Electric smoker's...again.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years back we had a lengthy discussion about smokers.

At the time I had a Bradley 4 rack smoker,worked great for years,gave it away when I purchased a pellet grill/smoker...big mistake, these pellet grills are over rated impo.

Started eye Ballin Bradley smokers again, they're new p10 professional smoker has my attention, anyone have one?

Input appreciated.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hope the changed a bunch of things my neighbor and I have put In three different thermostats in our smokers, still have problems, Bradley sent us new stuff free of charge but still a pain. We have both moved on to different style smokers and have been happy

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
PID controllers struggle below freezing. Can't recall where you are, but I have a pellet smoker (Louisiana Grill, vertical) wirh PID control, and basically useless under 40°. Called them when it wouldn't work and was told PID controllers struggle under 50°F. Have used it as low as 40°, but much below that, the control panel is pretty baffled.

I've also realized that around -7°, everything other than a stick-burner isn't going to do it. Pitboss Sportsman 1100 can't handle that cold, and Camp Chef Smoke Vault won't work when your propane tank is frozen. :cautious:

Turned into an oven brisket...

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Snow, I am interested in what you find out also. Sure looks decent. I wonder if you could call Bradley and ask some questions on concerns with the controllers in cold weather? I have an older Bradley smoker and it's been excellent. Controls work when it's real cold. It still runs but I am looking to upgrade and get a bigger one so I can hang a decent amount of ring sausage. I also do summer sausage. I usually end up doing the smoking for our family when we get together and make sausage. I have looked at some of the bigger smokers and they definitely know what they want for those. If you get bigger, a guy has to go to the commercial route. I've been looking for something I can do a DYI on but not finding anything yet.
Fish On!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snow, I am interested in what you find out also. Sure looks decent. I wonder if you could call Bradley and ask some questions on concerns with the controllers in cold weather? I have an older Bradley smoker and it's been excellent. Controls work when it's real cold. It still runs but I am looking to upgrade and get a bigger one so I can hang a decent amount of ring sausage. I also do summer sausage. I usually end up doing the smoking for our family when we get together and make sausage. I have looked at some of the bigger smokers and they definitely know what they want for those. If you get bigger, a guy has to go to the commercial route. I've been looking for something I can do a DYI on but not finding anything yet.
Fish On!
Buddy started with a Bradley 6 rack after I gave my 4 rack the nod,buddy had issues right away with the heating element, after two years he trashed the Bradley, upgraded to pitboss vertical as he likes to hang sausage, he loves his pit boss.

I use my smoker "low and slow",fish,Jerky80% of the time,whole duck worked out great my 4 rack Bradley never had heat above 160 degrees and my smoker had zero problems.

This P10 interest me,leary of new products out of the shout.

Last edited:

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buddy started with a Bradley 6 rack after I gave my 4 rack the nod,buddy had issues right away with the heating element, after two years he trashed the Bradley, upgraded to pitboss vertical as he likes to hang sausage, he loves his pit boss.

I use my smoker "low and slow",fish,Jerry 80% of the time,my 4 rack Bradley never had heat above 160 degrees and my smoker had zero problems.

This P10 interest me,leary of new products out of the shoot.
I've considered the Pitboss vertical. Something a touch bigger would be better yet. Nice to hear good reviews from guys using them for what I want to do.
Guy, I have been in the market for something I can convert to a nice smoker. These stainless insulated food carts would be ideal but I don't have any connections for finding the surplus stuff. I bet you can hang quite a few pounds of sausage in the fridge smoker!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never have any issues with my Bradley, it is however used only for jerky, and pumpkin seeds in October. Ribs, steaks, chicken go on the Traeger

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a 4 rack Bradley and have had no problems. Only complaint is it could be wider, as I have to cut my racks of ribs in half to smoke. Otherwise, I use it for turkey, chicken, jerky, Slim Jim snack sticks, sausage and smoke my Paddlefish. Planning on casing some country style sausage. Been looking for some boneless pork butts.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
The first smoker I had was a Bradley 6 rack, had it for probably 6-8 years then the control box took a poop so I ordered another control box it lasted maybe a year and a half.

