New Truck Gear

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just upgraded to a newer pickup, Got a 2012 F150 crew cab long box 5.0. I have the dealership putting in a spray in bed liner before I pick it up. I was wondering what you guys always have as must haves in your trucks. I do seat covers, Last truck had Marathon Seat covers and I loved them. Then a good place to keep my binos, rifle, and a 2 piece fishing rod and a small tackle tray goes in my map pocket.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't have much for interior gear requirements. Exterior it is a grill guard and step bars. It was rather humorous watching her crawl into my F250 without step bars. Step bars are a requirement after that episode! I've got a storage area (from factory) under the rear seat that stores some tools/gloves/etc... My hunting gear bag very seldom leaves the truck though.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I live down a gravel road, so I generally hit my rocker panels with a spray in liner.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drive gravel to work every morning. the rocker panels have chrome rocker covers already. i need to wear off these crap tires so i can put a good set of rubbers on it. I have step bars on it already. It seems like ill have plenty of room for a gear bag as bckhntr suggested. It'll fit great right under my daughters car seat lol. I have to be more careful where i put my fishing pole. she has sticky little hands and pulled an ice rod out of the bucket in my old supercab. I looked in the rear view to catch a 1 year old practicing her jigging

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I drive gravel to work every morning. the rocker panels have chrome rocker covers already. i need to wear off these crap tires so i can put a good set of rubbers on it. I have step bars on it already. It seems like ill have plenty of room for a gear bag as bckhntr suggested. It'll fit great right under my daughters car seat lol. I have to be more careful where i put my fishing pole. she has sticky little hands and pulled an ice rod out of the bucket in my old supercab. I looked in the rear view to catch a 1 year old practicing her jigging

haha thats classic

I also require full coverage floor mats. It's just necessary for the things I do, and for my kiddos/tornadoes.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got the stainless rocker panels too but I also did the DIY bed liner underneath the cab to try to help with rock chips. Don't need to do the entire underside though. Mainly the 8" or so from the edge towards the inside. I should crawl under there and see how it is holding up.

Attachments

11792117_132578627081566_5671875663457900644_o.jpg

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Husky or weather tech floor mats are a must...I have had both and have had no complaints...for those that do not have a spray in bed liner Macs carries a chunk of rubber that's groved that works as a great bed liner I think it only runs $50 and is at least 5/8 thick...I went this route because I figured I can always spray over any scratches later

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just upgraded to a newer pickup. I was wondering what you guys always have as must haves in your trucks.

I know this is an older post but I'm sure somebody is still looking at it. ;)

When I get a new to me truck I make sure I have;

A 4 way lug wrench that fits it. I weld a bead on the leg that fits my truck and paint it bright pink so I can feel the correct leg in the dark and see it in the day
A couple of spare lug nuts :cool:
A spare tire with air in it
A 20 ton bottle jack and maybe a Hi-Lift
A 18' pair of 2 or 4 gauge jumper cables
A 2" or 3" 20' snatch strap
20' of 5/16" or 3/8" grade 70 chain with forged hooks
3 or 4 clevises to hook things together
A short shovel to dig me or you out with
Water and a couple of MRE's
First aid kit
and at least 2 3 D cell LED Mag Lights

Last edited:

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
All new vehicles sit so low to the ground. I put a 2" leveling kit in the front of my 2013 f-150 and an add-a-leaf in the rear to make it look a bit more like a pickup. The AAL helps with towing as well so, win win!

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
the first thing i do is make sure its diesel, then I take out the EGR, and convert the exhaust to a straight pipe, then I put a cold air intake in it and a chip. My finish is a middle finger to the EPA and Obama because I have just improved my fuel mileage by 6-8mpg on the highway and 2-3 in town and bonus I have more than doubled the horsepower. oh yeah i also add nerfbars, slip tank, and toyo AT2 tires. I keep my ride height and rim sizes stock because I've found that they usually tow better and it doesn't blow my fuel mileage.

