Doorbell Cameras

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My new home came the a RING doorbell that has a camera. It wouldn't even ring without internet and we just got our phone and internet Wifi hooked up Tuesday. So I can access my camera from any computer and my phone from anywhere. I was watching my dog on the deck yesterday from work and yelled her name and she didn't know what to think. The view is fantastic and now I just want to go home when I look at my view.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips or tricks to the settings? Not sure how to set it up I just started playing around with it and don't wanna mess anything up as it works pretty good now. I would like it to stay on a little longer when the motion is acitvated.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My only tip is to read every word of the RING contract and be sure you want that device for your home. Have fun and enjoy messing with the dog.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
As of now I have a 30 day trial with RING. I have no contract yet. Yeah my thermostat is a online thing you can talk to also but I've just set the heat to stay warm and havn't messed with it. I don't know if I want devices hooked up to internet where they are "listening" to me. I like the camera and being able to see who's coming up to the house. But I will read every word, If I sign up for anything.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was contemplating this, just to keep an eye on the boy and who he has coming and going on a daily basis. Then I second guess myself, as I would have hated my parents tracking me as a lad, so I am torn.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
We're pretty much on camera with every move we make. If you live in a city, I'd bet you're being filmed almost continually by a camera somewhere. Between all the cameras on houses and vehicles, not to mention some workplaces have them, I'd bet most people are videoed most every minute.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
My only tip is to read every word of the RING contract and be sure you want that device for your home. Have fun and enjoy messing with the dog.
Do u have to have a contract with RING to use them? Can u just use it for the camera, no recording?

325 WSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ours was after the free trial you can still use the camera for free watching in real time but it won't record so you can play it back later. It was $40 a year to continue with the record option

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ring, cloud based security devices and smart speakers CAN and WILL be used to surveil you in your own home. Of course your phone does this also... Im not comfortable with many of those devices.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ours was after the free trial you can still use the camera for free watching in real time but it won't record so you can play it back later. It was $40 a year to continue with the record option
Thanks, this is the information I want. Can you still then speak to someone at your door without paying the $40?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ring, cloud based security devices and smart speakers CAN and WILL be used to surveil you in your own home. Of course your phone does this also... Im not comfortable with many of those devices.
Can you be a little more specific? Do they sell your recordings or have a copyright on them?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you be a little more specific? Do they sell your recordings or have a copyright on them?
I havent read all the terms of service, but essentially my understanding is they OWN this information once it is on their servers and they are ALLOWING you to access it. I know LE has used these devices to surveil people who they have search warrants for, but im not sure if any of these companies allow easier access to information or use it to target you with advertisements (very likely). Essentially when you let these devices into your house, you give up a lot of your privacy. You would have to read the fine print of those little agreements each manufacturer makes you sign, when you are setting up the devices for more specific information. Honestly I wouldnt trust many of these lefty companies to honor those agreements either with our current political/corporate environment.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
what trail cameras are you using? u have them with cell plans so they send u the pics right away? the one thing i wouldnt like is im sure its a little lag between the time it takes the pics and the time it gets to you? The rings look like the cameras are really clear and let u know as soon as it detects motion.
I just use trail camera's for house, garage and shop. Don't want any of those other items can't trust.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought a ring doorbell about a year ago to test out. It's hardwired in and I've used it without and with a subscription. The subscription is nice to go back and see who/what was there if I'm stuck in a meeting when my motion sensor goes off. You can still watch the video and talk in real time without the subscription. I've been out of town one time and had a sketchy looking guy ring my doorbell and I was able to talk to him in real-time and tell him I was upstairs in a meeting all day and unavailable. I did notice last week when it was below zero that the video was pretty blurry.

My doorbell is on a door in my house that I don't really use and it doesn't set off the motion when I leave the house my typical way. So maybe it's gathering data on me, but not too much. Especially considering that me and my wife both carry a computer with a microphone in our pocket at all times. That along with our personal computers, laptops, and i pad laying around.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's crazy Rowdie did you buy a smart home where all the appliances are hooked up to wifi as well?
Only the doorbell and I believe the thermostat. I need to start playing with that as I think you can set in and monitor it from your phone. The other appliances aren't "smart" but I've heard there are smart refrigerators that can order milk and what not when you run out.

I'm just glad they all work. The wife had to get kind of snippy with a guy when the fridge it came with wouldn't get cold. They were tying to make us go through the warranty and the company that makes them warranty SUCKS!! Finally they just traded out a new one from one of the homes they have as they couldn't get the company to do anything either.

Now I pray that none of the other appliances need work as it doesn't look good at having a repairman in the area. Only if you buy the appliance locally will they work on it. And since they bought the appliances in MN where they construct the homes, I'm screwed I guess.?? I just hope and pray they keep working!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84