Down Imaging

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
How long has DI been available and do many have it and use it a lot ? I am still getting used to it but I sure like what it does.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you see fish with down imagining as well as you can with a regular graph?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think everything shows up better , Especially obstacles/trees/snags/weeds.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree with Davey, A large vertical blob on the graph turns into weeds or a tree with DI or sometimes baitfish. It separates those tiny fish and affirms its a ball of bait or something else. Went over some weeds the other day according to the DI but the graph was a bunch of mumbo jumbo. Right beside the weeds I saw 3 hooks visible on the graph mode and also visible as separate suspended fish 2 feet off bottom on DI. Crank went over them and fish on.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been thinking of trying structure scan and came across an oppurtunity to buy something , so tell me if this is a good deal. I can get a 2 yr old hds 9 touch, structure scan transducer, insight chip, and everything that comes with it when new for $1250.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been thinking of trying structure scan and came across an oppurtunity to buy something , so tell me if this is a good deal. I can get a 2 yr old hds 9 touch, structure scan transducer, insight chip, and everything that comes with it when new for $1250.

That's not a bad price, but I would look at what you can get a new HDS9 Gen 3 for, to compare. Some Lowrance rebates just ended so its probably not the best time to buy new.

Do you know the owner of the used unit? These are expensive electronics that don't always have the best reliability. I like taking advantage of used stuff to save money, but always a bit hesitant with electronics. They can crap out at anytime. So I put some value on warranty.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, what he said ^. Depending on how you look at it that price might be good or it might be just OK. I got a brand new HDS9 Gen2 Touch in February for $950, so adding $300 for the structure scan transducer puts it at the same $1250. Unfortunately I don't think any retailers, online or brick & mortar, have new Gen2 9's anymore. I got that one right at the tail end of availability.

Before the Gen3 models were released a Gen2 9 was selling for $2000+, so when you look at it that way the $1250 isn't too bad.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm running a Humminbird Helix and I am still learning the DI function. It is nice as other have said to show trees & baitfish that would otherwise show up as a blob. It also helps to show fish sizes in comparison to your sonar marks. Pretty incredible at times. But, there are also times where I feel the sonar is better. Fish glued to the bottom, etc. are much more visible on the standard screen. I need another year to learn and experiment with both.

dodgeguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
When setup correctly, the down imaging is light years ahead of sonar!

Yea but what is the correct set up. I've watched tons of videos and I still can't see where it's so great. Don't know where I'm going wrong but all I ever see on mine is the contour of the bottom never see trees let alone fish. I have the 1198.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
No way I would buy one anymore without CHIRP. I have a one year old Elite-7 HDI with downscan and bought a cheap Elite 5x CHIRP this spring (no GPS) just for a depth finder on the counsel. I usually sit on the bow with the 7 and the trolling motor but the 5 with CHIRP is so much superior to the 7 that even with the smaller screen I prefer to sit at the counsel and watch the 5. With the same settings the 5 shows much more detail than the 7. I would definitely save up my nickles and get something with CHIRP. Kinda now wish I would have gotten a 5 with GPS but the 5x deal was too good to pass up. Brand new, with HDI transducer I got it from Cabela's for $199 then got a Lowrance $50 rebate. $150 for a brand new (not refurbished) CHIRP unit was the best deal I've ever seen.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not the best example for a comparison but In flooded timber DI turned what used to look like a big mess of junk that I stayed away from into pockets of clear areas to catch fish. With a good image and a little practice I got better at lifting over the timber and dropping back down into the pockets without getting snags.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea but what is the correct set up. I've watched tons of videos and I still can't see where it's so great. Don't know where I'm going wrong but all I ever see on mine is the contour of the bottom never see trees let alone fish. I have the 1198.

I have gotten my DI setup OK, can certainly see trees and bait. But I still struggle a bit with my Humminbird sonar setup. I have an old Humminbrid 717 and it shows fish better at times than my Helix. I have not figured out how to setup my range and sensitivity to accurately show fish. Sometimes it is too much and the next is not enough.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not the best example for a comparison but In flooded timber DI turned what used to look like a big mess of junk that I stayed away from into pockets of clear areas to catch fish. With a good image and a little practice I got better at lifting over the timber and dropping back down into the pockets without getting snags.

well this is quite telling. I'm still not going to drop that kind of dough in fishing stuff. But now I know what I'm missing.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
well this is quite telling. I'm still not going to drop that kind of dough in fishing stuff. But now I know what I'm missing.

I'd have to look to see exactly what I paid for it but I think it was under $ 300 delivered to my doorstep.

- - - Updated - - -

I have gotten my DI setup OK, can certainly see trees and bait. But I still struggle a bit with my Humminbird sonar setup. I have an old Humminbrid 717 and it shows fish better at times than my Helix. I have not figured out how to setup my range and sensitivity to accurately show fish. Sometimes it is too much and the next is not enough.

Same here , Not sure if ii's suspended algae and muck in the water or plankton and FW shrimp or what it is, Some days and some areas it's hard to get a good zoom on the bottom . I run my range on auto and feather the sensitivity as needed.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mMAp6z2RJk

- - - Updated - - -

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
DI works great, awesome in the tailrace, many sonar will show all the air bubbles and hard to see fish in the mess, DI shows exactly the seams the fish are laying in

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 176
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84