Wolf Shot near Edinburg

littlefish

Founding Member
Founding Member
someone driving by thought it was a coyote, shot it and left. then some younger fellow walked out there saw it was a wolf and called the warden.

- - - Updated - - -

i know a cattlefarmer on a big coule in the area has had a trapper removing wolves

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Unfortunately, if this is true, this accident can become a federal offense. If the animal was full grown it should've been easy to tell the difference. I think the problems occur when you're in an area where you don't even think of a wolf when you are used to seeing coyotes. If you're in an area where both live I think "you may mistake a coyote for a wolf, but you will never mistake a wolf for a coyote."

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard it was harassing cattle anyways. ;)

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately, if this is true, this accident can become a federal offense. If the animal was full grown it should've been easy to tell the difference. I think the problems occur when you're in an area where you don't even think of a wolf when you are used to seeing coyotes. If you're in an area where both live I think "you may mistake a coyote for a wolf, but you will never mistake a wolf for a coyote."[/QUOt

Grew up north of Mountain. Never seen any back then. However saw one a few years ago between Edinburg and Mountain.
So there are a few around.

Marksman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The state says there are none in the state so how can you be charged

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Because it's a federal matter and the state doesn't actually state that anywhere.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
22142083.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Because it's a federal matter and the state doesn't actually state that anywhere.

I believe what I have heard them say in the past is that we get transient wolves and we don't have an established pack. Oddly, they seem to be kind of like bears in that they only come here to die.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The game fish doesn't say they are never here just that there is no know resident pack. Now I've heard about a pack here and there but never see much in the way of actual proof especially when put up against mountain lions who are far better at ghosting through an area compared to wolves.

https://gf.nd.gov/wildlife/id/carnivores/wolf

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe what I have heard them say in the past is that we get transient wolves and we don't have an established pack. Oddly, they seem to be kind of like bears in that they only come here to die.
That is different than what marksman said.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing new. Packs often travel down from Manitoba along the Souris/Mouse River. I had three on my farm back in'09.P1000395.jpg

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did a deputy sheriff have it propped up in his front seat this time?

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
a couple years ago, I was hunting NE of Adams and had a canine running along a coulie.... Thought is was one hell of a big coyote. Later a couple farmers were telling me they had been seeing wolfs. Along the Pembina Gorge there easily be enough to sustain a pack: elk, moose, whitetail all live in this area.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think the tell-tale sign would be hearing them at night. they are pretty vocal animals from what i understand. and a fella can't mistake the howl of a wolf for anything else.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think the tell-tale sign would be hearing them at night. they are pretty vocal animals from what i understand. and a fella can't mistake the howl of a wolf for anything else.

Yup, If you ever hear one there will be no wondering what you just heard.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

State also says this in the Furbearers Proclamation under "General Guidelines":

• The season for Canada lynx, gray wolf, swift/kit fox, black bear, wolverine, American marten and river otter shall remain closed.
  • Any furbearer taken for which the season is closed, or other protected species incidentally taken, must be reported within 12 hours and turned over to the Department.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55