Who do you believe ?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whoever in the fuck told farmers it was a good idea to spray wheat/oats/anything that is meant for human consumption with glyphosate a couple weeks before harvesting is an asshole.

And yes, I've held that position for years! It's called a swather.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have to agree with KDM on this one.

wife and i basically cook every night something we have shot or caught. We literally ran out of venison the earlier this month so she used her bow tag on a nice doe. i trimmed it up and had a whopping 3/4# trim the rest is cut into steaks, roasts, front shoulder bone in blade roats and shank roasts. if you think thats crazy wtach steve rinella and meat eater simple recipes, and the shit tastes good. you will hardly see me grind any good venison anymore. Big buck maybe but a good ole meat doe hell no.

its good, you feel better, grocery bill is cheaper, BP is way down, triglycerides way down, cholesterol way down... they weren't insanely high to begin with but much better than last year.

also I am not anti farmer one bit. but if I fish and hunt I don't see the point in spending hundreds at a grocery store when you got the best organic meat available

- - - Updated - - -

seriously those on the fence take a little time cook a bit, it helps i enjoy cooking and the wife does too but you will look at vension as sooooo much more than sausage
itll turn into top sirloin, cut, eye of the round cut etc

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i can appreciate the eating what ya kill thing. and agree its better than processed boxed foods. but, if a fella is worried about chemicals and what not, i can't imagine some of our wildlife aren't walking chemistry experiments. those deer graze on crops without discretion or care for when they were sprayed and what they were sprayed with. in my opinion, glyhposate is probably the least of our worries in that respect. i would be a bit more worried about the insecticides, fungicides, etc.... same goes with our ducks and geese. and don't get me started on the sloughs they spend a majority of their lives in.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
ill admit that thought has crossed my mind shooting deer in ND. less out in the boonies of BLM rangeland in Wyoming but ND it sure has.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
if a fella is worried about chemicals and what not, i can't imagine some of our wildlife aren't walking chemistry experiments. those deer graze on crops without discretion or care for when they were sprayed and what they were sprayed with. in my opinion, glyhposate is probably the least of our worries in that respect.

I'm glad to see someone else got around to posting this before I had a chance to. There are VERY FEW places in the lower 48 in which an animal isn't within relatively easy travel distance of GMO corn, beans, alfalfa, or a crop that's been killed w/Roundup to aid dry-down. There are some high-country elk, mule-deer, sheep, and Mt goats that stay high enough to be away from it most of the year but the Mt Goats are probably the only critters in NA that are year-'round GMO free. Everything else migrates to a "winter range" that puts them in contact w/GMO crops.

Wild game is assuredly leaner than domesticated animals but thinking that it's "cleaner" or "chemical-free" is pretty short-sighted IMO.

In an attempt to answer the OP's original question, "Who do you believe?" I can say I really don't know who to believe. Too much $$ both directions for anything to be unbiased. Anti-GMO looking for the big class-action lawsuit payday. Pro-GMO entities not wanting to pay out class-action suits nor lose their annual "technology fees" of their GMO seeds.

Here's one thing I definitely believe: The world is well above it's carrying capacity of humans sans GMO crops. If my options @ 44yrs old are to die in say 6mo of starvation or die in my 70's, 80's, or 90's from a buildup of glyphosate, I'll gladly take the extra time.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess you can put me in the short sighted column SDMF. I've never poured a systemic insecticide directly on a deer, moose, elk, or any other game like I have cattle, hogs, and other domesticated livestock which lasts for months within the tissues. I've sprayed hog/poultry housed every week with organophosphate insecticides as well as pyrethroids for tick, louse, and fly control. Cattle pastures have rubbing stations with insecticide soaked rags on them to ensure the cattle have effective levels of insecticide in and on them to keep pests at bay. Modern livestock production uses insecticides directly on slaughter animals repeatedly throughout the production process which is absent in wild game. True, wild game may be exposed to insecticides and other chemicals throughout the year, but it's a small fraction of what domestic livestock is exposed to on a regular basis. In that light, I believe wild game is indeed "cleaner" than domestic livestock.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe wild game is indeed "cleaner" than domestic livestock.

I phrased my statement improperly.

Should have been something more along the lines of if someone believes that their wild-game in the lower 48 is chemical free, they're likely fooling themselves or not being honest with themselves to some degree. Same could be said for chemicals contained within the surface water deer, elk, and antelope most often access vs. well water most often provided for domestic livestock.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
The mode of action for glyphosate is through the inhibition of a specific enzyme. Since mammals lack that specific enzyme, the argument is that we don’t need to sweat it. However, that enzyme inhibitor does affect higher plants, bacteria, and fungi. It has been shown to disrupt the normal activity of good bacteria in our mammalian guts. Long story short, KDM has a good point. And so does SDMF. But when you get right down to it, Wags is still a dirtball and everyone could benefit from more wild game and fewer Cheetos

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
been wondering when killing the crops with roundup would start showing up.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I phrased my statement improperly.

