Venison bacon?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made venison ribs once, and apparently did it all wrong, as my big fat lab at the time wouldn't even eat them.

I might have to try my hand at some of this stuff again, now that I am so much smarter and stuff

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just tried a sample. Pretty good stuff Mossy. I'd describe it as a cross between ham and bacon.

to me it tasted like bacon flavored ground jerky

it was very good but it does not pass for many recipes/combos where true bacon is required - it cannot be fried up crisp like bacon without it turning dry/sad - In my experience just a light browning and leaving it juicy is best - much like proper sausage patties

It sadly won't make the cut for BLTs, etc. where the bacony texture plays a key role.

those who love fried spam will think this is 10x better (You)

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
to me it tasted like bacon flavored ground jerky

it was very good but it does not pass for many recipes/combos where true bacon is required - it cannot be fried up crisp like bacon without it turning dry/sad - In my experience just a light browning and leaving it juicy is best - much like proper sausage patties

It sadly won't make the cut for BLTs, etc. where the bacony texture plays a key role.

those who love fried spam will think this is 10x better (You)

Thank you for your comments Buzz Killington. Ha

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you for your comments Buzz Killington. Ha

Sorry - if it were any other food I would hold my tongue. But we are talking bacon here. Bacon.

Kneel before it's greatness infidel.

Bacon-that-is-all.jpg

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree its not true bacon but I still like it. I alternate between venison bacon, real bacon, and venison sausage so I never get sick of any of it. I diced some up last weekend and put it in broccoli cheese soup and it was fantastic.

Agree with guywhoknowsbacon, DON'T over cook it. just a get it heated up. Maybe if it had a higher pork:venison ratio it would brown up better?

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brother in law made a bunch of this out of Crane. Damned good.

I haven't done this yet, but he said to try some brown sugar with a little cinnamon on it then bake it for a while.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Made up a 25 pound batch and every one i have gave a pack to loves it. My kid was trying to hoard it when he saw me giving some away he went down in the freezer and put a bunch of sausage over the packs thinking that would hide it good enough for him to have the rest to him self

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 208
  • This month: 182
  • This month: 165
  • This month: 140
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 90