Buried wire dog fence

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
well this weekend im going to start the task of putting in a buried wire dog fence, i live in town and do not have a very large yard so i was just going to get the spade and start making my line for buring the dog wire and i will have to rent a concrete saw to go through sidewalk driveway etc.. any and all tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated, i know there are deals for putting on the back of the 4 wheeler to dig but in order for me to get the most area i can for the pooches ill have to be pretty damn close to the curb and it just wont work to use any thing like that, but any useful knowledge and tips would be sweet, how deep do you go etc? certain shovel that works better? any thing would be sweet!
Thanks!

thorson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a wireless fence and wouldn't trade it for the world. Perhaps you could consider that prior to going through all the extra work.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a wireless fence and wouldn't trade it for the world. Perhaps you could consider that prior to going through all the extra work.

THIS! I had a buddy who had a buried wire fence....it worked until it didn't and then was SOL trying to find where the short happened.

Last edited:

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wireless is the only way to go unless you have a large yard and want to give them the most room. I can adjust mine from 5-180ft circle and it travels with me anywhere I go.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
well the whole deal is already bought and im afraid with the way my yard is a circle one is not going to give my dogs very much room unforunately and the neighbors are good people just not dog people so a wire is my only option

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had wired for 16 years now without any issues. If you go that route, use a straight edge spade or even an ice scraper to cut your line in the dirt for the wire. Push it in with a paint stir stick or something similar that can't cut the wire. I went thru the seams already in my driveway so did not need to do any cement cutting. Put your wire somewhere you can remember so when you want to aerate the lawn or dig you can avoid the wire. I originally allowed my dog to go from back of yard to front but reconfigured recently so he could not get to the front cause he was crapping on the driveway. Probably should have just did the back from the jump, no real need to be in front.

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
rent an edger from local hardware store, it will make the trench process easy. I only went 1-2 inches deep. I would just rest on ground if along a fence or run over sidewalk for few months before I would cut concrete make sure all works and works for your dog.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The above post is correct, rent a sidewalk edger and let the dirt fly. That will give you all the depth and channel you need to bury a wire.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did the same as sluggo. I put it in the seem accross my driveway and the used the concrete caulk to cover it.

Tom Schauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I waited for it to rain (did it in the rain) by hand with a hand held lawn edger. The wet ground made it real easy. It was a lot of work but got it done in a few hours. I did buy larger gauge wire and it has worked great for me. I used a little spackle knife when hiding (pushing) the wire into the concrete seams on my driveway.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
oh and for the trench I just pushed the shovel in and pried up a little, then pushed the wire in and walked on it. After the firs rain you couldnt tell where I did it.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used a edger when I did mine 2 months ago. Took about a 45 min to go around my entire yard.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82