Venison bacon?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curlys is what we used to use which was very good, till we come out with our own Ground & Formed Bacon seasoning!

Mossy,

I wrote you on your web site Contact Us - but maybe you'll answer here. Is there a "non maple" bacon recipe/mix I can use? Most of the time the maple flavor gets to be too much. Any route to "just a touch of maple"?

Thanks!

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
any mods to the owens recipe?
If you like peppered bacon get some coarse ground black pepper. Layer the bottom of the pan with black pepper put Loaf of ground bacon in then cover the top with said pepper. Ends up looking like a lot but once it is sliced it is just on the thin outside. I am sure a guy could use any type of seasoning /rub this way have only done pepper though

- - - Updated - - -

Mossy,

I wrote you on your web site Contact Us - but maybe you'll answer here. Is there a "non maple" bacon recipe/mix I can use? Most of the time the maple flavor gets to be too much. Any route to "just a touch of maple"?

Thanks!
Mossy can answer this better than me but I was also not sure about the maple too..... But after I made it I didn't think it was to Mapley.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want that in my mouth. How big of batch is that Nxtgen?

I used the owens seasoning kit. Full batch is 25#. I made a half batch. Might make the second half this weekend if time allows. Made a batch of MossyMo's prime rib flavored jerky as well. Also very tasty.

- - - Updated - - -

No mods other than a good dusting of pepper prior to smoking

- - - Updated - - -

I also did not think there was much of a maple flavor (which was just fine). If smoked less the maple may be more prevalent.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member

Try whatever you prefer. Tony Cacheros, Zattarins blackened seasoning, straight pepper...........lot's of options. I did a batch of goose last winter that turned out great too. Instead of mixing 50/50 Marty recommended, I believe, an 11 pounds to 14 pounds ratio.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I over slept and skipped breakfast today. this thread is not helping my situation

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK... So Tanya from Owens reports this about the Maple Cure in the recipe:

Most cures contain a sugar or maple sugar, but there is not a maple flavor. We use the same maple cure in our summer sausages – it doesn’t impart any maple flavor.

Tanya

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK... So Tanya from Owens reports this about the Maple Cure in the recipe:

Most cures contain a sugar or maple sugar, but there is not a maple flavor. We use the same maple cure in our summer sausages – it doesn’t impart any maple flavor.

Tanya

Makes sense. I'm not a huge fan of overly maple flavored bacon or sausage. If anyone is on the edge about making a batch of MossyMo's recipe take the dive. You can thank me after you wake up from your bacon coma that will be induced by eating an entire loaf. I smoked mine with hickory but for the second batch i'm thinking about going with apple.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
anybody try making this with more of a 70/30 ratio of venison to pork versus 50/50 or close to? Wonder if that would have too little fat and be really dry?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
NG, I'll bet you'd get 25 bucks for a pack of that. Holy hell man!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone in Fargo area have some of this mossy bacon I could perhaps taste test? Wondering how to divvy up the venison this year tween canning, jerky, and maybe bacon? Hate to make 12 or 25 lb of something me or galwhofishes isn't keen on!

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some for ya, I'm in town this weekend so could drop some off for ya.

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just tried a sample. Pretty good stuff Mossy. I'd describe it as a cross between ham and bacon.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Woodpecker's was excellent. Thanks again Wood.

SizzeLean basically, for those old enough to remember that stuff.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to make some.told my kid about deer bacon and he can't stop asking about it

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Woodpecker's was excellent. Thanks again Wood.

SizzeLean basically, for those old enough to remember that stuff.
You are welcome.........Marty was terrific and patient with all questions the first time I made that stuff. Best advice he gave was don't rush it, use the full three day process to make it. Grind mix on first day, smoke the second day, slice and package the third day.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Talk to Nanky about packaging venison bacon on a lazy boy. That is his forte'

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks #guywhoknowswhatsgood. Venison ribs are worthy of a topic of their own. I have always considered them a delicacy, Will have to try pressure cooking once, All we ever did was boil them ahead of time and let cool before broiling or BBQing them. Don't let the cat too far out of the bag, Right now people will almost pay you to haul venison ribs away but if they ever get a good taste of them that will change in a hurry. Haha Seriously , If you have never had venison ribs that are prepared right it should be on your bucket list.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used Owens BBQ for my ground and formed bacon l smoked last weekend. I have received many compliments on it. It turned out great and tastes great. You have a tasty product MossyMo! Well done!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 56