Does velvet make a smaller buck better than a larger buck????

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had a few discussions on shooting velvet bucks and the topic of velvet adding or subtracting from trophy quality always seems to come up. I myself have never shot a velvet buck, so given the choice between a 120's velvet deer and a 140's hard horned deer, I'd draw down on the velvet buck. Once I have a velvet buck, I might feel a bit different, but that is how it is now. Which deer would you guys take??? The 120 velvet or the 140 hard horned??

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure about better but if a guy had a collection of mounts in his man cave I would think a velvet buck would become a priority to add to the collection. At least I would think that would be a great addition to any collection. Regardless, every kill is special in it's own way.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
It to have never shot a velvet buck, so I would definatly take one given a opertunity! I'd be more worried about finishing earlly than size:(. I really enjoy spending my time in the blind. The last two years I've passed on bucks earlly because I wasn't ready to be done, only to end up shooting a smaller one.

Mr Nice

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's easy the 140 as I already have a 140s velvet.
Oh wait how did that happen as I thought I was afraid to shoot a deer with my bow:;:huh

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
140 hard horned. velvet isnt fun to deal with. i dont see the draw

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's easy the 140 as I already have a 140s velvet.
Oh wait how did that happen as I thought I was afraid to shoot a deer with my bow:;:huh

Is that the road kill you picked up a few years back???

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never want to end my season that early, so I won't shoot one in velvet unless it's a deer that I'm after. If you do plan on going after a velvet buck, make sure you're aware of the care that is required to keep the velvet looking good. Nothing worse than shooting a nice velvet deer only to have it tear, rub off, or die because of improper care. My gf shot a great velvet buck on opener last year....5 months pregnant even...

jodybuck.jpg

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would shoot the 140. I passed on 120 in velvet last year knowing that there was some bigger ones. Only to not shoot one at all.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 mule deer mounted. A velvet 150 4x5 and a hard horned 176 6x6 with a 28" inside spread. When ever people start talking about my mounts they always gravitate towards, and ask questions about the velvet deer. BUT, since I already have one on tthe wall I would shoot the 140 whitetail.

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to have a 170+ whitetail invelvet on the wall though!

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
i for sure want a velvet buck for my trophy room 120 in velvet... maybe if he was a 4x4 haha (says that guy that ends up shooting something around 120 late season anyway....) last year if you guys followed my post on FBO i hit a pretty nice 5x5 in full velvet opening day and never found him(shot was just up above the lungs...) and really ruined my early season for me as i didnt want to sit in a tree stand but 3-4 weeks later he showed up on trail cameras and looked healthy when snow started to show up (monkey off my back) but i really do want to get it done on a velvet buck this fall, that would be awesome!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Horns are the size that they are.
Truer words hath ne'r been spoken.

I want a "battle ready" buck, thick, horny and hard-horned. Never have understood the appeal of skinny velvet bucks.

sd fisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being as I have don't have a velvet buck on the wall, I think i'd go with the velvet.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess it would depend on a few different things but in certain circumstances, I wouldn't turn down the opportunity at a full velvet buck like that.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had to have a velvet so shot a 110 30 years ago. Two years later shot a 135 in velvet. I forgot what I was doing and grabbed an antler to pull him under the fence. There I stood with most of the velvet from one side in my hand. Not happy.

The little 110 is still a trophy to me. Not because of the velvet, but because I belly crawled 150 yards in a severely overgrazed pasture with only an 18 inch bush between me and his eyes.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88