Beaver bay ice not long for this world

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went down to beaver this morning and the ice is deteriorating rapidly. The surface water has sunk through and we are definitely getting into the honeycomb stage. The guys in the main group in these pics say its over 20 inches out there. The guy close up I'm not sure is either ultra ballsy or a complete idiot! Seemed like a nice guy though.... Kind of freaked us out when he left where is in this pics and walked half way to the edge to talk to us. He apparently was on 3 to 4 inches and yes that is an open spot in the ice he is fishing in. We tried under the bridge for awhile but had no bites so left after an hour and a half. The forcast looks like there may be a bit of a cool down so maybe we can scratch out another weekend yet on oahe. To the boys out east this is why us western guys were getting nervous about our ice by the end of Jan! At this point the ice is more like the end of March ice instead of mid February ice.
Screenshot_2016-02-20-12-04-39.jpg

IMG_20160220_100727206.jpg

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This post may save a few lives. At a minimum it will save a lot of gas money for those who thought about driving down there.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that a couple of vehicles out there? For dumb
Yeah those would be trucks. There was a half dozen or more out there. Most appeared to be coming on at the spawning shack. Not sure about the ice over there but could see they were making a big splash when they drove on. The lake is rising and it's causing some buckling near shore which is allowing some water to come to the top.

- - - Updated - - -

This post may save a few lives. At a minimum it will save a lot of gas money for those who thought about driving down there.
Well shore fishing is always an option.:;:cheers The guy we talked to said his group had 2 crappies 2 perch and a walleye so at least a few fish were biting.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think many don't realize that there are people who have to put THEiR own life on the line should something happen out on the ice. Accidents happen. No ice is ever safe, but with the mild winter and warm temps with wind, there is no reason people should be driving on ice in central North Dakota right now. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The shore ice was pretty sketchy last sat especially along the causeway. A lot of it was due to the lake rising and the ice buckling along the shore. Just looked and she's up three to four inches from when I was last there. Take that with Temps in the 60's today and tomorrow and mother nature isn't doing the ice any favors!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice little sunrise out there today. Bite was slow but the weather was nice.

Screenshot_2016-02-27-12-23-27.jpg

jtl1985

Founding Member
Founding Member
any news on the ice at beaver? shoreline especially? i know it was opening up on the east side by the south ramp last weekend. how is the north side for walking on?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82