Trail Cameras

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A while ago someone asked for suggestions on a good trail camera to purchase. As I read through the answers I lost track of all the cameras that you guys, or girls, suggested because it seemed like most of them were considered good.

It might be easier for me if I ask the question, "What cameras would you avoid or not recommend?" And, are there certain features that you recommend or wouldn't do without?

Currently don't own a trail camera but in the mood for one, or to answer my wife, "I really need one, the grandkids will have a lot of fun with it."

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not a big trail camera guy or have used a bunch. I've had Moultrie, Wildgame Innovations and Stealth Cam. Cheap ones you know, so I don't expect much...

With that said I've taken down my stealth cam's, rightfully pissed on them and light them on fire with a flaming crucifix.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
ill second the no-go for stealth cams. Had one I bought at scheels a few years back, before I even put it on the tree I was pissed at it and took it back to the store.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Hunten brand one from Scheels a couple years ago and definitely would not recommend it. I don't think there's one thing I actually like about it.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love the Moultrie A series cams; affordable, super easy to setup, very reliable, and take pretty good pics . I think I have 6 or 7 now...Have some other Moultries 888 (?) that are real awful to navigate settings and will fail more than occasionally.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run three in my yard to see what kind of deer are around. I was surprised to Ser coyote eating pears. I have run a half dozen types and only had two bad experiences. Mouktrie couldn't take the cold and shut down completely. A few weeks ago was Dunhams grand opening in Jamestown and they had an $80 Stelthcam for $40. It is less than worthless. Since my son passed away this year I thought I should do everything possible to get his son a deer. So I put out corn for the first time, and this camera at 6 yards. It would not pick me up, but if there were two of us it triggered. A week later it showed a group of five does and fawns and a group of six, but no singles. I didn't believe it so we sat on the stand. We forgot a flashlight so I went back to the truth. Half way back to the stand I heard him holler "grandpa I got one". Sure enough he stuck a 4x4 right through the heart. His first shot ever at a deer with a bow. Great hunt extremely poor camera.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've settled on brownings. The updated Strike Force pro is as good as my old reconyx for 1/4 price.
reconyx is pretty much flawless.

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used about every brand. Currently running 8 browning cameras a couple old cuddybacks and 5 bushnell cams. The browning cameras are pretty impressive for a cheaper camera. Takes great pics and great battery life. I have not replaced batteries since I put them up in July. They are on sale at Scheels now for $100.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bushnell trophy cam HD
Great battery life even in cold.
Great pics and video even at night.
And about$120

Oh and did I mention I have had some of these for about 8 years so that is tens of thousands of pictures and still working fine, amazing really.

Bought a couple brownings during this sale. They are much harder on batteries and the night IR pics suck.
Easy to operate thou and day pics are good.
FB_IMG_1507126777735.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have a really funny trail cam pic of some "white tails" but it's probably to risky for this site.

Last edited:

bowhunter88

Established Member
Went through a number of cameras, camera i've had the best luck with is the cuddeback long range ir. It's 150 at scheels and can sometimes catch them on sale. Great pics day and night, easy to use and set up, one set of lithium batteries will last about a season and a half. Camera so far is going on its 4th season and still works like new. I think anytime when you buy a camera you just have to hope you didn't get a lemon.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had and used a handfull of different brands. It seems like they all have lemons and you do get what you pay for. I still try not to spend to much on them though. Have probably had the best luck with the bushnell trophy cams. It seems if they are problem free from the start they will be good and last, if you have problems right away send it back for a new one don't listen to their fixes of trying different batteries, different sd cards, etc.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anybody ever try a Covert Code Black wireless Camera?

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a couple Spypoint cameras off Camofire this summer and they are complete junk.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run cheap moultrie with a modem. Work good in my opinion except it is addicting to look at pictures during prime moving times. 1508525491395.jpg

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think the 3 most reliable camera brands I have run have been Bushnell, Moultrie, and Cuddeback. The early Cuddes were awesome, except I didn't care much for the giant SD cards. Early moultries kind of sucked. Once the cuddes started going downhill was about the time the Bushnell Trophy Cam HDs first came out. These are probably the best cameras I have, awesome warranty and company to work with too. They had a string of cameras with sticky triggers, and I was able to send 2 back that were 2-3 years old and they sent me brand new ones back within 2 weeks.
Moultire has really gotten better. I had great luck with the M80s when they first came out. Since then I tried a newer Cudde and it has been flawless so far and has the best trigger speed and pictures out of all them.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, stay away from the Stealth cams. I have one my wife bought me a couple years ago. I still use it, but the pics are horrible. Hoping it quits working any day so I can justify buying a new one! I have 2 other bushnells, but they are older (probably 2011 and 2014 years) and aren't the HD kind. Good pics, but a few minor issues with them. Sometimes they seem to have sticky triggers so they will take pics over and over, especially when they are cold.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHO, if you're willing to spend a little money you shouldn't be disappointed. Sure, for the go go go style deer hunter, it might be better to spend a little more so as not to miss a single deer, but i have a $24 camera that honestly takes damn near as good of pictures as my $180 camera. Probably misses from time to time, and the quality isn't there, but if it were me, read some reviews and go with your gut. chances are you won't be disappointed.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know some people like them but I wouldn't recommend the WGI. Also, I bought a primos brand cam at Dicks on black Friday & it was a piece of shit from the get go. I've never had any problems with Moultrie so they are my go to.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33