Foxtail barley seeds

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone ever have any issues with foxtail barley seeds causing a problem with your dogs? Starting about 2 blocks west of me there are some vacant lots that are just a mat of foxtail barely, and with the strong westerly winds the seeds are piling up all over the place. My back yard had quite a few in, and the wife has been reading the horror stories on her face book about them and dogs. She is becoming a pain in the ass worrying about this.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Foxtails and Your Dog: Risks and Symptoms

Foxtails travel. Moving relentlessly forward, never back, they can migrate from inside your dog's nose to its brain. They can dig through skin or be inhaled into -- and then perforate -- a lung.
Embedded foxtails can cause discharge, abscesses, swelling, pain, and death. If your dog is displaying any of the following symptoms, check for foxtails or talk to your vet:

• Feet. Foxtails love your dog's feet and can easily become embedded between tender toes. Check for foxtails if you notice swelling or limping or if your dog is constantly licking the area.
  • Ears. If your pooch is shaking his head, tilting it to the side, or scratching incessantly at an ear, this could be the sign of a foxtail -- one that may be so deep inside the ear canal you can't see it. Your veterinarian needs to take a look using a special scope.
  • Eyes . Redness, discharge, swelling, squinting, and pawing all may be signs your dog has a foxtail lodged in its eye. If you think this may be the case, seek veterinary care immediately.
  • Nose. If you see discharge from the nose, or if your dog is sneezing frequently and intensely, there may be a foxtail lodged in a nasal passage.
  • Genitals. Foxtails can find their way into these areas, too. So if you notice your dog persistently licking at its genitals, foxtails could be the cause.

Tips for Preventing Foxtail Problems
    Any dog can get foxtails in the ears, nose, eyes, or mouth. But dogs with long ears and curly hair can be especially prone to foxtail problems. Prevent issues by:
    • Examining your pet's coat during foxtail season -- generally May through December -- especially if you've gone walking in open fields. Brush your dog as necessary, looking especially closely for pointy foxtail awns in your dog's thick or feathery fur.
    • Check your pup's face and ears carefully for foxtails. Don't forget to look in and around your pooch's mouth and gums.
    • Carefully check your dog's paw pads for foxtails -- especially between the toes.
    • Use tweezers to remove any foxtails you can easily get to. But if a foxtail is deeply embedded, or if the area around it is red or swollen, call your veterinarian right away. Remember, foxtails won't come out on their own, and they can burrow into the brain, spine, eardrums, lungs -- actually, anywhere.
    The easiest way to prevent foxtail problems is to keep your dog out of overgrown, grassy areas. You should also pull out any foxtail plants you find in your yard. Also consider trimming your dog's hair during foxtail season, especially if it tends to persistently get foxtails in one spot.

Last edited:

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, had a buddy come up during pheasant season and halfway through the week we were walking a slough with foxtail around it. She must have got some in her nose because she wouldn't quit sneezing and she basically stopped hunting. It pretty much shut her down the rest of the trip. I didn't know it was this serious though. We've had dogs go through foxtail daily during season for years. Never have had any issues with other dogs. To avoid it you'd pretty much have to not hunt the dogs though and leave them inside. That stuff is everywhere.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy I know has a dog that needed a vet visit two days ago because of them, I guess she was having a really tough time breathing. I had no idea until he put something on facebook

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
kids dog was taken to vet yesterday. had a piece of foxtail stuck in it's throat. she was throwing up and scratched her neck raw and swelled up to beat hell

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM needs to mount a destroy mission. As I've said before, I can't believe the minefield this state is for dogs. Hope the pup is better Eye.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The county, or land owner is responsible for the weeds depending on ownership of said land.

Make a few calls, cause as far as I know they cant(the owner of this land) just leave it in this condition.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The county, or land owner is responsible for the weeds depending on ownership of said land.

Make a few calls, cause as far as I know they cant(the owner of this land) just leave it in this condition.

Only noxious weeds are required to be controlled. ND's noxious weeds are Knapweed (spotted, diffuse, and Russian), Purple loosestrife, Saltcedar, Canada Thistle, Musk thistle, Toadflax (dalmation and yellow) and Absinth wormwood.

Foxtail barley has gotten so bad recently because of the increased soil salinity. Problem is, those are next to sloughs and are full of pheasants.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife's boss lives a few blocks from us, she took her shiatsu to the vet today. They put her under, and checked her out. I guess they took quite a few out of its ears, throat, mouth, and nasal passage. ::wowzers::

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's some nasty stuff. I hunt my dogs though it and have never had a problem. I should start going around it.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM needs to mount a destroy mission. As I've said before, I can't believe the minefield this state is for dogs. Hope the pup is better Eye.
she was throwing up blood and just not good middle of last week. vet thought she had an ulcer. they put her on prilosec and pepto bismol. help for a couple days but then went down hill. took her back in and they found the fox tail.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
doing great now. quite the dog. half yellow lab half blue healer or something. great pheasant dog and can swim like man from atlantis. go figure.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 174
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84