Transporting 100lb propane tank on side?

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looked online and everyone has a different opinion. Thinking of buying a 100lb tank for my camper when out hunting in it for extended periods of time so don't have to bring so many 20 ponders. Only problem is with a goose neck camper i can't stand it up in my bed. Is there any real danger in hauling it laying down such as it leaking out? Would probably only be hauling it a few times a year.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
We did it for years on the rig, then some safety bitch pointed out it was illegal. No idea if we were hoop jumping, I suppose in an accident the risk of breaking the valve off is higher. Meh, do what ya want...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've done it and never had a problem Just make sure your valve is protected and secure it so it can't roll around.

- - - Updated - - -

We did it for years on the rig, then some safety bitch pointed out it was illegal. No idea if we were hoop jumping, I suppose in an accident the risk of breaking the valve off is higher. Meh, do what ya want...

You could of had a worm tack weld a tread protector on it . Dang I miss the oilfield paychecks

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I was told from a propane dude is, it can be transported laying down as long as the valve cover is screwed on.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As long as you have the heavy valve cover in place you will be ok. Its just a safety extra to have it standing up.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely have a valve cover over the valve. Could be a missle if that valve busts off.
We hauled them for many many years laying on their side with a valve cover on. Strap it down if at all possible.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ok, I have no reason to read this post for any reason other than useful information stored for a later date...kind of like the thread about venting a bathroom double sink awhile back. Anyway, took me a couple minutes to figure out why you wanted to stand that thing up in your bed...then I realized which bed you meant...good to know if I ever haul a 100 pound propane tank it can be on its side... valve cover in place and set up so it won’t roll around.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, I have no reason to read this post for any reason other than useful information stored for a later date...kind of like the thread about venting a bathroom double sink awhile back. Anyway, took me a couple minutes to figure out why you wanted to stand that thing up in your bed...then I realized which bed you meant...good to know if I ever haul a 100 pound propane tank it can be on its side... valve cover in place and set up so it won’t roll around.

haha that was funny , To put his arm around when he sleeps. Some guys have a thing for thick women you know.

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
48B99C58-BADD-4409-94E1-D32119BCA735.jpg
haha that was funny , To put his arm around when he sleeps. Some guys have a thing for thick women you know.

24a3e57f-0596-46f3-91cb-f5afde378d2f

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone will definitely get a valve cover for it and will strap it down well to prevent it from rolling around.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Man needs two wives. A thick one in the winter and a thin one in the summer. That would be a hoot. Tough enough keeping one happy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28