Cost per SQ FT for building a house

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have lot (land) envy of many other areas. Any lot or chunk of land with any view besides the patio of your backyard neighbors is $130k to $330K in the Bismarck area. It is sad what that kind of money can get you in MN or IA and I am sure many other places.
Yeah part of the problem with Bismarck the last 5 years is lack of lots. Like you said your choices are pretty much high-end unless you want to build in a flood prone field in far South Bismarck. Part of the reason for Mandan's/Lincon's explosion is they actually had reasonable lot prices. Things should be settling down but there still doesn't seem to be much for development of decent lots for under $50,000. And lets not even talk about "specials";:;banghead

Last edited:

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have lot (land) envy of many other areas. Any lot or chunk of land with any view besides the patio of your backyard neighbors is $130k to $330K in the Bismarck area. It is sad what that kind of money can get you in MN or IA and I am sure many other places.

Not necessarily true - this is my backyard view. Yes it is in the city and No, from what I find, no one will be able to build back there. It's supposed to kept as green space. Not to mention the amount of fill that would be needed to be able to build there. No flood plain either.

I certainly didn't pay 130 to 330k for it. Lot size is just under a half acre. If you are talking 2 or more acres, then yes the price you mention would fit.

backyard.jpg

Deer, turkeys, pheasants and coyotes are all present back there and make appearances in the yard.

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not necessarily true - this is my backyard view. Yes it is in the city and No, from what I find, no one will be able to build back there. It's supposed to kept as green space. Not to mention the amount of fill that would be needed to be able to build there. No flood plain either.

I certainly didn't pay 130 to 330k for it. Lot size is just under a half acre. If you are talking 2 or more acres, then yes the price you mention would fit.

face-down-high-res-bad-ideas-up-33.jpg

Deer, turkeys, pheasants and coyotes are all present back there and make appearances in the yard.
I would assume Mandan?

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would assume Mandan?

Yes.

specials do suck though.
ETA - they aren't as high as I was expecting though. When I first looked into this area they didn't know what they would be but gave me a range and they came in quite a bit lower than that range.

Last edited:

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
ya that quote was only for the finished upstairs. this house would be roughly 4500 sq ft when all finished. 2250 up and down. I already have the land for the house. new drainfield installed. new meter socket at the pole...etc...
and it would have a walkout basement too.
Be careful about just going off of per sq ft #'s without further clarifications.

If you are looking at a 2000 sq ft ranch with a finished basement some builders are stating it as $220 per sq ft finished. But that is 2000 sqft up and 2000 sqft finished basement. So you have 4000 actual sq ft finished.

Then you could go look at a 2500 sqft slab home and that builder will state $170 per sq ft. but in that home you only have 2500 sqft finished.

You get into split levels vs ranch vs slab vs walkout basement vs patio vs daylight basement and they all will have items in the inherent design and structure that will change your price per sq ft.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can I drink a beer on your walkout one time a bunch of times??

IndigenousWalleye78

Honored Member
I moved the house I grew up in down to my land in the Devils Lake Area. My father is a contractor and I am a glorified gopher. We gutted it and redid everything. Put it on a wooden basement with radiant heated floors. Altogether, me and the wife have just over 100K into it and it is free and clear. (gotta love menards 11% sales) Just the property tax every year. Lived on a shoestring for the last 4 years, but its finally done.
What did I pay the contractor? (dad) A used wheeler and pretty much any other thing he asks for for the rest of his days.

Attachments

422186_2701643426993_2140346509_n.jpg 12106886_10205327725459330_6306243268441923689_n.jpg 12088518_10205323761280228_3948724722281049658_n.jpg 12107127_10205323759880193_3122362466177843210_n.jpg 12112482_10205327725259325_8095961643180988465_n.jpg
Last edited:

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
a few things make it more expensive to build here... one is compliance with building codes because of our extreme climate... there are lots of things done to our houses here to guard against the temps and weather and the damage they do...

another is the shipping... there is probably nothing that goes into our homes that is manufactured here, aside from the rock and gravel in the concrete... i'd bet shipping costs account for 20% of the build...

because of the weather, labor and the overall skilled workforce is effected... you can only do so much exterior work at a baseline cost, so the labor is pushed up because of our winters... skilled tradesmen have less time to make more money to survive the months when they cannot and should not work outside, and their living expenses are also higher here...

land here is almost exclusively privately owned and has been for generations by people who generally don't want neighbors, don't need the money, and use the land to sustain life as they know it... when new developments are planned, these acres are bought at a higher cost and divided up because of a specific business cycle, and time is of the essence... a big development in nd is 100 acres, and there are no guarantees... in bigger cities where a new interstate circle goes in every few years, huge developments are bought, designed, and built for the next generation...

it is frustrating looking at the building costs around here... but after living where i've lived and doing what i've done, i now understand why it is how it is...

