Early season scouting

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious if anyone has any trail cameras out yet?
This weekend I hope to get my corn plot seeded and possibly refresh some mineral sites and get a couple trail cameras going.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the exact same place. Food plots get planted on Mon/Tues next week. Trail cams will go up Tuesday night.

Now you got me itching to bow hunt and we still have 4 months to go!!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I kinda don't know where I'm hunting this year. We have our typical land where we'll go on weekdays I'm sure but I know we're going to be in the badlands a couple times. Not sure where the cameras are going.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to plant a bunch of willows, pines, and fruit trees on my hunting land. It's pretty tough for me to plant a food plot when I have corn, soybeans, and small grains on all 4 sides of my property so I focus on thick winter cover and fruit I can eat myself if I want to. My camera won't go up until a couple of weeks before I start hunting. I'm building a permenant ground blind that will have a heater, so the youngsters as well as us geriatric guys won't have to freeze to death while deer hunting. Those summer projects are sure piling up.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to plant a bunch of willows, pines, and fruit trees on my hunting land. It's pretty tough for me to plant a food plot when I have corn, soybeans, and small grains on all 4 sides of my property so I focus on thick winter cover and fruit I can eat myself if I want to. My camera won't go up until a couple of weeks before I start hunting. I'm building a permenant ground blind that will have a heater, so the youngsters as well as us geriatric guys won't have to freeze to death while deer hunting. Those summer projects are sure piling up.

KDM, plant what the neighbors don't have as deer LOVE variety. If you are surrounded by row crops I would focus on planting something that will be green and tender this fall via delayed planting : brassicas, rye, winter wheat, oats, peas and so on... The deer will flock to the fresh greens while all the row crops are drying down.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
DM, what is taproot planting? I am unfamiliar with that term.

Buck, I'm thinking of planting a blob of turnips on the place, just to see what happens. Good idea or Bad??

Thanks Guys!!

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM, plant what the neighbors don't have as deer LOVE variety. If you are surrounded by row crops I would focus on planting something that will be green and tender this fall via delayed planting : brassicas, rye, winter wheat, oats, peas and so on... The deer will flock to the fresh greens while all the row crops are drying down.

I am in the same boat at KDM. I am going to plant a 1 acre area of brassicas by each deer stand this year. I cant wait to see how putting out a salad bar works out.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
haven't started yet but am thinking about putting cameras up soon. I like seeing the bucks and the little ones grow as the summer goes on.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Haven't done any plots work. But will get cams up in July'ish. I almost enjoy the prep work as much as the hunt.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
haven't started yet but am thinking about putting cameras up soon. I like seeing the bucks and the little ones grow as the summer goes on.

Those little fawns are so damn cute a guy wonders how they ever get to be so good tasting.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can give sugarbeets a shot as well, but seed is pretty expensive. We'll have to see what I can find. Maybe I'll just plant some soybeans late so they stay green during the fall. IDK, I'll keep watching this thread and pick up any ideas or thoughts as it goes along.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM, if cost is a problem I would check on field peas, winter wheat and canola. A guy could maybe find some bin run seed.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can give sugarbeets a shot as well, but seed is pretty expensive. We'll have to see what I can find. Maybe I'll just plant some soybeans late so they stay green during the fall. IDK, I'll keep watching this thread and pick up any ideas or thoughts as it goes along.

You know how deer love to get into a garden. I bought a variety of garden seeds at walmart. Going to plant a perimeter around my brassicas of squash, radishes, carrots...etc. Pretty cheap.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can do just about anything I want. You guys are giving me too many options. Never thought of canola. Might be a good deal as nobody plants that in my area and it might totally crap out with the soil types I have. With the standard crops of corn, soybeans, and small grains being planted around me, I might just have to put all the options in a hat and draw 3 of them out, go with it, and see what happens. The worst it could be is not work. At which point the pickup load of corn would have to take over....LOL!! Thanks guys for the posts. It gets a guy thinkin' anyway.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Turnips is a good idea. When that is green and leafy in November it's like cocaine. Mix in canola too.

Plant a huge pumpkin patch. Deer love pumpkins.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did the pumpkin thing, but unless I smashed them open, they just laid there until spring and rotted. I suppose I could plant them and do the pumpkin smash dance with the truck. (Grin) Hell, I might just grind up the ground and plant whatever I can get my hands on. T'would be one hell of a whacked out food plot. What's the worst that could happen?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to buy a gravity box, fill it with cracked corn and pull it to WI. When I find a good section of likely looking road I'll open the door on the box and lay down a line of bait. I'll need someone in a 2nd rig to protect the other end of the corn row, anyone wanna go with?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 170
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 131
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80