Predator Calls- Electronic and other questions

ND 41 Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm getting back into some coyote hunting and used my older Johnny Stewart Bloodhound electronic call last Saturday. Not impressed by the on/off switch, which is a covered toggle. The plastic cover over the switch gets tough to push when it gets cold. I could live with that, but the volume is weak and inconsistent from one call to another. I started with the cottontail distress and thought it wasn't working because i couldn't hear it till i got within a couple yards of it. Any recommendations for a good electronic call and a good mouth call? And when using a mouth call, how do you not get busted when they hone right in on you? Thanks in advance for any input.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Electronic: Most guys will say FoxPro <something>, but I like my Primos Alpha Dog. It's not the loudest one out there, but it's well designed and well priced.

Mouth Calls: Anything that says Randy Anderson on it. But knowing how and when to use them is more important than the call itself. -- I guess same goes for the electronic.

Not getting busted: Sit still and have your rifle on them. Put down the call and lip squeak to get them in real close. In most cases, if they are close enough to see you move a bit when you call, you should be shooting instead of calling.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
my advice these days... just get a bluetooth speaker and use your phone if you think the battery will hold up in the cold.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would agree with SupessYourself but definitely learn to mouth call and always have them with, never know when batteries may fail in the cold and mouth calls have never failed me except being out of breath from the walk in. I have mainly only mouth called and actually just bought a Alpha Dogg last summer but the snow and a torn meniscus had stopped me from getting out this year to try the electronic call. Trial and error and try to learn something from every set is all you can do.
dukgnfsn

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
The open reed ones, not as much, but it can happen on really cold days. Just have more than one. Coyotes usually don't mind if you switch sounds as they're on their way in (within reason).

For that matter, temps below zero will zap regular alkaline batteries pretty quickly. You need to run lithium in your electronic on those days.

Last edited:

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have on very cold days but carry many if I have to just move on to another to finish set. Seem to only be a problem on really sold days for me. dukgnfsn

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a foxpro and hand calls. Most depends on the day if I'm by myself I like the foxpro to get the sound away from me. If I have another person with then I'll run hand calls.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
It's possible that has great sound quality, but the remote looks like a POS.
I like how their slogan is a "light year ahead" but their products and website looks like they were built in 1994.

Remote works well.

But I like simple things that work.

Sound quality to me is more important than lights and letters. I don;t go much for frills and bells and whistles that in my experience quit working when it's -30.

They rely largely on word of mouth and some how have stayed in business 35 years

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crit'R Call! Best darn call ever made!

The only thing that makes my Crit'R Call sound better is plugging it into one of my home made horns. 20170227_194331.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82