Motor break in process

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey guys. I just replaced my 25 horse tiller with an early 90's, new to me Yamaha pro50. Fresh rebuild last year and has yet to be in the water. I know I need to let it idle for so many minutes before I start tooling around some bays on the river. After that, I know you have to watch your rpms and only touch WOT for short bursts. All until 10 hours is reached.

So, any recommendations on oil/gas mixtures, specific times for break in period, etc.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey guys. I just replaced my 25 horse tiller with an early 90's, new to me Yamaha pro50. Fresh rebuild last year and has yet to be in the water. I know I need to let it idle for so many minutes before I start tooling around some bays on the river. After that, I know you have to watch your rpms and only touch WOT for short bursts. All until 10 hours is reached.

So, any recommendations on oil/gas mixtures, specific times for break in period, etc.

I would think if you found a owners manual online for just about any similar aged outboard by Yamaha, it would have the break-in guidelines. I think they want them mixed a little rich on oil if I'm not mistaken. Sorry I'm not much help.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard it's a pretty rich oil/gas mixture as well. Usually for the first tank. I typically run mine 80-1. I've heard 50-1 for the first tank 60-1 for the 2nd tank and then 75-1 until hour ten.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I've heard it's a pretty rich oil/gas mixture as well. Usually for the first tank. I typically run mine 80-1. I've heard 50-1 for the first tank 60-1 for the 2nd tank and then 75-1 until hour ten.

I ran something similar to this on a motor a few years back, and it worked out well. Not sure what other rules there are to follow. Sorry, not much help :(

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76