at the trough the longest don't like the taste after all the backwash. They're looking for greener pastures.

The hunting shows are pretty much Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba on a 24/7 loop. Guys I know who have been hunting up there for years have commented how they're seeing more and more rigs.

I think as folks get fed up with the rat-race that has become Nodak, they're going to just drive a few more hours north and pilfer Canuckistan instead.

That's my thoughts. I'm going out of my way to stay as far out of the popular duck holes as possible, and so far it's been paying off.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have any problems with ND waterfowl hunting. I like it!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mobridge is not the hart you and i both know that. Get down in the triangle around Chamberlain and its not quite so easy to get on. But in that area down by 90 like yours getting waterfowl access is sometimes easier since many dont guide for them and they dont like them eating the pheasants waste grain.

- - - Updated - - -

North dakota will never go full TX with our current set up since good areas move around to much year to year and ponds good one year are a corn field the next and a walleye lake five years on. Places in the state with stable setups will get baught up and are. This is especially true if you can get multiple seasons like fall and spring waterfowl along with upland and summer and winter fishing. Because of this places like DL are already well established already and operations along the river in the Washburn area are quickly becoming so as well.

Just because people think there are more pheasants down there does not make it true. I got relatives in mitchell and good friends in chamberlain and grew up in watertown other than the black hills i have spent alot of time in the state and mobridge area is the worst for pheasant, deer and waterfowl hunting no one should ever come around here it is a barren waste land. The real honey hole for pheasants is peever.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just because people think there are more pheasants down there does not make it true. I got relatives in mitchell and good friends in chamberlain and grew up in watertown other than the black hills i have spent alot of time in the state and mobridge area is the worst for pheasant, deer and waterfowl hunting no one should ever come around here it is a barren waste land. The real honey hole for pheasants is peever.
Just because people think there are more down around Chamberlain doesnt makt it true.....but the game and fish counting them does!

Screenshot_20160823-134714.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
those counts are about as good as your game and fish counts on the deer you have. the western sd one is laughable

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think everyone ought to take a deep breath and hear what I have to say: Wait it out.

I firmly believe attention is shifting north. Thirty years ago, North Dakota was the untapped waterfowl mecca. Today, darn near every duck and goose hunters has had a sip. Some who have been at the trough the longest don't like the taste after all the backwash. They're looking for greener pastures.

The hunting shows are pretty much Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba on a 24/7 loop. Guys I know who have been hunting up there for years have commented how they're seeing more and more rigs.

I think as folks get fed up with the rat-race that has become Nodak, they're going to just drive a few more hours north and pilfer Canuckistan instead.

That's my thoughts. I'm going out of my way to stay as far out of the popular duck holes as possible, and so far it's been paying off.

I agree to a point that the rat race is moving north. I saw more rigs every year I went up there. And, people started figuring out the dates rather than being sucker early all the time. But it is still a big place compared the where we hunt with lots of birds. The only thing I would say is folks still like to stay in the USA, either because they can't get in or don't want to hassle with it.

Hunters as a whole are just becoming much, much more mobile. Look at all the threads on here asking about what out of state tags each person got- lots of people traveling to hunt. People are taking their hunting more serious than ever. Heck, SD has seen a decrease in resident waterfowlers and I feel there is 10x more pressure than 15 years ago. Why? Because the guys that hunt go at it hard, have trailers full of decoys, and put on tons of miles a year to find birds. They are out there every single weekend and more. Either do the same or you're at a disadvantage. Just a fact of the matter anymore, good or bad. It's not just waterfowl anymore.......

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now that the season is officially over, tell me about your season. What did you see? For me, it was pretty much feast or famine. An awesome opener, and some great hunts at the end. Unfortunately didn't get in on some great late season goose hunting due to timing and other hindrances. Did see a whole lot of hunters struggling as I was at times. The October lull was particularly bad this year. One highlight was actually a miss while pass shooting Canadas and a beautiful albino Canada was juuuuuuust on the edge of range but I couldn't knock him down. I'll probably have to wait another 30 years to see another.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
for the first time in 16 years I didn't waterfowl hunt even one time. wow, that feels weird saying that.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shot 68 Honkers this year with an unknown number of ducks. Saw a few hunters, heard more than I saw. Two problems with F'N SCONIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of birds, had a GREAT TIME!! Bought 9 dozen more full body honker deks, two new layout blinds, and will be raring to go next August. Like I said before, I have no problems with ND Waterfowl Hunting, I like it!!! Happy New Year Guys!!!

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
the super gay white sunglasses wearing, decal trailer pulling guys have really ruined it for me. I basically don't want to be associated with waterfowl hunting anymore. I used to hunt ducks every weekend too. that and I spent a ton more time bowhunting this year.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now that the season is officially over, tell me about your season. What did you see? For me, it was pretty much feast or famine. An awesome opener, and some great hunts at the end. Unfortunately didn't get in on some great late season goose hunting due to timing and other hindrances. Did see a whole lot of hunters struggling as I was at times. The October lull was particularly bad this year. One highlight was actually a miss while pass shooting Canadas and a beautiful albino Canada was juuuuuuust on the edge of range but I couldn't knock him down. I'll probably have to wait another 30 years to see another.
Similar experience as you. The PPR was quite a bit dryer than recent history. Had to scout quite a bit to find a couple decent spots for opener - got beat to the first one but the backup was a good transition slough and had one of our best opener hunts ever. Once NR opener passed I really didn't scout much as I didn't have much faith and so many people I talked to kept saying how hard it was to find ducks. Plus had a couple weekends of pheasant hunting in there and then went to Canada and then deer season so my effort wasn't great in late Oct-early Nov but I have my doubts that it would have helped much. One farmer I know in the Goodrich area whose family hunts most every weekend said it's the worst season they'd seen since the 80's. It was just so warm - we barely had a frost before November and Saskatchewan was just as warm and much wetter. One thing it seems I've noticed is that 5 years ago you'd almost always find a pod of honkers worth setting up on (talking regular season) and I haven't seen that much recently. If you do, it's like 10-20 birds. So apparently the early season is working. Positives were that the snows were around in pretty good numbers from about Nov. 10-Dec. 1 and had a couple decent shoots on them. Some bad luck where a couple of the days I could hunt were sunny and no wind. Ducks finally seemed to come down in good numbers about Thanksgiving (again, crazy how late it was) and I think a guy could have done real well if he had a week off around there. Knew some guys hunting on the last day of the season in the DL region not even hunting birds coming off of DL or Stump that were thick with mallards. Rare that duck season (low plains) closes with plenty of birds still north of 94. Overall, a bit of a slow-developing season but luckily we have pheasants and fishing to fill in the lulls.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's to you 3geese. I hope your dog has many years of retrieves left.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
for the first time in 16 years I didn't waterfowl hunt even one time. wow, that feels weird saying that.
First time since 87 I'm in the same boat. Recovery from surgery took out most of September and the first part of October and by the time all that was clear it was time for deer.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not like 5 years ago. But, better than the last two. I thought Dean was arguing with someone on another thread about killing waterfowl this year.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many of the NR waterfowl hunters also buy small game, deer bow, and fishing licenses. The NDGF will
never even consider limiting that revenue stream unless the ND residents raise a major ruckus on a level that gets on the news.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
46 ducks and a couple geese for me, nice season all things considered. Looking forward to leading edge spring snows. Hope you get her the 15 3geese...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88