What makes a trophy Small Mouth in ND or MN?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
How the hell does one take a pic from the desktop and post it to a thread?!

Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 10.29.30 PM.jpg

That will open this pop-up window. Click on "From computer" and then click on "choose file." That will bring up the items on your desktop. Click on the name of the pic file and then click on "Click here to upload." Give it a couple of seconds to upload.

Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 10.33.37 PM.jpg

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
My gut tells me Sak has some monsters lurking in its depths. The people and techniques to catch them have not yet been applied. I have a feeling Sak is a sleeping giant with all the bait in that lake right now. For all species.

I agree 1000% with this statement.

- - - Updated - - -

I mounted a fort peck one full of eggs. They are beautiful.

There was a tournament on Ft. Peck a couple of weeks ago that took 47 pounds over 2 days to win. The limit each day was 5 fish and this was all smallies. The average sized fish that was weighed in during the tournament was over 4 pounds! The biggest for the even was somewhere around 6.75 pounds! Just unreal.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a record one but one of size that should be mounted???

For Walleye most say 10# or 30 inches. What do most say for a Small Mouth???

Most of us bass guys in this state consider anything over 5 pounds a big smallmouth. 4 pounders are pretty common on most of our waters but the 5 pounders are pretty rare. I was convinced that I would keep the first 5 pounder that I caught. Then I caught two in one day and released both. Now I guess I'll mount the first 6 pounder I catch...

By the way, the biggest one that I caught was 5lbs 15 oz and was right at 20 inches. This was in the spring when she was full of eggs.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys for all the great responses. I will be trying/hoping for at least a 20 incher. Biggest so far has been 16. Plan on spending the end of this week on the water.

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a side note, I know most guys up here don't care for replicas and would rather have a skin mount done. However, I've seen way more terrible skin mounts than I've seen replicas. Personally, I'd rather have the replica so I don't have to kill the fish. There is one place on Lake Fork in Texas that does some amazing replicas. I'd post the link but this damn gov't computer won't let me.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
5lbs is considered a trophy by todays standards,largest I seen was from mille lacs,"cpr'd" a few years ago 7.3lbs,however numerous smallies over 5lbs are had on a regular basis.

Here is a friend with a dandy 6.8lb'er~

smallie2.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive been eating em since I fished with 5575 a few years back. Fresh they are quite taste, frozen and eaten at a later date, they become less than good.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
You must really be catching some dinks if you are eating smallys john...

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sept. fishing002.jpg
This is Scarface from 3mi Corner. We caught her two years in a row. She weighed 3.8 when the boy caught her. I didn't weigh her a year later when I hung her at night. She's still there...you'll know her if you get her. Thank you SL!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys for all the great responses. I will be trying/hoping for at least a 20 incher. Biggest so far has been 16. Plan on spending the end of this week on the water.

You'd be happier if you ignored the length and concentrated on weight. A solid 4 would be a good mount from Audobon or Sak IMHO. Never achieved it and I'm pretty good. Not bragging if true.:)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88