Should have been something more along the lines of if someone believes that their wild-game in the lower 48 is chemical free, they're likely fooling themselves or not being honest with themselves to some degree. Same could be said for chemicals contained within the surface water deer, elk, and antelope most often access vs. well water most often provided for domestic livestock.

True statement!!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with Allen. If there are green heads in a field....swath it. Trouble with canola is swathing bunches and it takes forever to dry in a wind row. Canola also doesn't mature at the same time. Over ripe pods shelling out and in the same field green pods. So they spray with roundup or use nice words like desiccate.

Farmers are supposed to wait 10 days to two weeks before harvest after desiccating with roundup. Some don't. That's bad. Bobby Flay on his television series, Barbecue Addiction promotes Canola Oil all the time. I don't use the stuff.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would you eat this thing?

37230127_1139432769546898_9112371957164146688_o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

They had to remove the antlers for the health of the deer.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
The mode of action for glyphosate is through the inhibition of a specific enzyme. Since mammals lack that specific enzyme, the argument is that we don’t need to sweat it. However, that enzyme inhibitor does affect higher plants, bacteria, and fungi. It has been shown to disrupt the normal activity of good bacteria in our mammalian guts. Long story short, KDM has a good point. And so does SDMF. But when you get right down to it, Wags is still a dirtball and everyone could benefit from more wild game and fewer Cheetos

true statement right there.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Who do you believe? Wasn't it not long ago that the World Health Organization declared that glyphosate did not cause cancer? I do believe that we eat to much processed food but that is our choice. None of it is forced on us. By the list of foods that supposedly contained glyphosate it appears that there is a reason I rarely eat cereal.

Do prefer fresh veggies and wild game but rarely pass up a good ribeye or anything with bacon.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
That depends who you ask.
When roundup first came out I remember talking to someone who had been to a seminar and the speaker said it's safe enough to drink. I looked for that statement thinking it would be hard to find , I found by this in the first link and quit looking. I'm not totally convinced that roundup caused the cancer in these lawsuits but evidently the judge and jury was.

https://nwedible.com/monsanto-roundup-cocktail/

[FONT=&quot]“you can drink a whole quart of it and it won’t hurt you,” moore claimed in an interview with french television station canal+.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“you want to drink some? we have some here,” asked the reporter.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“i’d be happy to, actually,” moore replied, before backtracking. “not really. but i know it wouldn’t hurt me.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“if you say so, i have some,” the interviewer pressed, offering moore a glass.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“i’m not stupid,” moore said, refusing to drink the glyphosphate-based herbicide or continue the interview.[/FONT]​

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
From Davey's link:

Called GlyFunSpace, this 21-and-over corporate campus addition will serve a full line of custom mixed drinks, all featuring the highest quality organic and locally sourced ingredients, small-batch premium spirits and RoundUp full spectrum herbicide.

Umm, what?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of water contamination , When we were first married we fished Devils Lake quite a bit until my wife got pregnant and we started raising babies. There was a public service announcement saying we should be aware that pregnant women and young children should limit intake of Devils Lake fish because of high mercury content.

- - - Updated - - -

"The biotech giant says it can prove RoundUp is safe – and is encouraging employees to enjoy it in cocktails at the new Monsanto bar."

Their only choice is to fight this to the bitter end because they have set themselves up for an ass kicking in their advertising scheme .

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't worry Davey, the mercury in DL is au-natural. You only need concern yourself with mercury when it's put there by human activities. :::

Damn shale up there is loaded with the stuff. As it weathers the mercury gets transported into DL, and eventually only leaves the DL basin as we haul our catch home. The reality is that only the Missouri River system had few to no significant concerns on mercury back when the NDGF and/or ND Dept of Health took the time to split the hairs between the different bodies of water. I wasn't a fan when they generic'd the hell out of the health advisory, then again...I wasn't asked.

Some of the worst out there are our little prairie lakes that have no outlets. Those fish can be used as thermometers.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG said : "I was on my fourth different cholesterol medicine trying to find one that didn't give me side affects"

PG Stay tuned, Medicine and FDA is worthy of a topic all its own. If it's raining/snowing in the morning I'll share a couple crazy stories of something I recently experienced while on drugs.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 42