Boat Depreciation

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have never owned a boat before, but am thinking about trying to find a decent used one this "spring". Only caveat is we might be moving 2 years from now.

A lot of factors play in, but in general, could I expect to get most of my money back if I had to sell a boat 2 years after buying it?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes

- - - Updated - - -

(moderately used)

- - - Updated - - -

in fact - the older they get the less they decline

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't buy a brand new one and it won't be a catastrophic loss! Look for something that is 3+ years old and you won't take a big loss on it.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought mine at the beginning of summer for $3500 and sold it in August for $4500. Find a good deal on an older boat and you shouldn't lose much.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good advice on a used one
Keep it nice and it will resale close to what you paid if selling in a couple years.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy a used boat in the fall and when it comes time to sell do it in the spring. Get a good enough deal in the fall and you might be able to make money on it 2-3 springs later. The newer the boat the harder it will be to not lose money. Also Bismarck sucks for good boat deals because everyone is always looking for a good used boat for the river.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't let river fibber run it and keep the motor in tip top shape and you will not lose much, if any.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
as long as you don't buy new you'll be fine if you buy it right in at time of purchase

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you buy it in Minnesota and resell in ND you will make money. For some reason everyone in ND thinks their used boats are worth four grand over book value.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't let river fibber run it and keep the motor in tip top shape and you will not lose much, if any.

Dang Sluggo! Beat me to it!! hahaha... yeah...be sure to use a trailer when towing to different lakes.:cool:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you buy it in Minnesota and resell in ND you will make money. For some reason everyone in ND thinks their used boats are worth four grand over book value.
To be fair book value isn't exactly accurate on boats like it is for vehicles. Boats are more of a "what the market will bear" value.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
book value is the worst way to determine a boats value. It's off the charts unreliable.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't see the deals in the fall like I used to on boats, best prices I have seen the last two years are after the 4th of July - September

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
You dont have to spend alot of money to get a safe,dry, dependable, well taken care of older boat. Less invested, less to lose. There is always that IF factor when buying used. Another thing is your experience in running one. You can de value one at the ramp or dock in a hurry if in bad or windy conditions. But after all it is your money, and situation. For the record, my 21 yr old boat isnt as fast,isnt sparkly, or nice riding as alot out there anymore,but it buffs up nice and it does catch as many or more fish than most. Good luck

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can be very strict about keeping the boat CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, it WILL sell for lots more $$ when/if you need to sell it.

My current boat came off of the Walleye Central Classifieds. Craigslist and BisMan would also be places I'd scour hard.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
book value is the worst way to determine a boats value. It's off the charts unreliable.
True. But a lot of the prices I see people selling their used boats on Bisman for are off the charts rediculous.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 43