My current truck is a 2010 F-250 6.4L, AFE cold air intake and 4" exhaust, Sinister EGR delete kit, H&S minimax chip (Obama banned it). I have 115k miles on it, I got it new and it has almost always had a chip and I have had very few repairs, Serpentine belt tensioner pully x2, the radiator hoses, and the bearings in the connection between the U joint and front differential (my fault kept the hubs locked in all summer). On paper with the max tune my truck is supposed to put out in the 750hp range. I don't know if it really has that because I never drive it on the max tune, I keep it real around 500hp and I have never dyno'd it.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep tiedown straps, bungee cords, a .40 pistol, tow rope, jumper cables, T.P., baby wipes if a get sticky or have the shits, paper towels, binoculars, ranger finder, knife, flash light, gum, licorice, extra hat, gloves, and socks, first aid kit, small tool chest, knife, 8 oz jigger of whiskey, a jug of water, tire pressure gauge, a bit of cash, small shovel, and many other what if type of supplies. Most of it fits in a truck box I put in the back that is air tight, and water tight.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's a 4X4 and you will be using it in winter, add a long-handled square nosed spade, a handyman jack, some coffee cans filled with sand, a tow strap, and carry your receiver hitch insert so a helpful 4X4 can pull while you spin. When the new pickup fills you with confidence, you will get it stuck. If it has a limited slip differential, you'll get rally stuck.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have so much dog hair in the back seat of my 150 extended cab that I can never sell it.:;:thumbsup

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's a 4X4 and you will be using it in winter, add a long-handled square nosed spade, a handyman jack, some coffee cans filled with sand, a tow strap, and carry your receiver hitch insert so a helpful 4X4 can pull while you spin. When the new pickup fills you with confidence, you will get it stuck. If it has a limited slip differential, you'll get rally stuck.

Limited slip was on last truck. Electronic locking diff this time. I'm really gonna bury her ass one day. But so far so good

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have lockers both front and rear, you'll need a friendly farmer with a 4X4 tractor to rescue you.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I must have a topper! some say they're ugly, I say functional. Lock up everything you have!

I keep 2-25' tow ropes, a set of tools (sockets, wrenches, pliers, duct tape, etc), a small 12v wiring kit, tie down straps, an extra hitch, a couple extra hitch pins, bottle jack, tire iron, small survivor kit, 30' of 5/8 rope, work gloves, insulated gloves, several pairs of sunglasses, a large knife, ball caps, stocking caps. In the winter I will always have my bibs and heavy coat in the back seat.

Oh, i almost forgot about all of the Turdy Point Buck cd's.

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I must have a topper! some say they're ugly, I say functional. Lock up everything you have!

I keep 2-25' tow ropes, a set of tools (sockets, wrenches, pliers, duct tape, etc), a small 12v wiring kit, tie down straps, an extra hitch, a couple extra hitch pins, bottle jack, tire iron, small survivor kit, 30' of 5/8 rope, work gloves, insulated gloves, several pairs of sunglasses, a large knife, ball caps, stocking caps. In the winter I will always have my bibs and heavy coat in the back seat.

Oh, i almost forgot about all of the Turdy Point Buck cd's.

Im in the market for a new to me truck. Im looking for one with a topper but there's not many out there. If I have to buy one with out and then buy a topper how much roughly do they cost, and are there certain ones to avoid

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
$2000-$2500 for a good one.

Leer's back window sucks arse (unless they changed it since last year).

ARE's top tier models use a one piece fiberglass back window frame that covers the 6" wide tailgate tops ("whale-tail") that truck companies use now. I like that wide top being covered because it is covered in moisture/dust/ice/snow most of the time.

With the ARE topper back window opened the dust, ice, snow, or water are lifted up and away with the window - leaving a clean tailgate top to reach over or to lean against.

That said - Bert Truck Equipment in Moorhead is the only local ARE dealer - and they are fairly inept. Do not expect much from these guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Leer makes you stick a fiberglass tailgate top on. This POS design breaks, comes unglued, and generally does nothing to help keep rear access area clean.

My buddy replaced his twice then threw it away. Very unhappy customer.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
We use the Leer brand for most of our work trucks. Mine is a Century. My next one will have the side opening windows as well as the rear. Couldn't tell you cost, my pickup came with one. I would imagine a new fiberglass one is about $1,000. Most of the camper places have them or can order them. I think there is a Radco outlet in fargo, and Finish line is bismarck also has toppers in stock.

- - - Updated - - -

$2000-$2500 for a good one.

Yep you are right, been a while since I looked around!

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always thought if I were to buy a topper it would be one of the steel ones contractors use. Less stylish, a lot more secure, and you can actually add a top rack and carry things up there.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82