Who only shoots mature bucks?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only way, and I mean ONLY way QDM works is with a high fence.

Hommie don't play that.

Why ? If it works with fenced operation why wouldn't it work in a natural environment ? Iv'e watched alpha bucks round up harems since I was a kid and they always fight a lone battle with many other bucks. There is only so much they can do and no matter how big and fast they are, they can only be one place at a time. The less dominant bucks sneak in from all directions 24/7 during the rut and they score quite often and make babies too.

For that reason, I believe that shooting a lopsided scrubby buck for meat helps maintain better genetics.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why ? If it works with fenced operation why wouldn't it work in a natural environment ? Iv'e watched alpha bucks round up harems since I was a kid and they always fight a lone battle with many other bucks. There is only so much they can do and no matter how big and fast they are, they can only be one place at a time. The less dominant bucks sneak in from all directions 24/7 during the rut and they score quite often and make babies too.

For that reason, I believe that shooting a lopsided scrubby buck for meat helps maintain better genetics.
QDM is much, much more than shooting a lopsided scrubby buck.

As in any "experiment" you have to be able to control your environment. Without a high fence, I think most will be able to see the problem.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well judging what I have seen first hand and with my cameras out I would say mother nature did a fair bit of deer management this past winter. Tough winter and high coyote population in my opinion has had an effect on the numbers in my immediate area. Can't control the weather but there are ways to do something about predators, just need to get myself to make time to get back into coyote hunting and one does not necessarily have to wait for snow and -25 temps. People can talk about big game selective harvest all they want but glaze over predators and they don't even try to do their part, I'm just as guilty about this. Not sure what this one had in its mouth

yote.JPG

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well judging what I have seen first hand and with my cameras out I would say mother nature did a fair bit of deer management this past winter. Tough winter and high coyote population in my opinion has had an effect on the numbers in my immediate area. Can't control the weather but there are ways to do something about predators, just need to get myself to make time to get back into coyote hunting and one does not necessarily have to wait for snow and -25 temps. People can talk about big game selective harvest all they want but glaze over predators and they don't even try to do their part, I'm just as guilty about this. Not sure what this one had in its mouth

yote.JPG
You are missing the most important aspect in the demise of the deer population in north dakota and that is deer habitat. That's why areas that have lots of deer habitat are able to sustain healthy populations year after year. Too bad those areas are also posted to high heaven 2d comes to mind never before has there been so much land been posted by people who don't even live in this unit.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lunk you're absolutely right!

I like the farmers that burn and disc the sloughs in the fall and then in the spring they fill up with water anyway and go unplanted. Makes a lot of sense.

Taking out shelterbelts to get 3 more acres of cropland is another one. It's happening a lot!!

CRP isn't worth hardly anything when corn prices are high. (no idea what prices are right at the moment but when it was high, POOF CRP was gonzo!!)

It's their land they can do whatever they want. I'm just stating facts. So any of you "DON'T TOUCH MY CORN" types can just save it.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are missing the most important aspect in the demise of the deer population in north dakota and that is deer habitat. That's why areas that have lots of deer habitat are able to sustain healthy populations year after year. Too bad those areas are also posted to high heaven 2d comes to mind never before has there been so much land been posted by people who don't even live in this unit.
I didn't miss it, luckily our habitat close around me has gone unchanged for the most part over the years. I'm only stating my little immediate area with the biggest influences over the last 10yrs. You and Jiffy are for sure not wrong though. The tree's are a just a large weed or the deer eat too much of my cattle pasture grass mentality is just twisted to me.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love it when people post fork horns on WY mule deer pages on Facebook and all the whiners come out of the woodwork. If they shoot the small ones it only leaves more big ones for the rest of us! Meat is meat! Some people don’t have the time, $$$$$, land ( opportunity) to wait for a big one.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love it when people post fork horns on WY mule deer pages on Facebook and all the whiners come out of the woodwork. If they shoot the small ones it only leaves more big ones for the rest of us! Meat is meat! Some people don’t have the time, $$$$$, land ( opportunity) to wait for a big one.
I respectfully disagree somewhat. Let 'em grow/shoot a doe.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally don’t care if I kill another deer but I usually shoot a doe every year. Friends and I eat it. wanted to kill old bucks. I rarely shoot a deer with bow or rifle. maybe ;’shoot a crusty buck every decade If that. I would rather watch them on camera.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like politics it's a pendulum. I don't want to see a field of fuckhorn bucks and a dozen does.

I typed and deleted a lot of shit.

That is all.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93