remember when...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
From horses to landing on Mars in my 70 years. Might be moving a tad fast. Someone is going to make a bad mistake then its back to square one.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Played Ditch, kick the bucket and an actual game called guns where we pretended to shoot each other with toy guns. Boy the liberals would have a hay day watching me grow up

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glass bottled pop like Sunny Sky, etc. Opening up the 4 bbl on the old 460 in the ‘78 Lincoln and letting the cat free straight pipes with glass packs beller in the evening air.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Glass bottled pop like Sunny Sky, etc. Opening up the 4 bbl on the old 460 in the ‘78 Lincoln and letting the cat free straight pipes with glass packs beller in the evening air.

Glass bottled pop was the bomb as was kicking the Holley wide open on the 427 in the Chevelle...

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My 52 Buick Super straight 8, Dynaflow, paid $50, first car at age 12. Well, okay it may not have had a four barrel to open up and it had normal mufflers on it, oh okay it was not a 460 or 427 but it was my first car with hyd lifters that were shot and it maybe only ran for about 15 minutes before the oil got to warm to make the lifters work, but, did I say it was my first car. And by holding the brake it would turn the tires on gravel.

My older brother had a 57 olds with the J-2 motor in it in high school and at the time it was the fastest in the local town. And then my dad's 440 71 Ply VIP with the 375 HP for my younger brother never was beaten.

For me and my 52 it was a treat to get 15 minutes closer to town before I had to let it cool down. It did beat going to town with a horse or walking or on a bike. Those things never did impress the young ladies like my 52 did (or so it seem). But then I got a 56 Buick, then a 57 Mercury with a 312 and a four barrel that for some reason never did open up and finally a 58 Buick super before driving a 65 Ply Sport Fury with a 426 Commando.
It was a great time to grow up in. Women had morals at the time and all I ever heard was no, none of that evil pot. But some could really drink their beer and for those the ideal of getting them drunk first never did work out. In fact I think maybe once or twice they got me home. db

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I knew better than to get into a bb gun fight but I got roped into one by my older cousin and a couple of his buddies that wouldn't quit shooting at me. I snuck around and caught him off guard from behind and poked him in the leg with my bb gun , Still remember the fear in his eyes that he thought I was going to pull the trigger.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone smoked....everywhere. Even your doctor. Cigarette vending machines were as plentiful as candy ones.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I knew better than to get into a bb gun fight but I got roped into one by my older cousin and a couple of his buddies that wouldn't quit shooting at me. I snuck around and caught him off guard from behind and poked him in the leg with my bb gun , Still remember the fear in his eyes that he thought I was going to pull the trigger.

We were building a fort down in the creek in town one time when all of the sudden there was wizzing sounds going past us.
Looked across the opposite bank and the town loadies were shooting ball bearings at us with wrist rockets from behind a large felled cotton wood. Wack my younger brother took a hit to the leg and was screaming in pain. I dove down and grabbed onto my brand new 880 pellet gun! pumped till I couldn't pump it any more like 18 times. She was scoped up and I put it out the fort window and took aim.
I waited until one peeked his head out and all I saw was his face and in a fleet of rage pulled the trigger!
He was flipping and flopping and screaming and while his buddies who were all way older than me tried getting him out of there I put a pointy pellet into their backs and legs as well.
Ran home and the cop was soon knocking. I had to go over and apologize to the kid I shot in the face, he had a big thing of gauze taped to his lower lip. The pellet went through his lip and knocked out his front tooth and was lodged in his lip, they took it out at the clinic.
Man it could have been allot worse.
But one thing was for sure neither them nor any of the other kids in town messed with us any more. ha ha ha

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member

we had white lightning in school in the 70's and 80's... always wondered where that went...

glass bottles that would make slush when you opened them up - awesome...

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Building rafts with old oil barrels and man that was the cat's meow.
Getting running water in the house.
My brother shocking me with the old crank style phone.
Padres Platter on KFYR radio Saturday nights.
Having a toilet in the house.
My Dad making us toast, peanut butter, & banana sandwiches. Miss him and his sandwiches!
The 59 Ford with 3 speed with overdrive. That rascal would fly.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
61 Ford station wagon with a 390 in it used it for hunting, you could burn the tires off her if you wanted to

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
spending hours trying to get bad bearings apart for the steelies... you would never play marbles "for keeps" with those prized possessions... and they were always easy to find in the bottom of your marble bag...

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buying $2 of gas and getting ALL the windows washed, the oil, water and battery checked, the tires checked and depending on the station the car vacuumed, AND at the end "Thank You come again".

Wearing your letter jacket and a tie on game days, my 59 Rambler Cross Country Sedan with the OHV 6, 3 on the tree with overdrive, lay down seats for a double bed, factory curtains inside and a tube radio. I push started that car a lot after parking.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wearing bread bags over my feet as they were shoved into snow boots that couldn't keep the moisture from seeping inside. Rubberbands held the bread bags up between my calves and knee caps. Sweetheart bread was long gone by that point, but only so if the top crust was removed before making a PB&J sammich!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
brokenbackjack
So many memories brought back that I had forgotten about.
My friend drove his fathers 59 Ford 3 speed on the tree with that level under the dash that he would pull for the overdrive.
At the time I was going to find out how that work and never did. Was it in the transmission or like a two speed in the rear end of the farm trucks?
So a memory that I never completed, now we have the internet so I guess I will find out unless jack you can tell me. db

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My friend drove his fathers 59 Ford 3 speed on the tree with that level under the dash that he would pull for the overdrive.
Ya I remember those. I think it was transmission. I run all over with an old Ford tractor that had the overdrive lever on the left side right on the side of the transmission. I could just barely reach it from the drivers seat. In overdrive my dad followed me and it did 22 mph.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 255
  • This month: 216
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72