White Hot Powder??

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother in law and I both decided to switch to these powder pellet this year along with putting a scope on the muzzleloaders, what a mistake! We both cannot hit the broad side of a barn with them, no consistent groups and some shots not even hitting a two foot square and this is shooting from a bench utilizing a vise.

We switched back to our usual pyrodex pellets and everything came back on target and grouped. I took some of the pellets and weighted them in groups of three, 150 grains supposedly. The closest group of three pellets weighted up at 117.5 grains and the worst was 101.5 grains, individual pellets varied by 1 to 5 grains.

Just curious if anyone has had any success shooting them? I know that I will never buy them again!

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always preferred pouring loose powder down rather than pellets. Quite a few years ago I weighed a couple of different brands of pellets and found they were all not-consistent in weights. I did the same with loose powder and it wasn't 100% consistent, but much better than the pellets. That was 10+ years ago, so maybe they are better now, but measuring with the loose powder seems to eliminate risk for me.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
We talked about this also, we went to pellets about 4 years ago just because of ease of use, but are contemplating going back. I have never used Blackhorn 209, but may give it a try?

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
in the past I have used Hodgdon triple 7 black powder pellets and have had satisfactory results with it. I shoot iron(fiber optic) sights and not scopes so at 100 yards I was easily grouping in a pie plate with that powder and powerbelt rounds. I will most likely shoot the iron sights since there is the 1X magnification limit and I enjoy the challenge of getting it close.

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it wasn't such a pain in the ass to get, i'd shoot real black powder over anything else without question. Otherwise out of all the substitutes i've tried triple 7 seems to be the most consistent.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 107
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34