Shooting bag/rifle rest?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't say I've ever experienced POI shift via any manner of stand-alone front rest/bag combination. I typically run whatever front rest I'm using roughly under the chamber/recoil lug. Rarely do I run out near the end of the forend. I always ensure that the front sling stud isn't plowing into my front rest during recoil. Lastly, under no circumstances do I shoot with the bbl resting on the front rest, whatever that may be. Bedding runs the gamut from proudly free to tightly clenched with slight upward pressure along the whole channel.

I have seen POI shift via bi-pod as well as the cradle type systems IE. Lead Sled and the like.

I agree with your techniques. For the past two years I shoot everything bipod, simply to practice as I shoot. I actually don't find anything more stable. I will get .2 inch off sod, and have a 1/4 inch lift off hard ground with my Savage 10BA Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor, and a 1/2 inch lift off hard ground with my light barrel Creedmoor. My heavy barrel 308 does not shift. It shifts high low slightly with a suppressor. Very slight, but the light Creedmoor shifts three inches high without the suppressor. One day I am going to hang a one pound weight on the end of the light Creedmoor and see if it's weight or recoil, or both that cause lift or lack of lift. I have many rifles and poor memory so white tape and a short note are on half my scopes.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Svnmag that was a good video. I can't remember the guys name, but a well known bench rest shooter had an article much the same as this video in Shooting Times a couple of years ago. The Ruger American had just come out and he was shooting it in 223. His groups clover leafed with that inexpensive firearm. He really laughed at the idea some people had about a "good cheek weld". He felt nothing destroyed bench rest grade groups faster than pushing your check hard to the stock. It drives me nuts when I see these people who put their hand on top of their scope and press down.

I don't touch my forend when shooting off a bipod. If I stay down around 10 power my target stays in view even with a 300 mag. It bounced out on 16x. If it's out around 1000 yards often on 16x it drops back down and into view before the bullet strike. Sometimes it falls left or right if I don't have the stock in position on my shoulder. My light 300 WSM bucks out of view often.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks PG. It's good to be affirmed one is not really a whackjob.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The caveat is shoot "right" and expect to absorb the kick. Touch off, don't flinch and forcibly maintain an attitude of follow through.

It's amazing how just proper hearing protection improves groups (ALWAYS double with plugs and phones from the bench)--Or one can have a constant singing in the off ear at night like I got from Baby after multiple rds in my teens. She was not the only one who provided me with this company but sure had a large part.

Anyways, I'm sure one could find bulk craft beads to fill bags, save weight/money over AirSoft ammo.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I learned years ago that any rifle with recoil bounces off front sandbags. My 30-06 shot 3" higher at 100 yards off a sandbag than if I hand held it. My 338WinMag differed by 6" at 100 yards.

Shoulder rolled into the pad firmly w/both hands "folded/overlapped" over the pistol grip?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a number of problems with that video on recoil. Look at minute 4:34 where the guy says as you can see the muzzle did not move. From behind and above that muzzle can move a lot and you can not see it. From the side I can see it. If you can see it at all it's lifting. The other thing is the ejection port looks like a short action to me not a 338 Lapua. You can not defy the physics of a 250 gr bullet going 3000 fps. With no suppressor or muzzle brake it's going to move you. Maybe if that shooter weighs 500 lbs and has rocks in his pocket I will believe that's a 338 Lapua. I have shot a 338 Lapua and you better have good eye relief or the scope is going to leave marks. This rifle isn't moving much at all. Lets not confuse recoil management with the fallacy that you can reduce rearward pulse in direct relation to mass and velocity of a projectile.

Edit:
Shoulder rolled into the pad firmly w/both hands "folded/overlapped" over the pistol grip?

Sounds good. I shoot a little different. I contact the butt pad, but not real firm. Just enough that there is no jump that kicks the snot out of me, and slides my bipod forward slightly. My left hand comes up under the very back of the butt and touches my shoulder. I use it to control elevation when not using a butt bag. With a butt bag I am adjusting elevation my squeezing the bag. In prone position I keep my face off the stock. Little to no cheek weld.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a number of problems with that video on recoil. Look at minute 4:34 where the guy says as you can see the muzzle did not move. From behind and above that muzzle can move a lot and you can not see it. From the side I can see it. If you can see it at all it's lifting. The other thing is the ejection port looks like a short action to me not a 338 Lapua. You can not defy the physics of a 250 gr bullet going 3000 fps. With no suppressor or muzzle brake it's going to move you. Maybe if that shooter weighs 500 lbs and has rocks in his pocket I will believe that's a 338 Lapua. I have shot a 338 Lapua and you better have good eye relief or the scope is going to leave marks. This rifle isn't moving much at all. Lets not confuse recoil management with the fallacy that you can reduce rearward pulse in direct relation to mass and velocity of a projectile.

Edit:

Sounds good. I shoot a little different. I contact the butt pad, but not real firm. Just enough that there is no jump that kicks the snot out of me, and slides my bipod forward slightly. My left hand comes up under the very back of the butt and touches my shoulder. I use it to control elevation when not using a butt bag. With a butt bag I am adjusting elevation my squeezing the bag. In prone position I keep my face off the stock. Little to no cheek weld.

First it is not a 338 in that video. The two guys shooting are Jacob bynum and Frank Gali. Jacob runs rifles only a training place in Texas and Frank owns and runs snipershide plus train ups for different orgs along with being a Marine scout sniper. So I think they have a pretty good grasp on things if only for the fact they shoot more in a week than most in a year

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do they live in the Backcountry and expose their asses?

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That was a bit hurtful yet understandable as you've ID'd yourself as Army.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

I don't shoot that way, I'm theorizing Norske's technique.

- - - Updated - - -

First it is not a 338 in that video.

Based on language previous to the video in your post, I also thought the claim was 338 Lapua being shot in the 1st video.

My 19# 7WSM moves exponentially more than does the Lapua in the 2nd video. I let it free-recoil on bags and haven't a brake nor suppressor.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr, wow the heel of that stock is nearly in line with the bore. My Savage 10BA Stealth is much like that. I would guess that's why it has very little rise shooting without the suppressor.
I think I am going to have to purchase a lab radar like they are using in that video.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
An alternative to sand in shooting bags could be bean bag chair filler. I noticed that K Mart sells bags of the stuff, but one bag of it would fill dozens of shooting bags.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use Crosstac shooting bags. Don't know that they're any better than anything else out there but they work fine for me.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
To answer prairie ghost, rifle butt firmly against shoulder because letting a 338WM get a running start is just a little less painful than doing it with a 12ga shotgun. The rifle will shoot high any time the fore end is on a firm surface, but not if even my left hand is between the fore end and the sand bag. The rolled up sleeping bag is easier.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 181
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57