Transporting Fish Question ??

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Q1. When you use a fish cleaning station do you need to leave a piece of skin on each fillet to ID the fish?

Q2. If you and your group take the fish to one persons HOME clean them, and then your partners take them home, do you the same rules apply? The 2 rules in question are the skin to ID them, and can they be cut in half or and not count as 2 filletes??

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Q1. When you use a fish cleaning station do you need to leave a piece of skin on each fillet to ID the fish?

Q2. If you and your group take the fish to one persons HOME clean them, and then your partners take them home, do you the same rules apply? The 2 rules in question are the skin to ID them, and can they be cut in half or and not count as 2 filletes??
Need to leave a patch on them, if you zip them, that will count as 2 fillets.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably not a good idea to have them cut up if you are traveling. Pretty clear in the regs that each piece of meat counts as a fillet.

I don't believe ND requires a skin patch, unless maybe you have more fillets than is the limit (say you cleaned 5 walleyes and 3 pike, you might want ID on those?)

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I quit using cleaning stations years ago. I hate people. It's pretty gay when there's 20 people waiting to use a cleaning station. Clean em at home, the way you want to clean em, throw the guts in a random neighborhood garbage bin.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I quit using cleaning stations years ago. I hate people. It's pretty gay when there's 20 people waiting to use a cleaning station. Clean em at home, the way you want to clean em, throw the guts in a random neighborhood garbage bin.
That's what I always do, except if I use a friends house. I also have a buddy that likes to use the cleaning station sometimes and when we use his boat it's not my choice.

But Lets say you've had them in your home in the fridge or freezer, I thought you could then transport them however you want? No?

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you gotta leave a tag on em if they are goin over state lines don't ya? Maybe not I dunno.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. What is the new rule on packaging fish fillets for transport?

Fish may be filleted for transport, unless size limits apply, under the following conditions:

1. Each individual portion of the meat removed from a fish is considered a fillet (fish cheeks and pectoral girdles (wings) are not considered as fillets and are legal to transport);
  2. Two fillets are counted as one fish, and;
  3. The packaging of fish must be done in a manner so that the fillets can be readily separated and counted. If fillets are frozen, they must be packaged so that the fillets are separated and thus can be easily counted without thawing.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what I always do, except if I use a friends house. I also have a buddy that likes to use the cleaning station sometimes and when we use his boat it's not my choice.

But Lets say you've had them in your home in the fridge or freezer, I thought you could then transport them however you want? No?

That was true until they started the BS rules. Now, anytime you are in possession of fish filets away from your home they need to be packaged so the individual filets are intact (no zippering) and frozen flat so they can be counted.

Yeah, yeah, I can hear NDGF already saying "look, we aren't out to harass people gifting fish to friends or taking fish over to your neighbor's for a fish fry", but I say BS...rules are rules and courts don't often take intent under consideration. This rule has pretty much made all of us a lawbreaker, and that pisses me off. No different than the requirement to have your deer tag on the back of all your mounts ever since the late 90s or early 2000s. Again, "we ain't out to confiscate your deer heads from before the new rule", but they can and there wouldn't be shit a person could do about it.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been like this for years, Minnesota is worse and I have seen what people can do to break law's for fish. I have many relatives that do it. Most of us do not it is those that do that wreck it for all of us. Hell damn fish fries are good example. Just ask anybody that fishes how many fish he has in his freezer bingo.

WalleyeGuy80

Has anyone had a game warden count you live bait? Looking at game and fish website you can have 150 minnows and 300 leaches.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you live over an hour away from bait n trap your own you may think differently.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
That was true until they started the BS rules. Now, anytime you are in possession of fish filets away from your home they need to be packaged so the individual filets are intact (no zippering) and frozen flat so they can be counted.

Yeah, yeah, I can hear NDGF already saying "look, we aren't out to harass people gifting fish to friends or taking fish over to your neighbor's for a fish fry", but I say BS...rules are rules and courts don't often take intent under consideration. This rule has pretty much made all of us a lawbreaker, and that pisses me off. No different than the requirement to have your deer tag on the back of all your mounts ever since the late 90s or early 2000s. Again, "we ain't out to confiscate your deer heads from before the new rule", but they can and there wouldn't be shit a person could do about it.
Ok, so they changed to any time you travel with them, gotcha. I know there's no freezer law in ND, yet, but I thought that after you had them at you're home and packaged, you'd be good to take them anywhere. I know SD has a freezer law, and even remember an old guy getting raided in the 90's.

I read the regs about transporting but didn't see the part about how many. Did I miss it or is it in the possession limit section? Just wondering if I can send a buddy home with his possession limit after I clean and freeze them for him.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The possession limit is defined as the maximum number of legally taken fish (by species) that an individual may have in their actual possession during any phase of any single fishing trip of more than one day. At no time may an individual transport more than a possession limit without written approval of the Game and Fish director.

OK is just me or does this mean you can only take home 1 days limit of fish?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very interesting have never been asked to count bait, wonder why?
My guess is there are 2 possible reasons, #1 would be the most likely, to force people to spend more on a bait vendor license who arent REALLY bait vendors, just so they can keep the minnows they caught for personal use, or #2 they were pressured by bait trappers / retailers to implement it for some reason or another.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 43
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15