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
a few things make it more expensive to build here... one is compliance with building codes because of our extreme climate... there are lots of things done to our houses here to guard against the temps and weather and the damage they do...

another is the shipping... there is probably nothing that goes into our homes that is manufactured here, aside from the rock and gravel in the concrete... i'd bet shipping costs account for 20% of the build...

because of the weather, labor and the overall skilled workforce is effected... you can only do so much exterior work at a baseline cost, so the labor is pushed up because of our winters... skilled tradesmen have less time to make more money to survive the months when they cannot and should not work outside, and their living expenses are also higher here...

land here is almost exclusively privately owned and has been for generations by people who generally don't want neighbors, don't need the money, and use the land to sustain life as they know it... when new developments are planned, these acres are bought at a higher cost and divided up because of a specific business cycle, and time is of the essence... a big development in nd is 100 acres, and there are no guarantees... in bigger cities where a new interstate circle goes in every few years, huge developments are bought, designed, and built for the next generation...

it is frustrating looking at the building costs around here... but after living where i've lived and doing what i've done, i now understand why it is how it is...

anyone know how we compare to our neighbors on this (mn, sd, mt)? we pay out the ass for skilled labor in mn compared to nd yet home prices in Fargo and bis are asinine. sd labor was slightly cheaper, and haven't built anything in mt to know.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
anyone know how we compare to our neighbors on this (mn, sd, mt)? we pay out the ass for skilled labor in mn compared to nd yet home prices in Fargo and bis are asinine. sd labor was slightly cheaper, and haven't built anything in mt to know.

mt and mn are both union states, nd and sd are not...

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
i get that, sorry should've phrased my question better. why do homes cost damn near the same in mn as nd?
at one time I was building homes in ND and MN. Cost me 10K more for the exact same home in MN. But that was fifteen years ago. It's pretty close to the same now. MN had more restrictive codes back then and the permit fees were insane. Now we have the same codes aside from heat recovery ventilators. And the permits are as high if not more here.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Come on down to the Black Hills of SD. I live in a new neighborhood, plain jane house. A clone of mine just came up for sale over 250k. 2300 sf finished, both levels included. 60' x 110' lot. 4 beds, 2 baths. That is nearly highway robbery. Most homes in the area that are new in the 1500-1650 sf. range (main floor only), with unfinished basement, are going for 300k on a small lot. It doesn't take anything to touch the 400k mark.

Lot availability is a huge issue here. Can't touch a city lot for under 50k, anything nice with acreage is 10-15k an acre. And there is minimal competition here with subcontractors, pricing is outrageous. Pretty sad when you can go 400 miles east on I-90 and get a house for almost a third less.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i get that, sorry should've phrased my question better. why do homes cost damn near the same in mn as nd?

they should... other than the union scale, there is little difference... i would say that in mn there are more non productive acres (timber) than in nd to help keep building lot costs lower...

another thing is the availability of a skilled work force... most of the more populated states like mn have population hubs they can go to to work in their trade when times are tough at home... your average skilled tradesman can move to the cities and find a dive apartment to sleep in for $100 per week... in nodak, when the building cycle is on, the hotels are even full, and they will pay $250 per week to park a camper... and there are not near as many skilled people living within 300 miles of their work destination here... people charge more to work away from home, to cover living expenses and hardship...

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Come on down to the Black Hills of SD. I live in a new neighborhood, plain jane house. A clone of mine just came up for sale over 250k. 2300 sf finished, both levels included. 60' x 110' lot. 4 beds, 2 baths. That is nearly highway robbery. Most homes in the area that are new in the 1500-1650 sf. range (main floor only), with unfinished basement, are going for 300k on a small lot. It doesn't take anything to touch the 400k mark.

Lot availability is a huge issue here. Can't touch a city lot for under 50k, anything nice with acreage is 10-15k an acre. And there is minimal competition here with subcontractors, pricing is outrageous. Pretty sad when you can go 400 miles east on I-90 and get a house for almost a third less.
Also if you want to literally live in the Black Hills you really get raped on real estate. Been looking some time for a reasonable cabin with the essentials and man is it high priced. Guess we will keep our camper.
For some reason that darn lottery jackpot won't hit my numbers. Russian conspiracy?????

Last edited:

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any current market numbers? I'm curious how high they are charging "per sq foot" now compared to 2017..

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Price per square ft can be manipulated greatly with finishes,wall height,slab house, roof pitch,garages,rural and so on. Just figure 450k for a pretty basic 3/2 house.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 172
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56