Vertical Pellet Smoker reviews

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of you have one of these? Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker? Good? bad? thoughts?
pit-boss-smokers-77700-64_1000.jpg

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw that at Scheels the other day and I want it!! 35 hours of run time it said. Looked really nice.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that the one at Mac's as well? Looked pretty decent when I was in there tonight.

My old propane one thingy might have another season left in it.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had the Pit Boss C5 (only available at walmart) for about 3 months now and love it. It maintains heat pretty well in the cabinet. The control temp swings a bit, but the temp in the cabinet looks to be pretty consistent. The only issue that I have had with mine, and I think it's because the pit boss pellets are shit, is that when I filled the hopper and left it full of pellets, the ones at the bottom turned to dust, and then got damp (from humidity I'm assuming) and turned rock hard in the auger chute. I actually had to take the auger and motor loose a couple days ago because the auger wouldn't turn. When I got them loose I actually had to unscrew the auger from the concoction that was in the auger chute (like removing a screw from a piece of wood). I'm going to give it a go with some higher quality pellets and see if I have any issues or not. I'm thinking all will be fine, but who knows.

All in all I would recommend this smoker to anyone looking for a large capacity unit. I have no doubt that there is room for at least 4 if not 6 pork butts. And I'd be willing to bet that If I got some of those rib racks I could probably get 35+ racks of ribs into the thing.

If you are seriously considering getting one of these, go to walmart and see if they have any of the C5s in stock. They won't be listed on their website most likely and if they are listed, it probably won't show any in stock. It didn't when I got mine, but when I went into the Bismarck Walmart by Sams Club there were 3 of them in stock. The price you pay for the size of smoker u get with the C5 is awesome.

I should also add that until I use up the shit pitboss pellets that I have mixed with my left over traeger pellets I'm having to empty the hopper every time I finish smoking and then crank the heat up to get it to use up whatever is left in the chute.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I should add that I think their estimations of runtime are going to be based on running at the highest temp possible. My C5 holds around 60# of pellets. I filled it to the top and when I did my first pork butt in it I cooked it for about 10 hours at 225 and it didn't even use 1/5th of the pellets in the hopper.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the exact opposite experience. The traeger pellets didn't work for shit in grill. The competition blend from pit boss have been my go to. They seem to feed better and be more consistent with heat. My grill stays in the garage when not in use.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
That looks like a pretty sweet little smoker setup.

I have never had an issue with the pit boss pellets in my traeger myself. Just vacuum the inside of the grill including the fire pot out about every 10 times I put it to use and let it rip. My grill also is stored in the garage when not in use and the extra pellets I have are stored in 5 gallon pails with lids on them.

Last edited:

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm no help on that smoker but I'll add Lumberjack Pellets into the mix. They have good flavor, very little dust in the bags and they are fairly cheap compared to name brands (ie Traeger, GMG, Pit Boss). They have rave reviews on most of the smoking forums as well.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think every brand of pellets has a lot of dust in the bag from the beating they take in shipment. On a windy day I will slowly pour my pellets into a five gallon bucket holding the bag about 18 inches above the bucket. Do it out on the driveway or you will have a lot of wood dust on your deck.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
i need to get a couple pails to store my pellets in

Get yourself a yeti bucket for $40. Rumor has it that if you put 4 gallons of pellets in it, after a couple days you will actually have 5 gallons of pellets.

L_Main_Charcoal_Expanded_F_Loadout.jpg

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Haven't used any pellets other than GMG yet, but I was going to try some of the pit boss in my GMG. I like the idea of a lone piece of wood smoke (apple, hickory, pecan) rather than the GMG style of mixed bags (Gold blend, Fruitwood).

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm no help on that smoker but I'll add Lumberjack Pellets into the mix. They have good flavor, very little dust in the bags and they are fairly cheap compared to name brands (ie Traeger, GMG, Pit Boss). They have rave reviews on most of the smoking forums as well.

I can testify for the Lumberjack pellets. Usually $10 a bag. Have bought them as low as $6. I've only have ran the Traeger and Lumberjack. I've had good luck with both. I tend to stay away from any of their "blends" though. They seem too mellow for my tastes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 56