Who makes the best Sausage

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
We do our own. 32 years of the same recipe and I'm ready for a change. Might have to take a trip to Kraut central (napoleon/wishek/strasburg)

Do NOT forget Forbes. We made the run to Wishek a couple years ago and then to Forbes. The sweet young lady in Forbes told us any of the Forbes would be way better.

Okay now I am showing my age and senility as we had both and they were not labeled just in white paper. Got the bags mixed up on the way home so I don't know which was the best.;:;banghead
Call me a Lame Ass!

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
The hunters mix from valley custom meats in minot is excellent. Perhaps the best I've ever had. I plan on making my own this year though. They also sell bags of all the different seasonings they offer as sausage so this year I will be making my own sausage.

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wishek and Napoleon are really good, I don't know if I can say one is better than the other. I really like napoleons fry sausage

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone know of a place that will make patties and vac seal them? Edgeley Meats used to do that but they're no longer in Business. :(

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jigaman: Thx for the reply. Your right, Hick Hut did my wife's moose, and made some up as maple brkfast sausage---absolutely amazing.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I make my own. Most of my seasonings come from http://www.owensbbq.com/index.html
Mossy Mo and his wife run it. Amazing people, great seasonings and other products. I won't buy my stuff anywhere else.
And 2 thumbs up for Langdon Locker pork sausage and hickory hut goodies

Last edited:

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like Meyers meats east of parshall I've had everything done there pigs beef deer I like their sausage and jerky

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also make my own. Use North Country seasoning and cold smoke it in the Bradly for an hour and forty minuets then shrink wrap it, then into the freezer.

GSP

Founding Member
Founding Member
I make my own as well. Wishek is good, but a bit bland in my opinion. My favorite is hunters sausage from valley meats in Minot. Its too hot for my family, so I use a sifter and take out the red pepper flakes. Perfect blend in my opinion, and the lady at Valley Meats is great to work with!

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Pochant clan and their friends in Coleharbor.

They pay great attention to detail for what goes in the grinder. Never a gross surprise nugget of gnarliness.

This is where I go to make mine every year! Been friends with them for 17 years and have gotten in on some of their deer drives a time or two as well. Good people and better family to know! Heith was in my wedding in 2004 and we still talk quite often. It's nice he used to be a goose hunting guide n knows his shit! Good times always had when at there place!

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
All these outdoorsman on this site I'm really surprised how big of a lost art making your own sausage and summer sausage is becoming I have my grandpas recipe from who know how long ago that i still think is best but still buy some of the pre made mixes and add my own seasonings to make it taste right to me but imo myself and whoever else still makes and smokes thier own will blow anything from any locker plant put of the water

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The old timers would get us kids going in a contest to see who could crank the grinder the fastest, When we were played out we went to the back of the line to rest up for the next turn.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any Swedes here that make potatiskorv sausage ?

My mom always just called it korv, but if were talking the same thing. Yes, we make it every Christams and lots of glug to wash it down!

- - - Updated - - -

And I'll second Owens bbq! I've been using there jerkey, bacon and sausage kits on my deer the last couple years and havnt found one I didn't like yet.

The Philly cheessteak is different but the kids devour it. They call it Mac and cheese sausage because that's what they think it tastes like.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Potato Korv, simple recipe to make, good stuff, made this since I was a kid in Grandma's basement, now we call it just potato sausage, also make a jerky in the dehydrator now from a recipe I've had since a kid, use to use a frig smoker, then a oven with a pilot light and now the dehydrator

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
we still got the equipment to make our own and i make small batches of ground only from time to time. but, with so few friends and family shooting a deer each year, it becomes more hassle than its worth these days to actually process them like we used to. i can take a whole deer or two (or what's left of them after i make muscle jerky, keep a few roasts, keep the loins and backstraps and maybe grind a bit at home with the kitchenmaid) and our fowl in and have it made into 2, 3 or possibly 4 different things for about $4/pound processed. that's vacuum sealed, labeled, etc... my time and keeping my wife sane has a price on it. processing, smoking packaging is inevitably setting aside at least a whole day. add the cost of pork or beef, seasoning, bags, a good vacuum sealer, my time, keeping the wife happy and trying to find a time that works for friends and/or family to make it actually enjoyable and its a no brainer for me these days. i let someone else deal with it at this stage in my life.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31