Then I ordered this one 2 years ago.
1675391912262.png

The app on the phone takes a little getting used to. When it starts getting cold out, I keep the control box and the wires in the house until I want to smoke something. No issues yet. When I make sausage I make 50 pounds at a time. I can put 25 pounds on the racks at one time.

Only place I was able to find it is on Meatprocessing Products.com.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The first smoker I had was a Bradley 6 rack, had it for probably 6-8 years then the control box took a poop so I ordered another control box it lasted maybe a year and a half.

Then I ordered this one 2 years ago.
1675391912262.png

The app on the phone takes a little getting used to. When it starts getting cold out, I keep the control box and the wires in the house until I want to smoke something. No issues yet. When I make sausage I make 50 pounds at a time. I can put 25 pounds on the racks at one time.

Only place I was able to find it is on Meatprocessing Products.com.
Interesting tk,never seen this model,to big for the little smoking I do.

One or two heating elements? Curious.

Oven could pass for a refrigerator, big sucker.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only 1 heating element. It's the same size as the old 6 rack smoker.
1675432761498.png

As you can see in the above picture it has more places for racks then just the 6 the old one had.
I kept the 6 racks from the old smoker.
The red and green inserts on the front of the control box are for 2 temperature probes.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only 1 heating element. It's the same size as the old 6 rack smoker.
1675432761498.png

As you can see in the above picture it has more places for racks then just the 6 the old one had.
I kept the 6 racks from the old smoker.
The red and green inserts on the front of the control box are for 2 temperature probes.
Would there be a way to modify by taking racks out and using rods across and hanging sausage vertically? Looks like you could get alot more sausage that way, even without overcrowding it. But pictures can be really deceiving.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Masterbuilt elite (6 rack) with Auber PID controller ($150) and mailbox modification. Burn pellets, chips or dust in tube or tray. Has been top notch for jerky, fish, etc. Controller keeps temps within 3-4° have had #50 summer sausage hanging.
About $500 total. My RT kinda takes a back seat to this unit.
20181230_082211.jpg

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, you can remove the racks. In my old smoker, I actually used rods across where the shelves go.

But now I just use the racks to lay the sausage on.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Masterbuilt elite (6 rack) with Auber PID controller ($150) and mailbox modification. Burn pellets, chips or dust in tube or tray. Has been top notch for jerky, fish, etc. Controller keeps temps within 3-4° have had #50 summer sausage hanging.
About $500 total. My RT kinda takes a back seat to this unit.
20181230_082211.jpg
^^^ THAT'S how it's done!

Thin blue smoke for 12 hours if you want it (assuming the mailbox has the amazn tray in it).

The 1940s FrankenFridge uses the smaller "letter" sized mailbox. Runs on same system/principle though. Easy peasy operation.

I bought the three channel Auber controller and mounted the third temp sensor in the smoldering intake tube
2020-09-27 12.48.08.jpg
- so I can tell that the smoke's still being generated.

2020-08-23 18.13.28.png

The blue line is the smoke temp changing as the amazn tray smolders around - occasionally passing just under the smoke outlet tube three times (three peaks)

2020-08-23 12.13.38.jpg
2020-08-18 21.10.49.jpg
2020-08-18 21.12.33.jpg
2020-08-22 16.12.48.jpg

An inline duct fan empties the relatively cool smoke to the outside of my unheated porch
2020-11-29 15.29.19.jpg
. Ha ha.

It's got 14 bungee cords holding it all together in the back. Sorry - no pics of those.
2020-12-02 19.32.19.jpg

I like to know/control what's happening on every butt.

I load the butts and literally never open the door again until the first butt needs to get the foil wrap, toil, cooler (FTC) treatment - 18 hours later. : )

2020-12-03 10.05.44.jpg

Bedwetter thinks the bark is icky - calls my butts dog turd asteroids. Pretty on the mark name. : )

But they literally fall off the bone and they're super juicy. Gotta have bone in!

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, that is a whole lot of hoopla right there. I don't smoke enough stuff for this apparatus, nor do I feel as though I have the desire and skill set. I am a bungee cord rookie.

It is super neat though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76