Need a different pack

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
The kifaru are very nice, but out of my budget. I have a mystery ranch metcalf if you want to try it out.

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have KUIU and know several people that have them. Certainly not the as good as Kifaru or Stone Glacier, but very comparable to Mystery Ranch.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
Kifaru, stone glacier, seek out side, and mystery ranch. I am a Kifaru guy for life. Customer service is amazing. They are expensive 100% made in America and super durable. I come to Bismarck often you want to check it out let me know

^^^This! I love my Kifaru and wouldn't trade it for any other pack I've seen on the market today. It's a pricey pack and frame but I consider it an investment that will last me many years.

I also have an Eberlestock Blue Widow and X2 pack that you are more than welcome to use for the season. I can get it to you or I'm sure Huffranger will be able get it to you after I pick up some halibut from him when he returns home. The Blue Widow has packed a couple of elk so maybe there's still some good luck left in it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked up how much the metcalf was ($525)... and then I couldn't find any Kifaru's near that pricey. What am I missing?

Did you go to kifaru web site? Frame is 320 and bag average 280 ish then you have to have a nalgene holder ,guide lid or Sherman pocket and never leave home with out the gun bearer.

My my house is on fire I am kifaru is coming with or I die trying

- - - Updated - - -

Plus I can call the president of the company any time on his cell and ask questions. He answered on a Saturday from the tree stand once. That is for any one that’s the kind of service that they provide

- - - Updated - - -

https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/sto...keAYnHCaUqegQwD4SbYAiLiHXRjGEVSRoCIgoQAvD_BwE

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a Stone Glacier in ‘15 or ‘16. It handles a load every bit as well as my Eberlestock J107 with about 1/3 the starting weight.

i purposely bought small (1800) to keep myself honest about what I NEEDED inside a day pack.

Lots of good equipment and “correct choices” available from multiple manufacturers.

Last edited:

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked up how much the metcalf was ($525)... and then I couldn't find any Kifaru's near that pricey. What am I missing?

Although used kifaru packs hold their value pretty well, you can still get into one for under $600. An older model frame and a used bag are still covered under their lifetime warranty. I just ordered my 7th bag from them this morning. They are always coming out with something new, and make a variety of bags to suit different needs that are all compatible with their frames (old and new).

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a eberlestock team elk pack. It's a little heavy. I packed my whole deer out last year boned out with cape and horns and my pack was 113lbs.
IMG_1268.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine was bone in but I could barley get that deer in 5500 ci pack the team elk is 3100 did you have any thing else with you.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine was bone in but I could barley get that deer in 5500 ci pack the team elk is 3100 did you have any thing else with you.

Just a hydration bladder ammo and a havalon. The temp plummeted on my walk in so I had my extra jacket on.

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
go to scheels grab a cheap pack and have them throw a 50lb weight in it, then grab the mystery ranch and do the same. your back will thank you for buying an expensive pack.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm still not sure how I drew a badlands tag but I'll take it. My badlands superday will not cut it if I have to pack anything out.

What does everyone have for a top 3 list?
At a minimum I would go with an Eberlestock X2 pack, it is designed to hold game bags/ the head really well. Team elk would be ideal if you are hauling it all out in one trip. Big thing is to have big pockets to support the game bags and many of the cheaper packs just don’t cut it.

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with Kurt...a Kifaru with a gun bearer is the shit.

I have Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Eberlestock, KUIU, and Seek outside for packs. The Kifaru and KUIU get used the most by far.

Also, having a dedicated meat hauler back in the truck works well...

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
350AA6BC-BABC-4865-A93F-0ADB3EDA3389.jpg
I have a kekty coyote. The thing is badass and 1/4 the price of my other packs.

I do a lot of backing into the back country through all the different seasons. (Spring, summer, fall and winter)I like it

it can handle more than I can

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention that’s a couple elk quarters from a bull last fall. It wasn’t light

- - - Updated - - -

E64524BE-E0CB-4CEF-82A9-95CD5C191719.jpg
Or just say screw a backpack and carry the animal Out whole like I did a buddy’s goat. Lol

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right now EXO and Kifaru are the standard, but they are darn spendy. I've used a Kuiu 5200 for the last couple years and have been really happy with it. We packed a bull elk out of a bottom in the badlands last season and I was really happy. Decided to prove how tough i was and took two quarters, a front and back, at once. It was dang heavy, but i didn't hate myself after.

I also pack hike stairs twice/week with 100lbs in it and am really happy with it.

If I lived in the mountains and hunted backcountry all the time, I'd drop the extra, but for a few badlands bow hunts I'm happy with my pack for sure.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a heads up, there is an eberlestock team elk pack on bisman right now for $225. Thats $150 less than the eberlestock lists it for and it looks to be virtually brand new. It is in Voltaire, and if it isn't gone by the time I go on days off I will most likely be picking it up for my wife.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
All of your suggestions have been really helpful. Who knew there were so many damn options. I’m going to try on a few of the packs and see what fits best. I’m going to have a tough time buying top of the line when I won’t use it all that often. I don’t apply or out of state hunts, nor do I slip enough cash to the G&F to get a moose or elk tag.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have seen sales on the Mystery Ranch in the 30-40% range.

Kifaru might have one a year in the 10-15% range if I am remembering right.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have owned Badlands, Eberlystock, and Kuiu before just recently switching to Kifaru. I was looking at Exo but they screwed around way to long releasing their new packs and I started shopping Kifaru and just spend the money. Kifaru is in a class of it's own but you pay for it. Eberlystock could pack some weight but also was heavy. Kuiu seemed ok until you put a heavy load in it. I pack into different states out west every year and when you have to cover that many miles on foot the best pack money can buy is worth it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 58
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19